Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Postiger2 »

He won't get the headlines but Harry Wells is solid as a rock these days. Very good under the high ball too. Such a consistent player for us.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Coley describing rugby as a game or Rock, Paper, Scissors. So right. Their scissors cut through us when we were trying to wrap them up and we then blunted them on our stones when we stepped up. Score flattered us but if you have a mobile front row it may not be as good pushing. All 8 need to add to the whole effort and having lighter more mobile players has a cost elsewhere.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Just think - we have Montoya, Dolly, Wiese, Kelly, Pollard to come back yet and we aren’t really fully firing yet.

Then when Super Kev gets the defence going for a full 80mins there will be few teams looking forward to playing us - it must be horrible.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

At 14-3 they looked to be blowing us away but the lads did incredibly well to fight their way back into that one. Solid set piece and scrum dominance built an incredible foundation on which one of the most enjoyable second halves of rugby for some time was built.

Lots of stand out players for me. Starting front row were immense. Hanro played well, as did Reffell. In the backs Nadolo was just a powerhouse in attack and Steward was another level today. Not sure Gopperth had his best outing at 12 but he settled after a shaky start and played ok. Burns played well at 10 although did make a few mistakes. Youngs had a big impact off the bench today.

Scrum lost a bit of impetus when the replacements came on in the front row but the accumulation of penalties was about to tell.. Queue my man of the match.. Monsieur Dickson... 3 yellow cards in fairly short order and the rest is history... one for general infringement at the breakdown, then a scrum penalty, then a deliberate knock on about 7m out.. Saints down to 12 and would have been down to 11 and uncontested scrums had a scrum followed but it was just try after try after try...

Steward hat trick, Ashton with his 97th try, and a complete demolition of the Saints on their own turf once again.. Queue a mass exodus from the Garden Centre... That's 100 odd points we have racked up in 2 visits in the Premiership now!

Huge impact today by Youngs, Wells, Cracknell and Cokanasiga.. all 4 to start for me next time round. All added a huge amount and looked very very good. Cokanasiga could be a nailed on starter in the centre this season if he continues like that.

Onwards and upwards.. another 5-0 outing and 11 points after 3 rounds isn't a bad return at all considering we have been away to Exeter and Saints! Still missing a host of key players like Montoya, Wiese, Watson and Pollard (all starters for me) and a few others to add in to the mix to add strength in depth.

COYT :smt038
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

someone abduct Sam Vesty though and get him back home coaching our backs
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Well done Tom Harrison and Aled Walters our scrum and fitness told today.

Whilst our kicking strategy early wasn't perfect the long periods of the ball in play really really helped tire and drain the Saints team. Fantastic performance from the lads!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

surprised Whitcomb has fallen behind Francois Van Wyk though, maybe they just wanted to give him the start in midweek
bendy

Post by bendy »

My oh my. Enjoyed that a lot.

I thought Cracknell looked immense when he came on.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Thought Burns and Gopperth looked better as the game progressed. Only the 2nd time they have played together and Gopperth was 10 last week. Certainly Cocanasinga and Cracknell have got to be looking at starting next week, depending on fitness maybe Porter on the wing as Potter maybe struggling
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

We improved as the game progressed...too much power up front for Saints
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

Was fearing the worst in the first half when saints were opening us up at will. I think saint fans did as well which made it all the more sweet to see them walking out at 74 mins….

How the blumin hell did we turn that around so well? Outrageous performance in the second half. Freddie steward makes such a difference to that team, so assured and his attack is now excellent.

However without doubt the scrum won us that game, and I think it’s got better this season, I’d argue Cronin is a better scrummager than Genge from what I’ve seen so far.

Remy time 🤣
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:34 pm We improved as the game progressed...too much power up front for Saints
Are Saints a fair weather side.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

nicmattyg wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:47 pm Was fearing the worst in the first half when saints were opening us up at will. I think saint fans did as well which made it all the more sweet to see them walking out at 74 mins….

How the blumin hell did we turn that around so well? Outrageous performance in the second half. Freddie steward makes such a difference to that team, so assured and his attack is now excellent.

However without doubt the scrum won us that game, and I think it’s got better this season, I’d argue Cronin is a better scrummager than Genge from what I’ve seen so far.

Remy time 🤣
I think he’s on a par scrummaging with with Genge, another excellent signing,
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:49 pm
nicmattyg wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:47 pm Was fearing the worst in the first half when saints were opening us up at will. I think saint fans did as well which made it all the more sweet to see them walking out at 74 mins….

Remy time 🤣
I think he’s on a par scrummaging with with Genge, another excellent signing,
Yes could be right, probably too early to tell. Certainly looks a good signing and I think we’ve yet to see the best of his game, jackaling etc.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Excellent performance :smt023

On another note Etzebeth just been carded for exactly what Chessum did (push) :smt017