Local rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Local rugby

Post by tigerburnie »

Last but one game for our local National league sides this weekend, Loughboro' Students are away to the very west of Cornwall to play Redruth, a side normally always at the top of the league and I would expect them to continue with a home win. The Students began the campaign well but have faltered on the softer ground and may find this a long trip with scant reward.
Hinckley are also on the road travelling West to Old Redcliffians a side that sit mid table and I think home advantage could swing it, but Hincks are fighters after a top four finish, they just could pinch this one.
Leicester Lions are at home to Exeter University, a good students side who a bit like Loughboro' began the season well, but have faltered recently, confident the Lions will want to finish their home games this season with a win as they will be presented with the Champions Trophy after the match.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes congratulations to Leicester Lions on a brilliant season and I wish them well next year in Nat 1, it will be a big ask.

More locally it's the Leics RU County Cup Final on Monday April 24th at Welford Rd. Tickets are available from the Tigers;

https://tickets.leicestertigers.com/en- ... ay-tickets

The Colts final kicks off at 6pm between Hinckley and Leicester Forest and the main event is at 8pm; Market Harborough (aka Kibworth) v Oadby Wyggs or Leicester Forest.

I think I'm right that this is the first appearance in the final for Mkt Harb/Kibworth (correct me if I'm wrong!), so a really big night for the Club after fantastic wins v Syston and Lutterworth to get to the final.

Hope to see a few of you there!!
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck in the final, I remember going there with Wigston back in the 1970's, great night out.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

For those south of the city who fancy some free rugby on a Friday evening.........................
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=77 ... 2006712797
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Saturdays last game at home in National 2 for a while(I hope)
Leicester Lions v Exeter Uni
http://www.leicesterlionsrfc.co.uk/matc ... gramme.pdf
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

This coming weekend sees the last games for the counties National league sides, Loughboro' Students are at home to Bristol side Clifton, Clifton sit 3rd in the table and Students are 6th, this could be a close call, even a draw, but I tipped a home win, should be a great game to watch.
Hinckley are at home to Bournville who sit in one of the relegation spots and will be fighting for their side. Hincks have slipped to 5th and they stated a top four spot was their aim, so expect a full on battle here too, but I tip the home side to nick it.
Leicester Lions are away to Hornets who are based in Weston Super Mare in Somerset, they too are in the drop zone and fighting for league survival, so won't be a push over for the league champions, but I just don't see the Lions losing.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Local rivals lock horns at vets level on Wednesday
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=785 ... 2006712797
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:43 am Yes congratulations to Leicester Lions on a brilliant season and I wish them well next year in Nat 1, it will be a big ask.

More locally it's the Leics RU County Cup Final on Monday April 24th at Welford Rd. Tickets are available from the Tigers;

https://tickets.leicestertigers.com/en- ... ay-tickets

The Colts final kicks off at 6pm between Hinckley and Leicester Forest and the main event is at 8pm; Market Harborough (aka Kibworth) v Oadby Wyggs or Leicester Forest.

I think I'm right that this is the first appearance in the final for Mkt Harb/Kibworth (correct me if I'm wrong!), so a really big night for the Club after fantastic wins v Syston and Lutterworth to get to the final.

Hope to see a few of you there!!
Just another reminder about the County Cup Final next Monday at Welford Rd, please come along and support local rugby - see all above. The men's final is now confirmed as Market Harborough v Oadby Wyggs. Two evenly matched sides I would suspect.
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

National league rugby came to an end for this season yesterday with all three sides ending with wins.
Hinckley beat Bournville 34-28 to finish 5th in the table, Loughboro' Students had an excellent win against 3rd placed Bristol side Clifton coming out 53-38 winners finishing just behind Hincks in 6th. Leicester Lions trip to the seaside at Weston Super Mare almost ended up a damp squib, but an 80th minute penalty saw them win 12-15, both sides scoring a brace of tries.
So a new chapter for Leicester Lions, they lost one game all season at home to runners up Dings Crusaders from Bristol, a 22 match unbeaten run saw them Champions for their first time.
National 1 still have games to play next week as of yet the line up is not certain as anyone of Sale FC, Rams or Cambridge could go up into the Championship as Champions.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Hope a few of you can make it tonight to MWWR for the County Cup Final.

Oadby Wyggs v Market Harborough KO 8pm plus the Colts final Leicester Forest v Hinckley KO 6pm.

Tickets can still be bought on line from the Tigers or pay on the gate.

Both should be excellent games and local rugby needs as much encouragement/support as possible, so please come if you can!!

Obviously the majority will be neutral but all I can say is; COME ON HARBOROUGH!!!! :smt003 :smt003
Soggypitch
bendy

Post by bendy »

Two very close matches - Forest edging the Colts match 27-24 and Harborough winning the Seniors cup 42-41!

Well played all teams, and brilliant to see so many people in the crowd. I don't think they announced an attendance, but I'd say there were at least 4k people there.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

bendy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:28 am Two very close matches - Forest edging the Colts match 27-24 and Harborough winning the Seniors cup 42-41!

Well played all teams, and brilliant to see so many people in the crowd. I don't think they announced an attendance, but I'd say there were at least 4k people there.
Yes agreed two fantastic games, credit to all the players. It was a great atmosphere, and an amazing experience for all Market Harborough supporters, in the final for the first time, in their centenary year, and then winning such a closely fought game.

It was the power and size of Wyggs against the smaller but faster Harborough team. It made for great entertainment with Harborough outscoring Wyggs by 7 tries to 5.

Great night all round!!
Soggypitch
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:34 pm
bendy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:28 am Two very close matches - Forest edging the Colts match 27-24 and Harborough winning the Seniors cup 42-41!

Yes agreed two fantastic games, credit to all the players. It was a great atmosphere, and an amazing experience for all Market Harborough supporters, in the final for the first time, in their centenary year, and then winning such a closely fought game.

It was the power and size of Wyggs against the smaller but faster Harborough team. It made for great entertainment with Harborough outscoring Wyggs by 7 tries to 5.

Great night all round!!
Just sorry I couldn't make it Soggy but sounds like a great night! Let's hope Eddie and Jack were able to look down from on high as it is a testament to their great work for the club for so many years.
Hehehehehehehehe
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Thanks Trendy and yes you are completely right about Eddie Gregory and Jack Morris, two club legends. They would have loved to be there!!
Soggypitch
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Congratulations to both winning clubs, to Harborough my Grand son's old club and to Forest, my old club when playing years ago as Dixie OB and Old Bos. Well done to all, sorry but due to sad circumstances, I could not be there.