Clare
Cole
Chessum
Green
Martin
Reffell
Liebenberg

Taufetee, Van Wyk, Heyes, Wells, Cracknell, Youngs , Cocanasinga, Ashton
It is probably my pessimistic paranoia but we seem to have a so much weaker side than last year, if I was Saints looking at this team it would not fill me with fear

I hope I am wrong
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:05 pm Team:

Steward
Potter
Porter
Gopperth
Nadolo
Burns
JVP
Cronin
Clare
Cole
Chessum
Green
Martin
Reffell
Liebenberg

Taufetee, Van Wyk, Heyes, Wells, Cracknell, Youngs , Cocanasinga, Ashton
It is probably my pessimistic paranoia but we seem to have a so much weaker side than last year, if I was Saints looking at this team it would not fill me with fear

I hope I am wrong
It's definitely weaker - no Genge or Ford for a start. Losing those two would weaken any side.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Disagree - still think that’s a really strong Tigers 23.

Steward, Porter and JVP in the backs after England. Burns back. Very strong bench. Think if we play this right we can win away.
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

I see the former Saints scrum half's brother is reffing.

I have thought KD has been better recently, so will assume absolute impartiality :smt003
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Any team without Genge Wiese MVS Ford, and possibly Montoya I can’t remember, is going to be weaker. That said Nadolo gave them enough problems last year and I much prefer Porter at 13. The youngsters are also a year older and better and there is some real quality coming of that bench.
Cautiously optimistic but I feel getting anything from away games even a lbp is going to be key this season.

I reckon Saints, along with Tigers , Sarries, Quins, Sale, and Exeter will be the 6 sides contesting top 4 this season.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:16 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 am Just one comment. Chris Ashton played really well last Saturday and always has the potential to score from anywhere. I think any 23 that lacks him is missing a vital component. Watson's time will come. However IBWT.
Agreed, Ashton played well and I don’t think he has had a bad game since signing. He looked to have taken a slight knock in the first half, and whilst he played the full 80, I wouldn’t risk if there’s a niggle there.

I’m not totally sure why I have a hunch Watson will be in the 23. It could well be false and my psychy is having an off week! :smt005
Looks like your hunch about your hunch being incorrect was spot on! :smt044
At least one of the hunches was right!! :smt005 :smt043
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If the Saints No.20s parents aren't AC/DC fans I would be amazed.

Watson from being touch & go for the first game has disappeared.

Saints favourites for this for me, not giving up a BP & gaining at least one would be a decent return, let's hope we play more attacking rugby than the last away game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I'm slightly worried about Watson, not to the point where I'm not sleeping, but you have to hope that his "niggle" in the friendly, which is how it looked is being treated as precautionary and we'll see him back when he's fully 100%. Of course he'll just appear in the squad rather than getting any clues, unless anyone has spotted him lurking in any of the training snippets that have been put up. I haven't got the time to go rifling through, pausing and rewinding to see who was behind so-and-so when they were running a backs move !

Anyway, back to tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how we go. Saints don't need any motivation, given we were 3 from 3 last season and battered them at the Garden Centre and went past the 50 point mark. I suspect it may be a harder task tomorrow but you never can tell. Steward being back is a comfort, but we're clearly missing the grunt and dynamism of Wiese and Montoya.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm I'm slightly worried about Watson, not to the point where I'm not sleeping, but you have to hope that his "niggle" in the friendly, which is how it looked is being treated as precautionary and we'll see him back when he's fully 100%. Of course he'll just appear in the squad rather than getting any clues, unless anyone has spotted him lurking in any of the training snippets that have been put up. I haven't got the time to go rifling through, pausing and rewinding to see who was behind so-and-so when they were running a backs move !

Anyway, back to tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how we go. Saints don't need any motivation, given we were 3 from 3 last season and battered them at the Garden Centre and went past the 50 point mark. I suspect it may be a harder task tomorrow but you never can tell. Steward being back is a comfort, but we're clearly missing the grunt and dynamism of Wiese and Montoya.
I’m wondering with Watson whether they have discovered the problem is deeper set than realised and the one thing he needs is time, as I suspect is happening with Kelly. There certainly doesn’t seem to be any rush from Sir Borthwick to hurry players back, which will be good for the future of the club and the longevity of the players.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:25 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm I'm slightly worried about Watson, not to the point where I'm not sleeping, but you have to hope that his "niggle" in the friendly, which is how it looked is being treated as precautionary and we'll see him back when he's fully 100%. Of course he'll just appear in the squad rather than getting any clues, unless anyone has spotted him lurking in any of the training snippets that have been put up. I haven't got the time to go rifling through, pausing and rewinding to see who was behind so-and-so when they were running a backs move !

I’m wondering with Watson whether they have discovered the problem is deeper set than realised and the one thing he needs is time, as I suspect is happening with Kelly. There certainly doesn’t seem to be any rush from Sir Borthwick to hurry players back, which will be good for the future of the club and the longevity of the players.
Very much this and, if as I suspect, we are going to see a reduction in what clubs are willing to pay players over the next few years, the way they are treated when injured is going to be a significant factor in recruitment going forward
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I’m pretty sure last season in that fantastic match Saints were without Lawes, Ludlum, Furbank and Freeman and had Hutchinson at 15. We had Ford, Montoya, MVS, Wiese and Moroni all starting which I would say is a sizeable swing in Saints favour.

It’s all to play for and both sides are very strong but I just have a niggling feeling Saints will edge this one. 4-1 points tally to Saints for my money. I hope I’m wrong (usually am!)

No complaints about the officials from me. We had Foley and Hodnett last year and still put 50+ points on them and Dickson had some good outings on the whistle when he refereed our fixtures… I expect a close game and the lads will certainly be up for this one, as always!

Oh and it’s great to see the Freddies back!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Two strong sides and home advantage will count for a lot, a familiar Sinners side against a relatively new Tigers, but we can still win because we are better............................................................... :smt003
COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrsssssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm
Was talking to Dan Kelly last week and his return is about a month away at this stage but he will not be rushed back. Does not want any repetition of the semi final.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm
Was talking to Dan Kelly last week and his return is about a month away at this stage but he will not be rushed back. Does not want any repetition of the semi final.
Thanks Tigerbeat good to hear
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Off to Saints as usual and agree with others. Last year we had our South African lads and Montoya: all were on fire, especially the away game. Saints should have won the Semi but butchered a couple of run ins.
At least both teams have their English and Welsh lads in the teams. Looking forward to an exciting game. Predict Saints will get 4 tries: hope we can get a few too. Tough set of away games in the first 6 weeks!