PRC Rd 2 v Wasps (H) -Tuesday 27th September 2022 - 7-00pm ko

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: PRC Rd 2 v Wasps (H) -Tuesday 27th September 2022 - 7-00pm ko

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I think, generally, the kicking from hand was poor. First half we had a couple of phases and tried to kick, even if we were on the front foot. Strange gameplan but, like Saturday, we stayed in the fight and grew into the game.

Illione was exceptional, as was Lewis Chessum. Edwards was excellent and controlled the game well. Manz had real purpose when he came on.

The replacement props made a difference I thought and gave the maul some momentum.

Lots to work on but also lots of current positives too.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I went tonight and was pleased I did

Edwards Illione Chessum all the real deal and are future top players.. hopefully for Tigers.. but there were other good solid performances from other young players .. Henderson, Jansen, Cusiak, Woodward.. Walsh was a bit of a curates egg.

People like Hurd Horton Manz Whitcome didn’t let anyone down either

Good performance off the bench from Lady ga ga, and others
Last edited by mightymouse on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Chessum MOTM for me
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I voted for Illione myself
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

mightymouse wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:06 pm
Edwards Illione Chessum all the real deal and are future top players.. hopefully for Tigers..
Agree with this. I was going to say ‘but they are still a few seasons away?’. Right up to the point I realise how quickly Steward, Chessum the older, JVP etc have developed from PRC subs to not just 1st Team regulars, but England Internationals.

What a great time to be a Tigers fan 👍
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Absolutely agree
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

just watching it back after work.

Ged Walsh had a mixed bag of a game, great from the tee but kicking from had was poor, all round play good though.

Illone will be a star, once he gets into the first XV the rest will struggle to shift him, Chessum Jr and Henderson both looked really good, Edwards looks like another off the production line.

I like the look of Jansen every time I see him I'd like him to get more game time with the first XV.

Browning defended well shame we didn't get to see him in attack more
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I’ve seen Browning about 3 times now and he is the one I am not wholly sold on .. I’d have to see a lot more of him .. I’m not sure if he is any better than Olofella .. better in defence I suspect but doesn’t have the same attacking flair
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:05 am I’ve seen Browning about 3 times now and he is the one I am not wholly sold on .. I’d have to see a lot more of him .. I’m not sure if he is any better than Olofella .. better in defence I suspect but doesn’t have the same attacking flair
I do agree but neither of the wingers got much ball, as others have said Saumaki went looking for it.
Always been a fan of Jansen he offers that physical edge we miss when Wiese is away.

Different standard of opposition I know but I would say Ilione is on a par with Cracknell at the moment, and will only get better.
I wonder if his medical studies mean that he is unable to train fully at the moment which may be limiting first team opportunities
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Agree with others - Ilione, Chessum, Horton, Jansen, Edwards and Saumaki all looked good and pushed their claims for the league.

Lots of positives in the other performances too but the above were those that stood out
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Thought the front row struggled until the replacements came on. Illione looks great and ready for first team. Same with Jansen, so physical and mobile, loads of raw talent, but just needs to get some time against the big boys to polish the edges.
Walsh looked good apart from kicking out of hand, but thats deff something that can be worked on, and its the sort of thing that improves as you do it in actual game time.

In terms of wingers I think they get let down by our game plan sometimes, I don't mean our game plan is wrong, as it clearly works, but if you look at Potter on Saturday, he's a great player and goes looking for the ball. But that means he's sometimes in crowded positions. The first time the ball really ended up on his wing was just after Ashton had come on. Potter would have scored that if the chance had come earlier. Browning a bit similar, like other have said Saumaki went looking and that comes from experience, Browning stayed on his wing and didn't really get many chances.

Cracking game though last night. Austin really liked the Wasps 8!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 am Thought the front row struggled until the replacements came on. Illione looks great and ready for first team. Same with Jansen, so physical and mobile, loads of raw talent, but just needs to get some time against the big boys to polish the edges.
Walsh looked good apart from kicking out of hand, but thats deff something that can be worked on, and its the sort of thing that improves as you do it in actual game time.

In terms of wingers I think they get let down by our game plan sometimes, I don't mean our game plan is wrong, as it clearly works, but if you look at Potter on Saturday, he's a great player and goes looking for the ball. But that means he's sometimes in crowded positions. The first time the ball really ended up on his wing was just after Ashton had come on. Potter would have scored that if the chance had come earlier. Browning a bit similar, like other have said Saumaki went looking and that comes from experience, Browning stayed on his wing and didn't really get many chances.

Cracking game though last night. Austin really liked the Wasps 8!
Austin loved the Wasps 8. I reckon if they had been within 10 points he would have got motm, great engine apparently
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:22 am Austin loved the Wasps 8. I reckon if they had been within 10 points he would have got motm, great engine apparently
Oh yeah, he did mention his engine didn't he..... :smt005
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

What was the attendance figure for last night?
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Qbec wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:54 am What was the attendance figure for last night?
I've not seen any official numbers and they didn't put it on the screen. I would suspect it was around 4-5k from the numbers I saw on the terrace and the H&B Stand