Quick Throw In

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Quick Throw In

Post by trendylfj »

I believe they have also been trialing a lineout laws change with regard to "not straight". If the non-throwing-in team does not contest the lineout then the "not straight" sanction does not apply. I think it was in Australia it was being trialed as one of the means of "speeding up" the game including other changes - 30 seconds for a line out to be taken, time at the ruck, and most interesting for me - 3 phases only to the advantage law - but there are many more "tweaks".

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... d-25123558
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:03 pm
LE18 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:00 pm On rules/laws, can a free kick go straight into touch and opposition get the line out? I ask because at game on Tuesday Tigers were brought back and a scrum given. Friends said it cant, I believe it can and said that the player must have tapped it first before kicking it to touch. Is this correct?
Yes if it’s from within the 22. If you kick a free kick straight out from outside your 22 then it bought back.
Ah, Ok that's what happen, their player charged, ours kicked straight into touch from outside 22. Thanks.
I think it’s the same as if you called a mark ran out of your 22 before kicking the ball and it went straight into touch.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:21 pm I believe they have also been trialing a lineout laws change with regard to "not straight". If the non-throwing-in team does not contest the lineout then the "not straight" sanction does not apply. I think it was in Australia it was being trialed as one of the means of "speeding up" the game including other changes - 30 seconds for a line out to be taken, time at the ruck, and most interesting for me - 3 phases only to the advantage law - but there are many more "tweaks".

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... d-25123558
Sensible to me if the opposition doesn’t compete then it shouldn’t have to be straight down the middle, as long as it is with the boundaries of the line out.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Thanks for comments
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

LE18 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:00 pm On rules/laws, can a free kick go straight into touch and opposition get the line out? I ask because at game on Tuesday Tigers were brought back and a scrum given. Friends said it cant, I believe it can and said that the player must have tapped it first before kicking it to touch. Is this correct?
Yes if it’s from within the 22. If you kick a free kick straight out from outside your 22 then it bought back. I’m going to add I think because I’m starting to doubt myself.
Didn't the laws change slightly a year or two after the famous Hartley:Barnes incident in the Final? Still one of my most memorable incidents at a rugby match, especially as I was surrounded by disbelieving Saints fans at the time!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Grimlish wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:02 pm
Yes if it’s from within the 22. If you kick a free kick straight out from outside your 22 then it bought back. I’m going to add I think because I’m starting to doubt myself.
Didn't the laws change slightly a year or two after the famous Hartley:Barnes incident in the Final? Still one of my most memorable incidents at a rugby match, especially as I was surrounded by disbelieving Saints fans at the time!
2013 final. YOU F***ING CHEAT
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Re the lineout rule that the ball to travel 5metres.
Why if the thrower holds their fixed position but the player at front of line steps forward towards touch and turns it to a 4metre throw is that rule not broken?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:51 pm Re the lineout rule that the ball to travel 5metres.
Why if the thrower holds their fixed position but the player at front of line steps forward towards touch and turns it to a 4metre throw is that rule not broken?
To the best of my knowledge it is. The line out throw has to pass beyond the 5 meter line, otherwise there isn’t a lot of point in that line being there
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Rugbygramps,
That's my understanding. The short sharp to the front of line throw, over or underarm has been seen so often over some years now and I can't recall it being regulated.
Sir at the back.of line must have minimal depth percentage but.their 'Touch' can call it.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:50 pm Rugbygramps,
That's my understanding. The short sharp to the front of line throw, over or underarm has been seen so often over some years now and I can't recall it being regulated.
Sir at the back.of line must have minimal depth percentage but.their 'Touch' can call it.
Maybe once in a blue moon, but the touch judge should call it if it happens.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

2nd question re a free kick, can opposition charge a free kick?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:24 pm 2nd question re a free kick, can opposition charge a free kick?
Yes they can. As an example if someone taps and goes from 5 meters out as long as the defending side start behind the try line they can advance once the ball is tapped.