Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Post by Big Dai »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:36 pm We had five of our defensive stalwarts from last season missing yesterday: Kelly, Potter, Porter, Scott and Moroni. Last season these 5 between them plugged the defensive line and were quick enough to cover across and make scramble tackles when we were exposed on the flanks. In the backs apart from Youngs and Burns there was not one established / settled combination playing together and I emphasise playing not training. Watson, Cockanasiga, Gopperth and Pollard are still settling in. So I am not surprised that we were found out. The Saracens backline, by comparison, was a settled unit who are used to playing together and know their system inside out - the result of which was in evidence yesterday. Several of their forwards also had standout games.

Kelly and Moroni missing I can account for (injured and departed) but the other three, unless they were injured, mystifies me.Therefore I have to put this defeat.down to either a selection gamble that didn't pay off or a desire to rotate and see some of the newer players in action and accept the consequences with.the bigger picture in mind.

For the first time I find myself thinking about the coaching team "you got that one wrong."
I thought that when the side was announced. Can only assume there's a bigger picture view...
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Interesting to see comments/gloats from Sarries fans on social media. I admit to asking where the cup is! One riposte from a Quins fan (I think) noted that Sarries had 15 internationals on the park at one point (two from second tier), and that we had lost Genge and Ford, as well as not being able to afford to keep Moroni.😁
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:56 pm Interesting to see comments/gloats from Sarries fans on social media. I admit to asking where the cup is! One riposte from a Quins fan (I think) noted that Sarries had 15 internationals on the park at one point (two from second tier), and that we had lost Genge and Ford, as well as not being able to afford to keep Moroni.😁
It was always going to be difficult this year after loosing Ford, Genge and Moroni. Prior to last year 13 had been a problem for us for some years. Yes we had Manu when available and fit but that was regrettably infrequent. Lets hope Kelly is back soon.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Latest taunt.

Some one asked when Leicester would be kicking off against Saracens on Saturday.

......the answer came "About every ten minutes!"
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:21 pm Latest taunt.

Some one asked when Leicester would be kicking off against Saracens on Saturday.

......the answer came "About every ten minutes!"
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044

If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:56 pm Interesting to see comments/gloats from Sarries fans on social media. I admit to asking where the cup is! One riposte from a Quins fan (I think) noted that Sarries had 15 internationals on the park at one point (two from second tier), and that we had lost Genge and Ford, as well as not being able to afford to keep Moroni.😁
The official Saracens club tweets is gloating personified and classless as per normal. Let's not forget as they have that the Tigers team that took the pitch yesterday had 11 changes from the cup final team.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Every team has a few fans that say things normally after a few beers
A2O
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am no expert but I am pretty sure that no team has ever won the league or any cup in October, so Sarries can gloat away all they like…History never lies..
There is never any points for 2nd place...
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We only need to get top 4
A2O
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:03 pm
The official Saracens club tweets is gloating personified and classless as per normal. Let's not forget as they have that the Tigers team that took the pitch yesterday had 11 changes from the cup final team.
Ah, yes; all in line with their proud statement about their core value - humility.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:26 pm
Ah, yes; all in line with their proud statement about their core value - humility.
Hmm...about as true as if they had honesty and integrity as core values.

Looking at some of the players they have and some of the reported wages they have, I would not be surprised if they are still cheating financially. Without the cheating, at least previously, they would not have won what they won, and more annoyingly, their current ability is a direct result of this cheating, having gained the winning experience, and their younger players gaining knowledge from these overpaid players. They should have been relegated for a couple of seasons and their medals and titles removed, IMHO.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:07 am
Pellsey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:48 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:36 am Didn’t see the second half so can’t comment but seems like a pretty comprehensive demolition!

What happened to Pollard? HIA or injury? Hope it’s nothing serious
We were still in the game until 60th minute, then we capitulated! In a way, a bit like the Saints game from last week, but we had 15 drooping heads in the last 20 mins of the game!
Yes this ^^ - the second half we came out a lot better, putting pressure on them and it looked as though the tide had turned. Then a couple of silly penalties, they marched up the field and scored, then the floodgates opened. It just shows you a couple of different people come into the back line and it takes a while to gel. If the communication is slightly off and players are hesitant then it’s not the best place to make those errors. Not sure why Gopperth is getting most of the blame.

Massive game next week….already.
Thanks all
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

chris111 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:25 pm Saracens are unrecognisable from last year - and unless Tigers can develop a cutting edge in the backs they’re in danger of being left behind in a rapidly evolving game. The power that did for Saints last week is not enough to beat better sides. Whilst it was a painful watch today from a Tigers’ perspective, I have to say the performance from McFarland today was sensational….and although I appreciate that many on here dislike Ben Earls for his cheerleading antics, he was also seriously impressive today.
Agree 100% we need to develop some speed, we are being torn apart by fast running and passing threes.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:02 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:26 pm

Hmm...about as true as if they had honesty and integrity as core values.

Looking at some of the players they have and some of the reported wages they have, I would not be surprised if they are still cheating financially. Without the cheating, at least previously, they would not have won what they won, and more annoyingly, their current ability is a direct result of this cheating, having gained the winning experience, and their younger players gaining knowledge from these overpaid players. They should have been relegated for a couple of seasons and their medals and titles removed, IMHO.
Guys, we were well beaten. Show some dignity and take it on the chin.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:50 pm
chris111 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:25 pm Saracens are unrecognisable from last year - and unless Tigers can develop a cutting edge in the backs they’re in danger of being left behind in a rapidly evolving game. The power that did for Saints last week is not enough to beat better sides. Whilst it was a painful watch today from a Tigers’ perspective, I have to say the performance from McFarland today was sensational….and although I appreciate that many on here dislike Ben Earls for his cheerleading antics, he was also seriously impressive today.
Agree 100% we need to develop some speed, we are being torn apart by fast running and passing threes.
We can develop fast passing but we lack the pace of the likes of Sarries, Quins, Irish, Newcastle, Saints and Chiefs to name but a few.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity