Tigers v Sale (H) - Saturday 08th October 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Sale (H) - Saturday 08th October 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:33 pm Tigers have been a victim of their own success….players like Wiese, Dolly, Porter, JVP, Steward, Martin getting International honours since getting into the First team….pleased for the players but it does bring disruption to the team along with the injuries.
Perhaps given the age of some of our players winning the premiership last year was the pinnacle of their career & ambition.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I wasn’t there and haven’t seen the full game, but that Roebuck try was pretty soft. He just turnstiles through 2 defenders. That sort of stuff can be fixed ie: next time hit him ! Not sure about yesterday , but the tries we’ve conceded that I have seen, or some of them, are where we kick and the chase either isn’t good enough, or there’s a system breakdown, where someone doesn’t come up in line, or the spacing is not great. These things are easy to fix, you work on them during the week. Unfortunately, we’re next at the best exponents of the counter and running in tries from broken field. Even at our best last year we didn’t win, so it’s going to be tough. From what I know of Sinfield, he won’t settle until we get it right and I back him to. I don’t buy the old players thing, look at Ashton’s resurgence under us, and Wigglesworth.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I said before the game, I did not like the favourites tag .. the team looked lacklustre in the second half and so were the crowd. It was as if we expected to win and there was not enough fight.
There were times when we attacked that the Sale defence was so robust and aggressive that it reminded me of ours last year. Times we were smashed back yards in the tackle. In fact I was surprised when he took Martin off because I thought he looked our best defensive player by far.
I know we desperately need Weisse and Montoya but to me they both look like they need a break.
The whole team looks disjointed and lacking a bit of belief and I’m afraid so does the crowd.
I want to see the favourites tag banished for the rest of the season and the return of the underdog mentality that got us so far so often with seemingly so little last season .. Bordeaux away springs to mind.
Doesn’t get any easier .. Quins away and then it’s not long before it’s Autumn internationals and we lose half the team again .. if Jones et al still want them on this form!!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I thought last season our coaches got away with a 1 plan season, ie hoof it very high, Ford was an expert at it, our players were then able to chase and get under it.

This year we have the very same game plan, but we don't have the excellence required to implement it, our kicking has been so poor and we only have Potter to chase a losing cause.

Its not going to work again, sadly we don't have the speed in the backs for another plan, ie to get ball out wide fast enough, so they have to revert to the kicking game, and just go round and round again with 1 plan.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Glass half full for me, we lost by 10 points not playing great, errors etc. Be a bit more clinical and cut out the errors and we’d have won that.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

To me it is looking like one of those seasons. Nothing inherently wrong, just not clicking at the moment. Cannot be easy when you do pre season with half of the first team missing then have to integrate them in to the routines as well as get them used to new players whilst, at the same time, making sure everyone has game time because you are going to lose half the team again in a few weeks. Effectively we are victims of our own sucess and that is going to result in some sketchy performances with the contstant in and outs of international squads. Sadly, the players we do lose are all in important positions, in fact hard to think or worse positions to lose than 2, 8, 9, 10 and 15.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:07 pm I thought last season our coaches got away with a 1 plan season, ie hoof it very high, Ford was an expert at it, our players were then able to chase and get under it.

This year we have the very same game plan, but we don't have the excellence required to implement it, our kicking has been so poor and we only have Potter to chase a losing cause.

Its not going to work again, sadly we don't have the speed in the backs for another plan, ie to get ball out wide fast enough, so they have to revert to the kicking game, and just go round and round again with 1 plan.
Last season we had several players targeting catcher and those they might pass too forcing a kick or being tackled before they got moving. Now the chase is slow and they are up and running before we are close enough to make a tackle and when we do try the tackling is feeble.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:55 pm To me it is looking like one of those seasons. Nothing inherently wrong, just not clicking at the moment. Cannot be easy when you do pre season with half of the first team missing then have to integrate them in to the routines as well as get them used to new players whilst, at the same time, making sure everyone has game time because you are going to lose half the team again in a few weeks. Effectively we are victims of our own sucess and that is going to result in some sketchy performances with the contstant in and outs of international squads. Sadly, the players we do lose are all in important positions, in fact hard to think or worse positions to lose than 2, 8, 9, 10 and 15.
So are you saying this is Unique to our club?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Roebuck skips through Burns and Steward and scores… Wigglesworth misses Roebuck and Quirke scores…..easy fixes surely.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:27 pm Roebuck skips through Burns and Steward and scores… Wigglesworth misses Roebuck and Quirke scores…..easy fixes surely.
Yep. As our rugby coach used to yell at us in school "Tackle him, not tickle him!"
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:27 pm Roebuck skips through Burns and Steward and scores… Wigglesworth misses Roebuck and Quirke scores…..easy fixes surely.
Well Burns said post match it was an easy fix but it begs the question why was this not done post Sarries :smt017
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:57 am
Yep. As our rugby coach used to yell at us in school "Tackle him, not tickle him!"
I shout that out from the stands every home again, but it has no effect :smt003