Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Post by sapajo »

Well on a positive note save Pollard who we have yet to see kick for Tigers I must say he is our best place kicker.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

We were beaten by the better side on the day, Mark McCalls game plan was far superior than Borthwicks today and they deserved their win, hopefully we will learn from the defeat, lots of poster on here started to blame the ref (what’s new) when we started to lose but I thought Carley had a decent game, he’s a top class referee, well respected amongst his peers, you don’t get to be an international referee unless your very good in what you do. STOP BLAMING THE REFEREE FOR OUR FAILURES.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Watched the game.again
Critical moments were our line out for sure

There were 3 or 4 “key ref” decisions involving
Watson Reffell and Cockasinga.and without any doubt they affected the result

Ultimately, the end result was that it didn’t go our way this time but there was a ref involved in the process 🙄
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:57 pm We were beaten by the better side on the day, Mark McCalls game plan was far superior than Borthwicks today and they deserved their win, hopefully we will learn from the defeat, lots of poster on here started to blame the ref (what’s new) when we started to lose but I thought Carley had a decent game, he’s a top class referee, well respected amongst his peers, you don’t get to be an international referee unless your very good in what you do. STOP BLAMING THE REFEREE FOR OUR FAILURES.
I don't think anybody is blaming the ref for our failures. We definitely deserved to lose yesterday because we were just nowhere near good enough.

But your saying "Carley is a top class referee" made me chuckle. The problem is that the majority of referees at the moment are simply not good enough, and so that internationals can even take place, somebody has got to referee them, so the less incompetent ones are chosen. He might be one of the less incompetent ones, but this does not make him good.

IMHO the good news is that some are getting better. CMK is, at least for me, a prime example, as even is Dickson. Both are getting a lot better. Luke Pearce, apart from his disasterous showing against South Africa for Australia (I think it was), is normally now a comparitively competent sir. In his early years, Barnes was not exactly great! I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Carley has a very long way to go from his 2nd half's showing yesterday.
Last edited by Pellsey on Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Didn’t see the second half so can’t comment but seems like a pretty comprehensive demolition!

What happened to Pollard? HIA or injury? Hope it’s nothing serious
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:36 am Didn’t see the second half so can’t comment but seems like a pretty comprehensive demolition!

We were still in the game until 60th minute, then we capitulated! In a way, a bit like the Saints game from last week, but we had 15 drooping heads in the last 20 mins of the game!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:36 am Didn’t see the second half so can’t comment but seems like a pretty comprehensive demolition!

I've just watched back 66th minute or so when Pollard came off but I could not see why he came off, nor could the commentators care - they were too busy lauding Sorries. The only graphics they showed were the changes to Sorries.

We had to play the last 15 minutes with 9 forwards though, I think, (although the game had already been lost by then), as Joe T. came on for Pollard. I guess this didn't help.

I think the real proof of character will have to come next week. If we don't properly rebound against Sale, then it could be a long season.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:48 am

We were still in the game until 60th minute, then we capitulated! In a way, a bit like the Saints game from last week, but we had 15 drooping heads in the last 20 mins of the game!
Yes this ^^ - the second half we came out a lot better, putting pressure on them and it looked as though the tide had turned. Then a couple of silly penalties, they marched up the field and scored, then the floodgates opened. It just shows you a couple of different people come into the back line and it takes a while to gel. If the communication is slightly off and players are hesitant then it’s not the best place to make those errors. Not sure why Gopperth is getting most of the blame.

Massive game next week….already.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:04 am
BigDan50 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:57 pm We were beaten by the better side on the day, Mark McCalls game plan was far superior than Borthwicks today and they deserved their win, hopefully we will learn from the defeat, lots of poster on here started to blame the ref (what’s new) when we started to lose but I thought Carley had a decent game, he’s a top class referee, well respected amongst his peers, you don’t get to be an international referee unless your very good in what you do. STOP BLAMING THE REFEREE FOR OUR FAILURES.
I don't think anybody is blaming the ref for our failures. We definitely deserved to lose yesterday because we were just nowhere near good enough.

But your saying "Carley is a top class referee" made me chuckle. The problem is that the majority of referees at the moment are simply not good enough, and so that internationals can even take place, somebody has got to referee them, so the less incompetent ones are chosen. He might be one of the less incompetent ones, but this does not make him good.

IMHO the good news is that some are getting better. CMK is, at least for me, a prime example, as even is Dickson. Both are getting a lot better. Luke Pearce, apart from his disasterous showing against South Africa for Australia (I think it was), is normally now a comparitively competent sir. In his early years, Barnes was not exactly great! I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Carley has a very long way to go from his 2nd half's showing yesterday.
Couldn’t agree more, Tigers performance was not up to scratch and we didn’t deserve to win but there were a number of obvious and clear incorrect decisions by Carley that were blatant and easy to identify even to just a supporter watching on the TV.

His break down interpretation for both sides was miles apart. Earl was given free rein at the breakdown even if he was legal or not. He called mauls in seconds after a tigers player was held up for a short period of time. The clear Reffell turnover before the Sarries try ignored. Even McFarland who had a good game was handling the Tigers jumpers which was clear as day and even mentioned by the BT commentators saying he got away with a few there.

Both the Tigers and Carleys performance was well below standard yesterday and no fan should just sit back and not have an opinion on it. He is as much accountable as anyone in any job.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The Watson penalty was bizarre for a supposed additional roll on the floor. Momentum is a thing Matthew !
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Father is grumpy this morning.....and Posh Richard is in full "gloat mode". I don't know why after the money Gloucester allegedly list yesterday.

After watching the replay it just reinforced my desire for a commentary free option. Dad and I just want the crowd noise and the grunt and groan. Perhaps ref mic.

No commentary or "knowledgeable" insight from Lol, Hugo, Ben or Austin. Pundit means "Wise man." A wise man knows when to keep his cake hole shut.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

I expected a loss away to Sorries.
We have a completely different team to the one that won the Prem.

One thing I think could help us if we had two rows of defensive line, the front line greater with the rear one shorter and able to drift to stop the attacking team getting behind us a la Saints game and Sorries.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think most weren’t expecting a win, but I wanted a LBP and TBP. Both seemed achievable come the 60th minute mark then it all fell apart.

Think if we’d gone full bore on the team selection we could’ve come away with something. Next week Sale will be a massive game.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:29 am The Watson penalty was bizarre for a supposed additional roll on the floor. Momentum is a thing Matthew !
He did one roll to present the ball to his team mates, if he didn’t roll then he was handing the ball to Sarries, happens with every player who is tackled. Another bizarre decision by Carley.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:53 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:18 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:10 pm

Weak centres again with no cover on the bench :(
Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not. Gopperth has not done a lot wrong, Cocanasinga deserves a shot. You have someone with international experience at 12 on the bench and Murimurivalu can move in 1.
If anything you could say you’ve got 3 fullbacks in your back 3.
Not tongue in cheek at all both worthy centres but not up to what we want, although i agree Phil could be a jewel but yet to be seen
Definitely not tongue in cheek and I will go on to add we need stronger second rows and more of both
God created rugby so footballers have heros too