Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:20 pm Off to Saints as usual and agree with others. Last year we had our South African lads and Montoya: all were on fire, especially the away game. Saints should have won the Semi but butchered a couple of run ins.
At least both teams have their English and Welsh lads in the teams. Looking forward to an exciting game. Predict Saints will get 4 tries: hope we can get a few too. Tough set of away games in the first 6 weeks!
I think that’s an excellent point Ian re the away games. The plus sides are at least they are out of the way and those teams still face the trip to MWWR later in the season.
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:52 pm If the Saints No.20s parents aren't AC/DC fans I would be amazed.

Watson from being touch & go for the first game has disappeared.

Saints favourites for this for me, not giving up a BP & gaining at least one would be a decent return, let's hope we play more attacking rugby than the last away game.
:smt038
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:52 pm If the Saints No.20s parents aren't AC/DC fans I would be amazed.

Saints favourites for this for me, not giving up a BP & gaining at least one would be a decent return, let's hope we play more attacking rugby than the last away game.
Concerns me a little that people think this about the Exeter game. Takes both sides for a kicking duel and neither team wanted to risk being turned over in midfield. Do other fans not recognise that as a legitimate tactic or is it just sod the consequences we will run back into their defence from anywhere and if we give a penalty away so be it.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Still no Kelly and if Watson was an aircraft he would be a hangar queen.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:01 pm Still no Kelly and if Watson was an aircraft he would be a hangar queen.
If you looked on the previous page you would see information about Kelly.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Concerns me a little that people think this about the Exeter game. Takes both sides for a kicking duel and neither team wanted to risk being turned over in midfield. Do other fans not recognise that as a legitimate tactic or is it just sod the consequences we will run back into their defence from anywhere and if we give a penalty away so be it.
It's more a general worry about how our attacking plan is (or isn't) shaping up, its wasn't the kicking per se it was the almost complete lack of ball carrying in any form or any attempt to do a back line move, over the previous season it was quite often when we threw the chains off we were the most impressive.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:27 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:14 pm

It's more a general worry about how our attacking plan is (or isn't) shaping up, its wasn't the kicking per se it was the almost complete lack of ball carrying in any form or any attempt to do a back line move, over the previous season it was quite often when we threw the chains off we were the most impressive.
Fair point but you could say that some of that was answered v Falcons. I would like to think we can be more than a one trick pony and adapt the game plan to the opposition
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

For me Saints v. Tigers is physical be it forwards or backs with ball in hand.

I appreciate the skills of kicking but no lover of the tennis that currently predominates. :smt015

Clearances, cons & pens, tactical touch kicks, grubbers and contestable garry-owens are acceptable and tactical with a good element of entertainment. :smt038

I like to win but I also like to be entertained, but that's me.
COYT
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:14 pm For me Saints v. Tigers is physical be it forwards or backs with ball in hand.

I appreciate the skills of kicking but no lover of the tennis that currently predominates. :smt015

Clearances, cons & pens, tactical touch kicks, grubbers and contestable garry-owens are acceptable and tactical with a good element of entertainment. :smt038

I like to win but I also like to be entertained, but that's me.
COYT
My sentiments entirely.

Think Saints backs will take some stopping this year, sadly I think we may be up against it tomorrow, 5-1?
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

I can only assume Whitcombe has messed around in pre season to merit being behind Van Wyk.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Goshengareth wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:08 pm I can only assume Whitcombe has messed around in pre season to merit being behind Van Wyk.
It could be as simple as a knock at the wrong time. Problem is with the midweek games it's hard to swap them around as Whitcombe would have had to go from playing 60 odd minutes Tuesday to if Cronin goes down to 80 tomorrow.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Not expecting a win. Hoping for an LBP
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:05 pm Team:

Steward
Potter
Porter
Gopperth
Nadolo
Burns
JVP
Cronin
Clare
Cole
Chessum
Green
Martin
Reffell
Liebenberg

Taufetee, Van Wyk, Heyes, Wells, Cracknell, Youngs , Cocanasinga, Ashton
It is probably my pessimistic paranoia but we seem to have a so much weaker side than last year, if I was Saints looking at this team it would not fill me with fear

I hope I am wrong
More fool them if they only look at the 23.
Look at Aleds S&C prep and training, Sir Kev's inspiration and drive, Mr Borthwicks Strategy and vision, the rest of the squads push and challenge.On top of that you've got us lot...the best supporters in the land. It's a whole different gravy. COYT....IBWT....Go get em lads !!!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:05 pm Team:

Steward
Potter
Porter
Gopperth
Nadolo
Burns
JVP
Cronin
Clare
Cole
Chessum
Green
Martin
Reffell
Liebenberg

Taufetee, Van Wyk, Heyes, Wells, Cracknell, Youngs , Cocanasinga, Ashton
It is probably my pessimistic paranoia but we seem to have a so much weaker side than last year, if I was Saints looking at this team it would not fill me with fear

I hope I am wrong
Ok kids woke me up early so had a look at this

This year vs last

15. Steward - Burns
14. Potter - Potter
13. Porter - Moroni
12. Gopperth - Kelly
11. Nadolo - Nadolo
10. Burns - Ford
9. Van Poortvliet - Wigglesworth
1. Cronin - Van Wyk
2. Clare - Montoya
3. Cole - Cole
4. Chessum - Wells
5. Green - Snyman
6. Martin - Chessum
7. Reffell - Van Staden
8. Liebenberg - Wiese
16. Taufete'e - Cowan-Dickie
17. Van Wyk - Leatigaga
18. Heyes - Heyes
19. Wells - Green
20. Cracknell - Reffell
21. Youngs - Van Poortvliet
22. Cokanasiga - Hegarty
23. Ashton - Murimurivalu

Positions I think we're the same or stronger than last year

15, 14, 13, 11, 9, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23

Positions I think we're weaker than last year

12, 10, 2, 8, 20

12 - Kelly is better than Gopperth, but it's not a big step down and he's got loads of class and skill.

10 - Ford is better but Burns can hold his own vs the very best, see the final last year.

2 - Montoya is the world's best hooker he'll be missed, but Clare is a quality player still.

8 - Wiese another big miss but our back row tomorrow is overall pretty immense still with Martin and Reffell both big steps up on where they were last year.

20 - Cracknell is a step down from Reffell of last year but still a quality operator

Overall I think we have a better 23 this year. Only thing is this is a bit earlier in the season and we're a bit rustier. However we started the year a bit rusty last season (opposition were rustier than us) and did ok..
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

Like the looks of the team! We are definitely made stronger with a fully fit South African and Argentine contingent. On a side note I’m really liking the look of Cokanasiga think he could become a real good player.

Currently unsure if I’ll be able to watch the game on my phone as I am in the maternity ward waiting the arrival of my first child 😆