England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Post by RunTigerRun »

With the England training squad being named tomorrow, which Tigers do we think will be named?

Probables:

Chessum, Youngs, JvP, Steward

Possibles:

Heyes, Cole, Martin, Porter

Bolter:

Cracknell
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Post by Rugbygramps »

Depending on the size of the squad, I’d expect to see Heyes, Chessum , Youngs, JVP, Porter, Steward.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think Clare has more chance at being a bolter than Cracknell, what with Cracknell being a Wales U20's player too I think that's highly unlikely.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:45 pm With the England training squad being named tomorrow, which Tigers do we think will be named?

Probables:

Possibles:

Bolter:

Cracknell
Thankfully, I think there's zero chance of both Cole and Heyes being called up. Despite Dan having a stormer at the weekend EJ is waaaaaay too.turbborn to call him up
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:45 pm With the England training squad being named tomorrow, which Tigers do we think will be named?

Probables:

Possibles:

Bolter:

Cracknell
Thankfully, I think there's zero chance of both Cole and Heyes being called up. Despite Dan having a stormer at the weekend EJ is waaaaaay too.turbborn to call him up
That is a huge plus. I can't think of a prem club that has starting props as good as Cronin and Cole that would be available in the international periods...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

These first squads of the season have always had a few curveballs. It isn't an AI squad but a training camp so experienced players who need game time more than a camp will be left with their clubs (but reported as 'dropped' by abject journalism). Then a few junior players will usually be called up so the coaches can expose them to training with internationals early then let them return to club rugby to keep developing without subsequently featuring in the AIs.

I've been very critical of much of Eddie's selection in the last 3 years but using training camps like that I actually really like. Allowing senior players who don't need another training camp time off and exposing young talents to the standards early is actually very similar to what NZ did well in that golden period under Henry and Hansen.

This squad will usually be very different to the one actually used during the November internationals though.

I'd expect Heyes, Chessum, JvP, Porter and Steward to all keep their places. Potentially a recall for Lenny.

Martin has started the season very well indeed so must be in with a shot. He's a more like-for-like backup to Lawes too.

Potter could be an outside bet as well. From memory these squads in the past have seen the likes of Crossdale and Bassett looked at in the back three for instance.

I'd be very surprised if Cracknell got a look in with some of the back row talent in the Premiership. Good player and signing but there are a lot of very good flankers around.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I don't think we'll see any Tigers bolters this time around, Martin will be the closest I'd have thought.

JVP, Youngs, Heyes, Chessum, Porter and Steward all stand a decent chance.

TFS mentions Clare but I can't see it, he's a great hardworking pro but Walker, Singleton and McGuigan are all younger and also in decent form.

Cracknell, I'd be amazed if he got in. Like him a lot as a player for us but he's not enough of a lineout option for what Eddie seems to want at 6, not enough of a breakdown threat when you consider the riches England have at openside and doesn't have the all day carrying game Eddie is on a quest for at 8. Having said that 8 could be a bit open with Simmonds having played less than a half for Chiefs so far this season with Chick and Dombrandt both being injured. There could be a space for someone, though Barbeary or Tom Willis would be more likely shouts there.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The only bolter I can see, and it would be Jones like, is Cocanasinga. It’s just a training squad so could be all sorts in there.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigers are Chessum, Heyes, Porter, Steward, JVP and Youngs.

Article on Sky says it’s happening this weekend, so does that mean players are not available for the Sarries game.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:31 am Tigers are Chessum, Heyes, Porter, Steward, JVP and Youngs.

Article on Sky says it’s happening this weekend, so does that mean players are not available for the Sarries game.
I’ve seen that players are available somewhere but can’t find where it said it. I really hope they are - otherwise we could be struggling at 9!
RichG
Tiger Cub

Post by RichG »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:31 am Tigers are Chessum, Heyes, Porter, Steward, JVP and Youngs.

RFU site says “The squad will meet in Richmond on Sunday 2 October and train at Twickenham Stadium.” Presumably means they will be available on Saturday. Interesting it says Itoje not in squad due to injury.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/en ... uad-220926

Link on the Tigers webpage confirms availability for rounds 4 and 5.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RichG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:38 am

RFU site says “The squad will meet in Richmond on Sunday 2 October and train at Twickenham Stadium.” Presumably means they will be available on Saturday. Interesting it says Itoje not in squad due to injury.
Thanks all. Yes Itoje listed as injured along with Isekwe
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

England training squad
Forwards: Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers), Alex Coles (Northampton Saints), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears), Jamie George (Saracens) Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers), Jonny Hill (Sale Sharks), Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints), Tom Pearson (London Irish), David Ribbans (Northampton Saints), Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks), Patrick Schickerling (Exeter Chiefs), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Will Stuart (Bath), Hugh Tizard (Saracens), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Jack Walker (Harlequins), Jack Willis (Wasps)

Backs: Henry Arundell (London Irish), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath), Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints), George Furbank (Northampton Saints), Will Joseph (London Irish), Jonny May (Gloucester), Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Guy Porter (Leicester Tigers), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers), Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks), Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It is reported in today's Times that Cockers has said that Dan Cole, "..is still in contention".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina