Head On : Rugby Dementia and Me

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Head On : Rugby Dementia and Me

Post by mightymouse »

Could easily finish tne game off as a professional sport .. because.. I’m not sure where 300 million is going to come from
A sad situation all round
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

mightymouse wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:42 am Could easily finish tne game off as a professional sport .. because.. I’m not sure where 300 million is going to come from
A sad situation all round
This is it, unless this is insured, there is no way that the governing bodies and afford these payouts as is. The only way I can see the RFU being able to afford such a payment would be to sell off Twickenham (not the worst thing I have ever heard but not under these circumstances).

Sadly, of these cases succeeed, it may just be the tip of the iceberg/.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I did see on Twitter some chat suggesting due to possible use of recreational white powder being rife in the game that a number of these claims are expected to be settled outside of court for significantly less than what is being claimed for, due to it being hard to prove what effect certain things have on the mind in combination with the concussive impacts players took.

As I say I've only seen this discussed on twitter not from any sources but things like that may affect the outcome of cases that's for sure.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:25 am However, any legal action could be complicated and protracted, and any conclusion may be years away.
So not todays problem as such. I understand why the players are taking the action though. And maybe the unions and authorities should be doing more. Like the injured jockeys fund perhaps.

I wonder what is the position with players today. I mean, although there is obviously more to know, the risks are now broadly known. So presumably no claims for this generation going forward.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ourla wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:35 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:25 am However, any legal action could be complicated and protracted, and any conclusion may be years away.
So not todays problem as such. I understand why the players are taking the action though. And maybe the unions and authorities should be doing more. Like the injured jockeys fund perhaps.

I wonder what is the position with players today. I mean, although there is obviously more to know, the risks are now broadly known. So presumably no claims for this generation going forward.
As long as all of the regulations are in keeping with the current medical advice and are being complied with then there should not be issues going forward.

Where we may have issues is the cases that we have all seen, even recently, where there is clearly a concussive incident and the player remains on the pitch.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

It is a deeply sad thing what has happened to Steve T, however I'm an ex-player and we all knew what could potentially happen by playing a full on contact sport like rugby. There are many more professional players (like Lewis Moody) that have put their heads in awful places on multiple occasions and have not suffered the same fate.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:09 pm It is a deeply sad thing what has happened to Steve T, however I'm an ex-player and we all knew what could potentially happen by playing a full on contact sport like rugby. There are many more professional players (like Lewis Moody) that have put their heads in awful places on multiple occasions and have not suffered the same fate.
Do away with the so called 'breakdown' back to stood up shoving and hooking.
I'm not cynical just experienced
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:09 pm It is a deeply sad thing what has happened to Steve T, however I'm an ex-player and we all knew what could potentially happen by playing a full on contact sport like rugby. There are many more professional players (like Lewis Moody) that have put their heads in awful places on multiple occasions and have not suffered the same fate.
I would be interested to see what the occurance of this is in the ammateur game that was playing with all sorts of head impacts and in the pre player safety days you got a sponge in the face and shoved back on the pitch. No concussion protocols and, in fact, it was rare to even seek medical advice.

Please do not take this as a post about how great rugby was in the wild west, lawless days, quite the opposite. My concern is the amount of cases going unreported at lower league levels that really should be brought to light as well.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chewbacca wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:24 pm
Do away with the so called 'breakdown' back to stood up shoving and hooking.
That isn’t going to have any effect on the damage caused by tackling, not just the collisions but the whiplash too.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

The only way you are truly going to protect players is if you either make the game some form of touch rugby or you just disband the game totally. Either way the game of rugby does not survive
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:31 pm The only way you are truly going to protect players is if you either make the game some form of touch rugby or you just disband the game totally. Either way the game of rugby does not survive
Sadly I have to agree. When faced with this, the NFL could not find a solution but they could find enough money to make the problem go away. Sadly rugby does not have enough money to get through this first tranche of law suits let alone provide a long term financial solution for those impacted by it.

At the end of the day, this lawsuit is not getting the attention it deserves, both to highlight the problem but also because the entire future of the game at all levels (as per my previous post, this could then see indivuals suing clubs at all levels) and the entire future of the sport could depend on the outcome.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I do agree with that there is the potential for individual suits against clubs.

There was an occasion a few years back when a local club playing at level 5 was selecting players that were well short of that standard, some of whom hadn’t played since they were 16/17. The danger these players were put in through irresponsible coaching and selection was off the charts.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:37 pm At the end of the day, this lawsuit is not getting the attention it deserves, both to highlight the problem but also because the entire future of the game at all levels (as per my previous post, this could then see indivuals suing clubs at all levels) and the entire future of the sport could depend on the outcome.
Seems a bit overdramatic to me.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The day boxing is banned is that day I will start to worry about rugby.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Well it is odd that there are no claims on boxing’s authorities that I have heard of.

I think why we have heard less about junior rugby is because of the training aspect, and the difference in power.

This have only come to light since professionalism .. repeated-sub concussive knocks every day in training for years. Add that to the power and intensity of the professional game.. that is that has made this issue prevalent