England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

“Vincent Koch, Trevor Nyakane, Jasper Wiese, Cobus Reinach, Cheslin Kolbe and Andre Esterhuizen have all returned to their clubs as Saturday’s @Springboks clash (with @EnglandRugby) falls out of the international Test window.”

https://twitter.com/chrisjonespress/sta ... 3WsAMfrq_g

Why are England stealing clubs players outside of the test window?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I thought the test window was till 27th November
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:24 pm I thought the test window was till 27th November
I doubt SA would release all those players for and England match unless they had to
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:39 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:24 pm I thought the test window was till 27th November
I doubt SA would release all those players for and England match unless they had to
It is probably the last match of their tour so surplass to requirements.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Can only assume that England agreement with the premiership is for 4 matches but the international test window only covers 3
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scotland played their 1st game outside the window & only had Scottish based players available, Wales will be the same this weekend.

England have an agreement with the clubs for the extra game & the extra training. If Willis has signed a deal with Toulouse that was "live" now he wouldn't be available this coming weekend.

See threads re future of the game etc.....

The Autumn window has been 3 weeks as long as I can remember.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:09 pm

That's why I said dodgy.....not poor.
I'm with you. :smt001
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:19 pm Scotland played their 1st game outside the window & only had Scottish based players available, Wales will be the same this weekend.

England have an agreement with the clubs for the extra game & the extra training. If Willis has signed a deal with Toulouse that was "live" now he wouldn't be available this coming weekend.

See threads re future of the game etc.....

The Autumn window has been 3 weeks as long as I can remember.
This does wind me up. We have an international window and yet few teams actually stick to it and in this instance, the premiership clubs lose their players for another week so as they can line the coffers of the RFU a bit more. I guess the problem is that there are 4 teams that the 6 nations teams want matches with in the Autumn to really get the crowds in (maybe even 3) and so they cannot all get the matches they want in a 3 week period.

Personally, I would like to see tours again so we have a 3 match series against one opponent over a 3 week period during the international break with perhaps the non starting squad members playing a club side or two midweek inbetween. Sadly will not happen as it would mean some of the Northern Hemisphere teams having a series against opposition who are not as big a draw.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Possibly no De Allende too now
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

prem clubs should sue the RFU for the revenue generated from this match as it falls outside the window that would get the RFU to stick to the windows in future
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:37 pm prem clubs should sue the RFU for the revenue generated from this match as it falls outside the window that would get the RFU to stick to the windows in future
The RFU have scheduled training weeks outside the window agreed with Prem teams. This game is instead of one of those.

So clubs lose their England stars for the same number of weeks in total as per their agreement with the RFU
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:37 pm prem clubs should sue the RFU for the revenue generated from this match as it falls outside the window that would get the RFU to stick to the windows in future
They already have, in a way. Its part of the whole package between the clubs and the RFU, along with the release of players for extra weeks of England training camps, rest weeks for England players etc. The RFU pay the clubs - how much I have no idea.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:50 pm
The RFU have scheduled training weeks outside the window agreed with Prem teams. This game is instead of one of those.

So clubs lose their England stars for the same number of weeks in total as per their agreement with the RFU
I would still argue that the situation is not quite the same. For a start, a full week of training followed by a full international must have a bigger impact on the players than simply a training week and when we look at the number of matches that a player should be involved in each season and that adds one that a training week would not. You also have the fact that a training week cost the RFU, a full international at Twickenham against the world champions puts a few million in their coffers.

Plus, and I may be wrong, but are the trianing weeks not Monday to Wednesday or something like that and so the players are back and available for the weekend fixtures.

The time away may be the same but there is a massive difference to the bigger picture both in terms of player welfare and revenue, neither of which are beneficial to a club that is going into an important fixture on Sunday without players that they may well have been able to put on the pitch if there was a trianing week later in the year not to mention the fact that it would be a massive boost for club PR and ticket sales to be able to promote having the England players back on the pitch for the first home game in weeks. Just to the sort of thing that could get a few new faces through the turnstyles.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:39 am
Big Dai wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:09 pm

That's why I said dodgy.....not poor.
I'm with you. :smt001
:smt023
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

England's 26-man squad for South Africa:

Forwards

Alex Coles, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, David Ribbans, Bevan Rodd, Sam Simmonds, Kyle Sinckler, Will Stuart, Hugh Tizard, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola

Backs

Owen Farrell, Tommy Freeman, Jonny May, Jack Nowell, Guy Porter, Henry Slade, Marcus Smith, Freddie Steward, Manu Tuilagi, Jack van Poortvliet, Ben Youngs
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer