England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad - Autumn Internationals

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:15 pm We are really struggling for locks! Hill and Itoje look starters at present, but who gets the 19 shirt?
I don't think we're struggling as much as people think, we're just coming away from a period where we had a crop of good, experienced locks and some young new talent; now through injury (Chessum, Lawes), retirement (Kruis) or otherwise (Launchbury), that illusion has changed somewhat. But Jones is looking at a whole host of options ahead of the RWC and I suspect we'll see at least a couple of Coles (23), Ribbans (27), Robinson (31) and Tizard (22) feature this Autumn.

Who gets the 19 shirt will possibly depend on the make up of the back row, and whether Jones considers using Itoje as a 6 at any point. If he does then Ribbans and Tizard - both out-and-out locks - stand a better chance, if not then both Coles and Robinson have the versatility of having played a fair amount of rugby at 6 as well.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ribbans would be my shout
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not sure about Ribbans - looks powerful compared to the Saints lightweight pack but not sure he has the grunt for the highest levels.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:39 pm Ribbans would be my shout
Yellow card magnet and pretty dirty on the sly
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:09 am
SInce joining Saints over 5 years ago he's had 4 yellows and 1 red over the 7 seasons (or parts of). Hardly a magnet.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

well they must be the times I have watched then, dirty I can deal with, being sly I can't...My opinion
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:14 am well they must be the times I have watched then, dirty I can deal with, being sly I can't...My opinion
Possibly. Little different to the general opinion outside Tigers that Genge was a dirty player with an appalling disciplinary record! :smt003

Danny Care on the other hand. Or Alex Mitchell! :smt003
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:26 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:14 am well they must be the times I have watched then, dirty I can deal with, being sly I can't...My opinion
Possibly. Little different to the general opinion outside Tigers that Genge was a dirty player with an appalling disciplinary record! :smt003

The discussion wasn't about them, it was about Ribban, hence why I answered about him not the others
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:26 am

The discussion wasn't about them, it was about Ribban, hence why I answered about him not the others
Ok...
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:09 am
Sounds like England captain material... (think Farrell, Hartley...)
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

[olist=]
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:00 am Shocked no Daly and Lawrence in the centres. Both back in form and deserve to be in the squad. Daly as a 13 and nowhere near 15 though.
There seems an obsession with Daly.
How many more times does he have to demonstrate he isn't up to it at international level.
Tried in the centres, wing and full back. Doesn't tackle and won't take the ball in the air. The former rules him out in his favourite centre berth and a full back or wing who takes the ball on the ground will be exposed by the chasers.

Some players can cross the gulf between club and international play. Others can't like Cipriani as another example. Big fish in a small pond becomes shark food in the ocean.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Daly is a 23 at best
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Any news on Farrell? Not wishing the worse on him but a part of me hopes he doesn't make this game,I'd like to see how Smith,Slade,Manu goes
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:00 am Any news on Farrell? Not wishing the worse on him but a part of me hopes he doesn't make this game,I'd like to see how Smith,Slade,Manu goes
Farrell available

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63454437
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Will be interesting to see if the captaincy goes back to Farrell, or to Genge or Curry.