Quick Throw In

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashurstwoodtiger

Quick Throw In

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

I always thought that the same rules applied for a quick throw in as normal throw in however just rewatching Saints game and in the first 33 secs Saints take a quick thrown in ball goes backwards at least 2 meters to player on half way line. Play continues no action taken no comment by commentators. Has Rule 19 been changed. As this decision cost Tigers a distinct field position
Thoughts appreciated
parvacat

Re: Quick Throw In

Post by parvacat »

Teams can take a quick lineout and it does not have to be straight, just between the mark where the ball went into touch and their own goal-line, but it has to go five metres and has to be taken by a player, like the normal lineout, with both feet out of play.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

parvacat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:54 am Teams can take a quick lineout and it does not have to be straight, just between the mark where the ball went into touch and their own goal-line, but it has to go five metres and has to be taken by a player, like the normal lineout, with both feet out of play.
Don't start the both feet out of play debate again ....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:13 pm
parvacat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:54 am Teams can take a quick lineout and it does not have to be straight, just between the mark where the ball went into touch and their own goal-line, but it has to go five metres and has to be taken by a player, like the normal lineout, with both feet out of play.
Don't start the both feet out of play debate again ....
😂😂 I think we established that if your foot is on the line then you are in touch.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As a line out has not been formed, there's no requirement for the throw to be straight, but then again most weeks there doesn't seem to be requirement for a throw to be straight even when a lineout has been formed..................................you can tell I'm an ex lineout jumper can't you lol.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:17 pm As a line out has not been formed, there's no requirement for the throw to be straight, but then again most weeks there doesn't seem to be requirement for a throw to be straight even when a lineout has been formed..................................you can tell I'm an ex lineout jumper can't you lol.
Seen a lot more not straights given this season.
Ashurstwoodtiger

I may have miss understood Rule 19 then or it may have changed

Rule 19 Quick Throw In
(e) At a quick throw-in, if the player does not throw the ball in straight so that it travels at least 5 metres along the line-of-touch before it touches the ground or another player, or if the player steps into the field-of-play when the ball is thrown, then the quick throw-in is disallowed. The opposing team chooses to throw in at either a line-out where the quick throw-in was attempted, or a scrum on the 15-metre line at that place. If they too throw in the ball incorrectly at the line-out, a scrum is formed on the 15-metre line. The team that first threw in the ball throws in the ball at the scrum
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It seems (I'm no expert on the laws here) that if a player throws the ball in on a quick lineout to themselves, then it should be straight ie at 90 degrees to the touch line, it has always been that quick throws to other players can be any angle you like as long as it goes the 5 metres in from touch, but I have noticed they are all passed backwards, never seen on chucked in towards the opposition.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:31 pm I may have miss understood Rule 19 then or it may have changed

Rule 19 Quick Throw In
(e) At a quick throw-in, if the player does not throw the ball in straight so that it travels at least 5 metres along the line-of-touch before it touches the ground or another player, or if the player steps into the field-of-play when the ball is thrown, then the quick throw-in is disallowed. The opposing team chooses to throw in at either a line-out where the quick throw-in was attempted, or a scrum on the 15-metre line at that place. If they too throw in the ball incorrectly at the line-out, a scrum is formed on the 15-metre line. The team that first threw in the ball throws in the ball at the scrum
Am i reading rule correctly and lineout should have been called back? (my bolds)
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not seen that section of the law before. To the best of my knowledge as long as the ball travels backwards more than 5 yards between the point of touch and your goal line, then it is ok. Can honestly say I have never seen a quick line out, if taken from the correct place ruled not straight
Ashurstwoodtiger

That is what I thought. FAR .or clear cut than some given/not given on normal on normal throw ins
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

On rules/laws, can a free kick go straight into touch and opposition get the line out? I ask because at game on Tuesday Tigers were brought back and a scrum given. Friends said it cant, I believe it can and said that the player must have tapped it first before kicking it to touch. Is this correct?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:00 pm On rules/laws, can a free kick go straight into touch and opposition get the line out? I ask because at game on Tuesday Tigers were brought back and a scrum given. Friends said it cant, I believe it can and said that the player must have tapped it first before kicking it to touch. Is this correct?
Yes if it’s from within the 22. If you kick a free kick straight out from outside your 22 then it bought back. I’m going to add I think because I’m starting to doubt myself.
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Just goes too prove if we didn't already know Sir has an awful lot to think about on the spur of the moment don't envy them at all
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:03 pm
LE18 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:00 pm On rules/laws, can a free kick go straight into touch and opposition get the line out? I ask because at game on Tuesday Tigers were brought back and a scrum given. Friends said it cant, I believe it can and said that the player must have tapped it first before kicking it to touch. Is this correct?
Yes if it’s from within the 22. If you kick a free kick straight out from outside your 22 then it bought back.
Ah, Ok that's what happen, their player charged, ours kicked straight into touch from outside 22. Thanks.