Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

David Campese comments

Post by Not a jock »

Campo's sounding off again:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63662122

I guess he has a point but how would you eliminate or lessen the amount of kicking by tinkering with the laws? Possibly:

- ban all kicks outside own 22m
- kicks must land beyond opponents 22m
- kicks musn't go more than 10m (if outside own 22m)
- limit team's kicks to, say, five per half (40 mins)

Could be another example of "many a true word spoken in jest."
Wes

Re: David Campese comments

Post by Wes »

I think the answer to how to stop kicking is to figure out why it's so much better to kick the ball away and adjust that rather than limit the kicking itself. Iff for example, it's too easy to get turned over in contact if you have the ball, figure out why and adjust so that the attacking team has the better chance. That way it'd less advantageous to kick and the kicking would soon drop (note - this is an example, it may not be the case at all!)
I only live there to wind up the population!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

He excludes a lot of people with his view of what the game should be - saying we should prioritise players like, "Cheslin Kolbe, Antoine Dupont, Finn Russell, the Barrett brothers from New Zealand, Willie le Roux," because they're entertaining. Then he says, "We are very unique. All sizes can play our game." Which is it, David?

From my decades at Welford Road, I'd say a 5m pushover try from the forwards has always delighted our supporters just as much as a 55m run-in from one of the entertainers in the backs.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Most people play sport to win.
Amateur or pro.
Why mess with a sport's rules to make it fit someone's notion of entertainment.
A high score doesn't mean it's more entertaining. A 3 point win in a hard fought battle or a 1 nil win can be just as entertaining

Would you expect soccer to scrap goal keepers?

Sure the current game has too much aimless kicking hoping for a mistake. But the breakdown laws without rucking make it too risky to run it out. Random penalties, tackled players maintain contact with the ball long after it has been placed and unbound players going beyond the ball and others going off their feet without being driven or knocked over making it more dangerous than it should be.