Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Saturday 01st October 2022 - 3-00PM

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 looking at the Instagram photos, not likely but I get where RB is coming from. Going to Sarries is a big test and it is a very long season. Never a bad game to start Wigglesworth and Ashton who know the nuances of that pitch, give Lenny and Steward some time on the bench.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean you have to give them a certain amount of rest weekends would think Sarries away is a event one to do it with potentially
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

One thing I've learnt thus far.

Don't try and out guess Borthwick
.....and don't predict a score!

OK so that's two things.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:21 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:06 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:09 pm

Any team (that abides by the salary cap) would feel a significant loss of both Itoje and Isiekwe, given they are two inernational standard players (Itoje is World class not just international class)

I know that most on here disagree but I still see second row as a huge weakness of ours
Certainly 2nd row is an area we should be hopeful of having ascendancy.
With the development of Chessum and the likes of Wells, Green and Snyman, plus Henderson and Chessum coming through I wouldn’t call it a huge weakness. In fact I would say they more than held their own against Saints both of who’s locks have been named in England training squad.
Funny I thought 1 of the Saints locks from Saturday was an Aussie international, but you reckon he is in the England squad I must have missed that :smt017 :smt018
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:17 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:06 am
With the development of Chessum and the likes of Wells, Green and Snyman, plus Henderson and Chessum coming through I wouldn’t call it a huge weakness. In fact I would say they more than held their own against Saints both of who’s locks have been named in England training squad.
Funny I thought 1 of the Saints locks from Saturday was an Aussie international, but you reckon he is in the England squad I must have missed that :smt017 :smt018
You are right he was it’s Ribbans and Coles in the England squad, my apologies
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Last season Borthwick seemed to rest a few big players for the Sarries matches, I wasn't sure why but wonder if it was so they hadn't played the big boys when we met in the final. Dunno if he'll do the same this season.
Can understand certain players not wanting to play on the plastic but getting a win down there would be a confidence booster.

Don't think I'd be playing Pollard on that pitch even if he was fit. Not straight after his injury anyway.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Agree re Pollard. Says in that mercury article that he was a travelling reserve for the Saints game, so assume if Burns or Gopperth had gone down in the warm up he would have been on the bench.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 am
Chobbsy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:17 am

You are right he was it’s Ribbans and Coles in the England squad, my apologies
It's fine I was only messing
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Re. Pollard, after finding out he was a travelling reserve for the saints game I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Sarries game.

1. It's the acid test for his knee, you never fully know till it's tested fully, if it's not great then his rehab still includes the AI's meaning we've not lost anything as he'll still be unavailable for us each way.

2. In the past we've shown we're not afraid to pick players on plastic pitches, even those with knee issues. Risks etc are probably better understood by Aled and the likes.

3. A player with a monster boot vs Sarries is a good thing

4. Pollard will love the opportunity to line up vs Farrell etc
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also I think when we rest Steward next may be depending on where Watson is in rehab...

If Watson is close then I suspect we'll wait till he's back to rest Steward, if Watson's a while away we may rest Steward earlier
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:43 pm One thing I've learnt thus far.

Don't try and out guess Borthwick
.....and don't predict a score!

OK so that's two things.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Totally agree !!!
Less is more....
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I can't think of a better time to go away fully loaded and win, especially without their 2 locks and former prop. Plenty of time for resting players, not after just 1 game back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

LE18 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 pm I can't think of a better time to go away fully loaded and win, especially without their 2 locks and former prop. Plenty of time for resting players, not after just 1 game back.
Agreed, rest the big boys against the weaker opposition that the rest of the squad can take care of.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’d go fully loaded - Saracens are still finding their feet and have a few kingpins missing. Golden opportunity. But in Borths we trust.

Then again - Plastic pitches - yuk. Should be banned. Does any player actually enjoy playing on them?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:26 pm I’d go fully loaded - Saracens are still finding their feet and have a few kingpins missing. Golden opportunity. But in Borths we trust.

Then again - Plastic pitches - yuk. Should be banned. Does any player actually enjoy playing on them?
I don’t think anyone can you certainly see players do anything they can not to dive on them, and I’m fairly sure the likes of Malins don’t wear tights when playing on a grass pitch.