Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Rd 3 Premiership games - 23rd to 25th September 2022

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:32 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:15 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:13 pm Looked forward out of his hands and forward travelling through the air. I'm surprised that hasn't been chalked off tbh
Looking at where the players were standing relative to each other and the lines on the pitch I’d say they were level throughout but that’s just my opinion of course. I guess the fact there’s so much debate shows there was nothing clear and obvious to over rule the onfield decision
I thought it was at least a yard forward, look at the hands, look where it was passed from and then compare it to where it was caught.
I have and IMO it wasn’t, but we all have different opinions.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

LE18 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:32 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:15 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:13 pm Looked forward out of his hands and forward travelling through the air. I'm surprised that hasn't been chalked off tbh
Looking at where the players were standing relative to each other and the lines on the pitch I’d say they were level throughout but that’s just my opinion of course. I guess the fact there’s so much debate shows there was nothing clear and obvious to over rule the onfield decision
I thought it was at least a yard forward, look at the hands, look where it was passed from and then compare it to where it was caught.
Agreed
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Forward for me as well.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

+1
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Unfortunately for everyone that thought it was forward the only bloke who’s decision counts didn’t
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:20 pm Unfortunately for everyone that thought it was forward the only bloke who’s decision counts didn’t
Untrue.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:41 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:20 pm Unfortunately for everyone that thought it was forward the only bloke who’s decision counts didn’t
Untrue.
Which bit is untrue. In terms of the game the ref is the sole arbiter and if he thinks it wasn’t forward then in terms of the result of the game it wasn’t because and the try stood. Now we can debate it for ever but that is going to change anything.
So which bit isn’t true??
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

This is exactly why the try was given imo. Even as neutrals opinions are divided on here. Play was allowed to continue as it was borderline, referee thinks it's ok so awards the try, it's checked, it's not clear and obvious.. which it wasn't as otherwise there wouldn't be such a split in opinions so the try is given. I can see it from both sides but advantage to the attacking side as nothing clear.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:43 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:41 pm
Untrue.
Which bit is untrue. In terms of the game the ref is the sole arbiter and if he thinks it wasn’t forward then in terms of the result of the game it wasn’t because and the try stood. Now we can debate it for ever but that is going to change anything.
So which bit isn’t true??
The bit that it's unfortunate for me for a start. I had nothing to win or lose on the game for a kick off. I just think it was forward. What was going through Tempos mind as he followed play I can only guess. A check was carried out.....There was deemed to be nothing clear and obviously wrong with things....which I find odd. It's not a point scoring argument.......just an opinion.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

OK
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exeter V Quins

Post by Smudge »

My family and I watched the game on TV and honestly, it was very entertaining.
As we support neither side, it was surprising how excited we got.
In the end, there was an argument about the validity of the winning try and the decision of
the referee not to disallow it for a forward pass.
The majority opinion in our house, ( with one dissenter) was that it was a clear forward pass.
Sir stated that it was not obvious and therefore would not overturn his on field decision.
Traditionally, the team that looses out don't complain, it being interpreted as "sour grapes".
But what are the opinions of other neutrals on this board?
A life long Tiger
bendy

Re: Exeter V Quins

Post by bendy »

This got quite a bit of chat in the "Round 3 matches" thread.

I think I can pretty accurately say that the overwhelming consensus on here was: "inconclusive".

For me, it looked forward live, and the replay backed that up, but I'm not Sir, so my opinion don't count.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

After the travesty of a forward pass Sarries got a way with last year against Sale I have to come to peace with that for the sake of more attractive flowing rugby this law will not be strictly reffed any more.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

bendy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:09 pm This got quite a bit of chat in the "Round 3 matches" thread.

I think I can pretty accurately say that the overwhelming consensus on here was: "inconclusive".

For me, it looked forward live, and the replay backed that up, but I'm not Sir, so my opinion don't count.
I agree totally with the inconclusive. For me it was level at worse, but that just proves Bendy’s post.
One thing to say rules and laws weren’t ignored Tempest followed the correct protocols. Just as Quins haven’t complained Exeter couldn’t have should the decision have gone the other way.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:24 pm
bendy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:09 pm This got quite a bit of chat in the "Round 3 matches" thread.

I agree totally with the inconclusive. For me it was level at worse, but that just proves Bendy’s post.
One thing to say rules and laws weren’t ignored Tempest followed the correct protocols. Just as Quins haven’t complained Exeter couldn’t have should the decision have gone the other way.
I still think it was clear and obvious from the TV coverage that it was forward, but like posters say the Ref didn't. It was unfortunate that the pitch had no clear mowing lines across it. Is it time to copy markings on American Football pitches and have a line across for each 1 metre (but no 3 downs etc) they would surely aid Refs and TMOs with decisions, every one says they want correct decisions made, hence the introduction of TMOs and this would help to remove another contentious decision area?