Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Post by RagingBull »

Chessum and wells is strong.
Personally thought we missed Green also.

Same time where is the money going to come from for stronger locks and centres?
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Missing Scott, Porter and Kelly at centre is always going to have a massive continuity issue in the midfield. Moroni showed his marshalling skills last season and continues with Newcastle this season, another big loss and probably the most regrettable for SB as it seemed Moroni wanted to stay.

If fit i would put Pollard in at centre while Kelly is out injured, we need a leader in there.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

On another note why was Pollard risked on Sarries plastic pitch, rumours flashing around saying he has aggravated his knee again.

SA medical team said he only had a 20% chance of playing in the November internationals, seems like a miraculous recovery or maybe not!!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Thought Martin played well when he came on .. big hits and solid carries …
We also have more 2nd rows on the production line as we saw on Tuesday
Henderson, Chessum Junior, Manz
We just need Green to keep going, held together with gaffer tape if necessary until they are all old enough to play big boy rugby.?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Completely agree with others regarding Moroni. I appreciate that there was not much the club could do about the departure of Genge and Ford but Moroni is a world class player who clearly wanted to stay, it's a real shame the money men and women couldn't have sorted something out cap-wise to keep him on our roster. In my opinion, he was our best centre last season and arguably our best defensive centre since Anthony Allen. We are really missing his presence and I think that will become more apparent as the season goes on. What I loved about Matias was that he was as solid as a rock and a guaranteed 7/10 every time he played. It's strange as you would think he was very much a Borthwick-style player in that regard.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:30 am After watching the replay it just reinforced my desire for a commentary free option. Dad and I just want the crowd noise and the grunt and groan. Perhaps ref mic.

No commentary or "knowledgeable" insight from Lol, Hugo, Ben or Austin. Pundit means "Wise man." A wise man knows when to keep his cake hole shut.
I would vote for that! I can't stand listening to their "knowledgable" opinions.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Agree, Postiger; it seems the "moneyball" signings don't always come off. I've always had a lot of time for Gopperth, but it doesn't seem to be working. Admittedly, the back line keeps changing so continuity is a problem
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Obviously we all wanted to keep Moroni, but disagree about the centres. Think we’ve got plenty of quality when everyone is fit and firing.

12. Kelly, Cokanasiga
13. Porter, Scott

For me we lack some quality on the wings. Obviously Watson is getting back to fitness but with Nadolo going, really need Potter to step up. He looked great in the warm ups but needs to cement a place in the starting XV. Just feel we need some out and out pace.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think we are struggling with the lack of centres and wings who have come up through the academy somewhat.
We did well to get Kelly and Porter but neither come renewals will have the connection that the likes of Steward and JVP have to tug on.
Although personally I would argue Kelly was the best centre for us last season.

But then last season we shouldn't have won as many games as we did anyway really looking back.
I remember the reaction during Connacht away last season at 50 minutes in.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:18 pm Obviously we all wanted to keep Moroni, but disagree about the centres. Think we’ve got plenty of quality when everyone is fit and firing.

12. Kelly, Cokanasiga
13. Porter, Scott

For me we lack some quality on the wings. Obviously Watson is getting back to fitness but with Nadolo going, really need Potter to step up. He looked great in the warm ups but needs to cement a place in the starting XV. Just feel we need some out and out pace.
I agree to a point. There is no doubt we have quality centres, but what we massively missed yesterday was somebody who could organise the backs, apart from the few minutes Pollard was on the fake pitch. As I mentioned before, Ford was able to do this very well, but without him and Moroni, the backs look lost in defence. Maybe Porter could step up to do this alongside Pollard, but I think with Moroni organising the outside defence yesterday, it would have been a different game.

Some serious pace out wide would be nice especially in defence, but as was pointed out, it is not in SB's game plan.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Thought Potter looks out of salts so far this season. For me he is way off his level from last season. I hope he can rediscover his form and quickly we need him all guns blazing. As I have said many times our attack is still abysmal and I for one cannot understand why it has not developed like our competitors as it continues to misfire and stagnate. Its a miracle that we won the premiership with arguably one of the most ineffective attacks in the premiership.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 pm Thought Potter looks out of salts so far this season. For me he is way off his level from last season. I hope he can rediscover his form and quickly we need him all guns blazing. As I have said many times our attack is still abysmal and I for one cannot understand why it has not developed like our competitors as it continues to misfire and stagnate. Its a miracle that we won the premiership with arguably one of the most ineffective attacks in the premiership.
we won the premiership because we ere by far the best team in the league. There are many ways to score tries and forwards are just as important as backs. Yes we could play Like Saints or Irish but that doesn’t win you trophies. I’m sure our attack will improve when we have our best players available. Agree we would benefit from a real speed merchant so lets hope the rumours about Radwan are true.
A2O
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:04 pm Agree, Postiger; it seems the "moneyball" signings don't always come off. I've always had a lot of time for Gopperth, but it doesn't seem to be working. Admittedly, the back line keeps changing so continuity is a problem
Gopperth looked his age. Don't think he anticipated playing so much.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:57 pm We were beaten by the better side on the day, Mark McCalls game plan was far superior than Borthwicks today and they deserved their win, hopefully we will learn from the defeat, lots of poster on here started to blame the ref (what’s new) when we started to lose but I thought Carley had a decent game, he’s a top class referee, well respected amongst his peers, you don’t get to be an international referee unless your very good in what you do. STOP BLAMING THE REFEREE FOR OUR FAILURES.
You clearly didn't watch the 2003 world Cup final!
But you are right the ref wasn't the cause of pur defeat.
Our midfield was exposed, defense wasn't great and they committed enough men far faster to the breakdown than us. We got turned over when they got quick ball.
Our possession wasn't translated into points.
We let our line put be disrupted by one man. If you have someone like McFarland it is essential to call line outs where there are more than one jumper. If you have 2 or 3 then he can only cover one of them.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

We had five of our defensive stalwarts from last season missing yesterday: Kelly, Potter, Porter, Scott and Moroni. Last season these 5 between them plugged the defensive line and were quick enough to cover across and make scramble tackles when we were exposed on the flanks. In the backs apart from Youngs and Burns there was not one established / settled combination playing together and I emphasise playing not training. Watson, Cockanasiga, Gopperth and Pollard are still settling in. So I am not surprised that we were found out. The Saracens backline, by comparison, was a settled unit who are used to playing together and know their system inside out - the result of which was in evidence yesterday. Several of their forwards also had standout games.

Kelly and Moroni missing I can account for (injured and departed) but the other three, unless they were injured, mystifies me.Therefore I have to put this defeat.down to either a selection gamble that didn't pay off or a desire to rotate and see some of the newer players in action and accept the consequences with.the bigger picture in mind.

For the first time I find myself thinking about the coaching team "you got that one wrong."
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!