Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Post by ourla »

Saracens were on fire today and we most certainly weren't.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ourla wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:32 pm Saracens were on fire today and we most certainly weren't.
If they play like that, difficult to see any team live with them and take anything away from the game. Very clinical and their game plan just clicked perfectly.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I said when we signed Gopporth that I was not impressed and could not see what he offered over and about our current Centers, and after today, I would consign him to the Prem cup squad where he will be able to some influence. Sarries were simple better in all departments and I cannot blame Matt Carley for the loss. We were 2nd best in most areas of the field. Thought Freddy had an OK game and certainly stood up to the pressure very well. Ollie Chessum surely has to start next week and I am sorry but can't see Kini in most starting XV's. Their backs took ours to the cleaners in most aspects BUT they can't play at that standard all season - can they??????
Hehehehehehehehe
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:20 pm I never could understand why we signed Gopperth. A really nice guy who was once superb; but why bring in a fading fading lily?

It's going to be a tougher season this time round. after losing three of our finest players.
For me Gopperth would have been perfect for a coaching spot, great player with huge amounts of skills to pass on!! Seems like SB has focused on him as first team for the first few weeks which is odd!!
Last edited by baz1664 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:24 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:20 pm I never could understand why we signed Gopperth. A really nice guy who was once superb; but why bring in a fading fading lily?

It's going to be a tougher season this time round. after losing three of our finest players.
For me Gopperth would have been perfect form a coaching spot, great player with huge amounts of skills to pass on!! Seems like SB has focused on him as first team for the first few weeks which is odd!!
Most likely because of Kelly’s injury and Potter not fit (which leaves someone else available in the centres).
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Can only say…”well done Saracens”.

The score line was probably fairy nuff. It was painful, but much better early season against a squad with about half our first choice starters missing and on a pound stretcher plastic pitch.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

With the sole exception of last years final, I have never watched Sarries live for about 7-8 years, and never against anyone except Tigers. I record our matches against them and watch the recording if we play half decently and/or get a result. Based on the comments here, I get the feeling that maybe i needn't bother watching today's game 🤔
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:54 pm Saracens where the better team across the park today, particularly the backs. Some days everything clicks for you. Every pass sticks, every bounce turns your way. and Sarries had that today. Macfarlane in particular was wonderful - almost single handedly destroyed our line out. That boys special. Ref was fair to both sides and I thought the TMO was very good (don’t say that often)

On the flip side, that’s still not our full squad, Cronin was excellent (Ellis, whose Ellis :-) Watson is clearly not match fit yet and the tackling on the side channels was abysmal. Haven't a clue why you’d play pollard, in fact any player, on that pitch coming back from Injury. My personal view is we are starting to see the impact of letting Moroni go. Our 13 channel was a gaping hole which Sarries exploited well..

And I will continue to say it. Those artificial pitches should be banned.

One of those days, fairly beaten, we move on

Every word . Agree. Say no more.

RIP. Move on. Learn lessons . COYT.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Saracens are unrecognisable from last year - and unless Tigers can develop a cutting edge in the backs they’re in danger of being left behind in a rapidly evolving game. The power that did for Saints last week is not enough to beat better sides. Whilst it was a painful watch today from a Tigers’ perspective, I have to say the performance from McFarland today was sensational….and although I appreciate that many on here dislike Ben Earls for his cheerleading antics, he was also seriously impressive today.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I think Pollard went off for an HIA ? Maybe not….did anyone see him limping or looking in discomfort ? On the game, it proved that Phil Cokanasiga, as good as he looked last week was eaten alive by Farrell and Tompkins. Watson looked rusty, not surprised. Murimurivalu as well, they tore us apart. The value of Potter and Porter was there for all to see. There was no connection down our left hand channel…..time and time again. Clare was picked off in the line out too often. I always think just throw to the front…the banker ball…..if it’s not functioning properly.

Positives ? Cronin, Cracknell is as hard as nails….Steward world class every time he takes the field. Everyone else….meh. Move on quickly.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Back from the match.
8 changes and today I think most sides would have beaten us.
I’m not sure how good Sarries are as our defence was all over the place.
The ref was not to blame: you should have heard the Sarries fans all around me: in the first half they thought he’d come on our bus.
Last season was a complete shock( a bit like when City won the title) and the other teams, apart from Sale, didn’t really think we could keep on winning.
Now it’s Sale next week: this will be a great test of how good our coaches are: and the players too.
Sale have a very good pack and fast backs.
As for the injuries: if Hanro is out for any amount of time we are in trouble.
Lastly, I was amazed we didn’t take the 3 points twice in the fist half when it was obvious that without the departed Genge, Montoya, Weise( and Dolly) our maul isn’t going to trouble sides like Sale, Sarries, Gloucester and Exeter!
Well done Sarries.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bad loss, Borthwick will fix it.

Fly halves we lost two fly halves (one was a fly half & an inside centre)
Ford and Lancaster

We needed to sign at least one more fly half given Pollard will be away in international periods. That leaves us with 3 fly halves. Burns, Gopperth & Hegarty (who is leaving) so we definitely needed a 10.

Now as it turns out our primary 12 has an injury and Gopperth covers 12. Porter was on England duty (but is a better 13 than 12) Scott also plays 12 but is a better 13. So we have a player who is a very experienced 12. Cokanasiga is coming through and will develop.

I have no issues with Gopperth at 12 today, especially as Porter needed one more rest week, he isn't our first choice and his style of 12 may not be a perfect fit for us, but 12 is where we needed support. We played against possibly the best midfield this week.

I genuinely think Pollard, Kelly, Porter is better than Saracens, so not worried about it personally.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

JG looks a leggy 40 year old centre, no pace or spurt, watched him get smoked by the youthful Sarries backs today so many times, keep him as a 10 when required!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:31 pm JG looks a leggy 40 year old centre, no pace or spurt, watched him get smoked by the youthful Sarries backs today so many times, keep him as a 10 when required!!
Perhaps a classic example of you get what you pay for.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:56 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:31 pm JG looks a leggy 40 year old centre, no pace or spurt, watched him get smoked by the youthful Sarries backs today so many times, keep him as a 10 when required!!
Perhaps a classic example of you get what you pay for.
I see Gopperth as a game controling stand off against the weaker teams in the prem when we need to rest others for the bigger games. I think his time will come for 2 to 3 matches.