Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/RassieRugby/status/ ... ZfXMA&s=19

Just seen this from Rassie, is there a risk do people think that we may lose Liebenberg to the South Africa "A" team?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:33 pm https://twitter.com/RassieRugby/status/ ... ZfXMA&s=19

Just seen this from Rassie, is there a risk do people think that we may lose Liebenberg to the South Africa "A" team?
I hope not, there are plenty of back rowers in SA. I also wonder what benefit he would get from it, I think it’s too late for him to break into their RWC squad now.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:45 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:30 am Did I read there has been an issue with Schickerling eligibility, and is Collier injured ?
With Stewart injury they have now gone from plenty of strength to a bit of an issue. Sinclair, Heyes and 1 other.
No doubt that Cole can still perform at test level
Schickerling is an odd one. Someone on Twitter has taken an interview of his to the Mail where he explains how he is eligible for England and actually then cross-referenced the rules showing he's ineligible and he (plus England calling him up for Aus) were wrong.

Not been acknowledged officially, but seems pretty clear cut to me, from reading the regs on it that he is mistaken.. England rugby need to acknowledge this though...
Will Kelleher of The Times is now suggesting the Schickerling situation may get more complicated, as he qualifies as EQP in one section of World Rugby's regulations, which is then apparently contradicted by another section. Doh.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:30 am Did I read there has been an issue with Schickerling eligibility, and is Collier injured ?
With Stewart injury they have now gone from plenty of strength to a bit of an issue. Sinclair, Heyes and 1 other.
No doubt that Cole can still perform at test level
Schickerling is an odd one. Someone on Twitter has taken an interview of his to the Mail where he explains how he is eligible for England and actually then cross-referenced the rules showing he's ineligible and he (plus England calling him up for Aus) were wrong.

Not been acknowledged officially, but seems pretty clear cut to me, from reading the regs on it that he is mistaken.. England rugby need to acknowledge this though...
Will Kelleher of The Times is now suggesting the Schickerling situation may get more complicated, as he qualifies as EQP in one section of World Rugby's regulations, which is then apparently contradicted by another section. Doh.
Yeah I think what it is is YES he qualifies as EQP (of which clubs get additional funding for) i.e. for that status of funding they have to keep him EQP as clubs may have banked on this when structuring squads etc.

HOWEVER in terms of eligibility for the national team I don't think he's eligible.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:37 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:18 pm

Yeah I think what it is is YES he qualifies as EQP (of which clubs get additional funding for) i.e. for that status of funding they have to keep him EQP as clubs may have banked on this when structuring squads etc.

HOWEVER in terms of eligibility for the national team I don't think he's eligible.
That's the point, Exeter are claiming that due to the ambiguity he is both EQP and still eligible to be selected for England.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Sean Robinson called into the England squad. At least I don’t think he was there before.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:06 pm Sean Robinson called into the England squad. At least I don’t think he was there before.
Interesting. Not a huge surprise perhaps as he's been on the periphery of Jones' squads before.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:16 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:06 pm Sean Robinson called into the England squad. At least I don’t think he was there before.
Interesting. Not a huge surprise perhaps as he's been on the periphery of Jones' squads before.
TBH not that aware of him. At 31 quite late for a call up. Is he a 2nd row/6 maybe filling the vacant Lawes spot.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:20 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:16 pm
TBH not that aware of him. At 31 quite late for a call up. Is he a 2nd row/6 maybe filling the vacant Lawes spot.
Those were my thoughts. He's been a few training squads over the past 2-3 years. I note Lewis Ludlam is now also on the injured list, so maybe allows a few options in the pack (could we see a return of Maro to 6 in the absence of the other lock/blindsides Lawes and Chessum?).

Also a subtle new name in the injured list, Rato Naulago of Bristol. Another Army player who's scored a fair few tries in both Super League and in Union in his brief professional career. Quite old too at 31 though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Who????!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:36 pmWho????!!!
Rato or Robinson? :smt001
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:29 pm
Robinson,couldn't tell you what club he played for without looking it up
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:36 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:29 pm
Robinson,couldn't tell you what club he played for without looking it up
Ahhh. Good solid player. Almost ever present in the last 2 seasons for Falcons. Generally a 5 last season but in other seasons and this season about half his starts at 6. A short term Lawes/Chessum replacement.

On another note... Jonny May is listed in the squad as FIT! He's got flexible joints! :smt017 :smt003
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We are really struggling for locks! Hill and Itoje look starters at present, but who gets the 19 shirt?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:15 pm We are really struggling for locks! Hill and Itoje look starters at present, but who gets the 19 shirt?
Between Coles and Ribbans.