Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Italian XV - Saturday 05th November 2022 - KO 1pm

Post by tigerburnie »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... c7b0f99eb4
Be interesting to see how we approach this game selection wise.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Italian XV - Saturday 05th November 2022 - KO 1pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Think we will start with as strong as is fit and available, with hopefully an agreed extended bench to use. Maybe a couple of returnees from injury on the bench along with Atkinson.
Something along the lines of

Cronin, Claire, Cole, Wells, Green, Martin, Ilione, Liebenberg, Wigglesworth, Burns, Nadolo, Scott, Potter, Ashton, Watson.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I hope they use it as a dress rehearsal for the Bath game. Putting out the strongest XV we have available and then hopefully an extended bench as mentioned above with injury returnees, Atkinson and anybody else who may need gametime to cover during the international period.

Something like:

Cronin, Clare, Cole, Wells, Henderson, Martin, Cracknell, Liebenberg, Wigglesworth, Burns, Nadolo, Scott, Cokanasiga, Potter, Watson

Then likes of:

Horton, Whitcombe, Hurd, Green, Jansen, Edwards, Atkinson, Saumaki,
Vanes, Van Wyk, Richardson, Snyman, Ilione, Simmons, Pollard?, Kelly?, Gopperth, Shelley, Ashton?

Be a big bench but hopefully it’ll be allowed.

If it’s just a standard 23 then I’d imagine a cut off at Vanes above to keep the injury returnees for another week perhaps if not ready.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Having seen Pollards latest Instagram post I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at least on the bench.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:49 pm Having seen Pollards latest Instagram post I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at least on the bench.
Back already? That would be ace!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:08 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:49 pm Having seen Pollards latest Instagram post I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at least on the bench.
Back already? That would be ace!
His quote is something along the lines of how frustrating it’s been he’s really motivated and can’t wait to get back out there. I may be reading too much between the lines but for me that’s as near as Borthwicks law will allow to saying he is ready.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Is the game being televised?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:30 pm Is the game being televised?
No you might find some highlights on Tigers TV.
Enough international and premiership rugby on tv
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:30 pm Is the game being televised?
I wouldn't be surprised if we stream it similar to the preseason games, though maybe a small charge?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I hope we don’t rush Pollard back. I was at Sarries! It was too early!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Be interesting to see what we do with the 3 flyhalfs we now have. I presume one might play 15 as we'll want to get minutes into Burns and Atkinson, Pollard will at most be on the bench for a short cameo in the second half.

I presume we'll want a lot of our first choice backs out there to try and get some sharpness into our attack. Up front I'm not sure how many of our backrow we'll risk with Wiese and Reffell on international duty. Similarly we might give Cole and Cronin bench roles to give maybe Whitcombe and Hurd a go. We have more options at lock so could go stronger there to help balance the pack.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Had a bit of time to think about Pollard's post on Instagram

It's a Tigers picture and post is directed at them. So he's expecting to play for tigers not the Boks... well given their Fly Half situation he'd be in the Springbok side if fit.

So on that basis I'm expecting it to be a few weeks min...

So I reckon Watson at 15 and Burns and Atkinson a half each at 10.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I’ve not seen any of Pollards insta posts but… Understood his injury to be a torn meniscus. I think the Boks camp said he had had a bit of an op following Sarries game. That one assumes is an arthroscopy to tidy it up . If that is the case I would be surprised if he was back this early if they want to be cautious. I know these are full time atheletes with amazing rehab programs not relying on a bit of the old NHS, but every one I know who had that took quite a few months to get back to full speed
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:28 pm Had a bit of time to think about Pollard's post on Instagram

It's a Tigers picture and post is directed at them. So he's expecting to play for tigers not the Boks... well given their Fly Half situation he'd be in the Springbok side if fit.

So on that basis I'm expecting it to be a few weeks min...

So I reckon Watson at 15 and Burns and Atkinson a half each at 10.
Pollard being fit enough for a cameo off the bench in a friendly is different from being fit enough to play internationally. Would be an early comeback though.

I reckon Watson might get a portion of the game on the left wing as the sort of strike winger type role. Get his hands on the ball more, get him coming off the wing using his fast feet. A bit of time at 15 as well might be a good call, wouldn't be surprised if Burns and Atkinson did half as 10/15 and then the other half 15/10.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think given the situation Pollard was never going to be with the Boks and they would to see him get some minutes in his legs anyway. The Steyn injury changes things slightly but I honestly don’t think he was ever in the Boks picture for November and his surgery was around a month ago.

All guess work of course

TFS the Instagram story was originally on his account then Tigers picked it up and copied it which could give it some more credibility