Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:41 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:07 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:56 am

He certainly seemed incredulous that it could have been a perfectly legal tackle.
Welsh team mate Reffell that stuffed him good and proper.
Side note re Biggar, it frustrates me how refs seem to allow him to talk to them the way he does when he isn’t even the skipper.
Think he said to Dickson you can’t slow us down we need to play with Tempo. Yes he can he’s the ref.
I am a great admirer of Biggar, he gets away with chomping to the ref in every game he plays in but rarely gets on the wrong side of the ref, fair play to him, poor old Tom Youngs would give away 10 yards for raising an eyebrow.
For all the stats people out there I think there should be a stat for the most yard stolen at penalties, Biggar would top that chart every season, even if he only played twice!
That for me is an issue should be the same for everyone. I know he is very annoying but Nic White was told by the ref in the Aussie match he’d card him if he didn’t shut up.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:11 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:47 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:56 am

He certainly seemed incredulous that it could have been a perfectly legal tackle.
Apparently he wanted a penalty for a deliberate knock on as opposed to an illegal tackle but that was pretty optimistic. Possibly the reason he kept asking Dickson because Dickson just said it was a legal tackle and that wasn't what Biggar wanted checking.

It was a near perfect hit by Reffell, really cut Biggar in half.
Interesting because he passed the ball that split second before Reffell hit him so couldn’t have been a knock on
The ball goes back and not in line with where Biggar is trying to pass which is why he's asking about the knock on. I think it's actually Reffell hitting his arm that sends the ball the way it does rather than the ball coming off Reffell.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:11 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am
I was at Caldy yesterday so missed the game and watched when I got back.
How did Hoyt get on?
He got 20 mins and looked ok, a couple of decent carries but in the scrum, Notts we’re under serious pressure the whole game, pushed off their own ball all match.The game didn’t start until about 3.55 as the ambulance hadn’t turned up, plus the Caldy tannoy wasn’t working so nobody had any idea what was going on ! It was comical !
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Cole was without doubt excellent and I love to see a fully paid up member of the ABC club get MOM but I want to mention Cronin.
I thought he was immense in the scrum. Losing Genge we have all identified is massive however I think what we have lost in the loose we have gained in the tight. Our scrummage looks better than last year and we have Montoya to come .. love it .. just worried about who is behind.
Whilst I agree the bench were superb we cannot forget the attritional work done by the start team for 60 mins that allowed them to complete the destruction in the last 20
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:09 pm Cole was without doubt excellent and I love to see a fully paid up member of the ABC club get MOM but I want to mention Cronin.
I thought he was immense in the scrum. Losing Genge we have all identified is massive however I think what we have lost in the loose we have gained in the tight. Our scrummage looks better than last year and we have Montoya to come .. love it .. just worried about who is behind.
Whilst I agree the bench were superb we cannot forget the attritional work done by the start team for 60 mins that allowed them to complete the destruction in the last 20
Totally agree Cronin has been excellent. Point was made this afternoon that with Cole we have an international tighthead playing for us without the distraction of international rugby.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't think our front row depth is bad
Hooker is prob the most stacked in the league the fact we have been playing the first 3 games with our 3rd choice hooker and little difference is crazy
Tighthead we have Cole and Heyes two internationals either end of their career, Hurd is promising.

Looshead is a question but same time Van Wyk, Leatigaga, Whitcombe, Richardson are decent.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:41 am The impact of the bench was incredible yesterday
We were 21-17 down before the introduction of Wells, Cracknell, Heyes, Youngs, Cockasinga, Van Wyck, Taufete'e and Ashton
The bench turned and won us the game
Their contribution was sublime
These guys allowed Freddie S the opportunity to do what he does best !
I thought Borthwick’s and the coaching teams Game Managememt was outstanding
A great day out
I'm not sure I'd say the bench won us the game. The 60 odd minutes of hard graft by the pack, in particular the front row laid the solid foundation on which the bench could build an incredible comeback. Saints were already on a scrum warning and team warning before the tide turned. I think a lot of credit has to go to the starting XV for getting Tigers in to a position where the tactics of SB and co could be unleashed on tiring Saints legs.. very good game plan and well executed. Bench definitely were sublime and played their part with some excellent contributions though I'd agree. I'd say the entire 23 won us that match along with SB, Aled, Kev and co..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:01 pm
KiwiTig wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:41 am The impact of the bench was incredible yesterday
We were 21-17 down before the introduction of Wells, Cracknell, Heyes, Youngs, Cockasinga, Van Wyck, Taufete'e and Ashton
A great day out
I'm not sure I'd say the bench won us the game. The 60 odd minutes of hard graft by the pack, in particular the front row laid the solid foundation on which the bench could build an incredible comeback. Saints were already on a scrum warning and team warning before the tide turned. I think a lot of credit has to go to the starting XV for getting Tigers in to a position where the tactics of SB and co could be unleashed on tiring Saints legs.. very good game plan and well executed. Bench definitely were sublime and played their part with some excellent contributions though I'd agree. I'd say the entire 23 won us that match along with SB, Aled, Kev and co..
Exactly. It's a team effort and I'm sure Borthwick said the same in his post match interview. I watched it back this morning and on 21 minutes there's a ruck only resourced by Martin and no Saints player goes into contest. There five or six forwards with their hands on their knees breathing heavy whilst Tigers line up a kick to clear with a chase. Saints punched themselves out early doors and then spent a sustained period at the end of the first half under pressure. Second half Saints had recovered to start fast but the fatigue quickly returned and their bench could not provide enough impetus to enable them to play at the speed they needed to. We introduced physicality and experience at a time Saints were stumbling towards the ropes.

It was a good game plan and executed well. Some things to work on but thumping the nearest and dearest by twenty points and ensuring they got nothing from a game at their home is damn good going.

Sarries will be tougher next week, I'm sure Borthwick is already drawing up the plan so the lads can go through it next week.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If anyone is interested the full match is here

https://video.premiershiprugby.com/cont ... rs-round-3
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:40 pm
A great day out
Sarries will be tougher next week, I'm sure Borthwick is already drawing up the plan so the lads can go through it next week.
It's a ridiculous fixture list to start the season if we are being honest.. in the first 4 games we play Exeter, Saints and Sarries all away!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:27 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:40 pm

It's a ridiculous fixture list to start the season if we are being honest.. in the first 4 games we play Exeter, Saints and Sarries all away!
Agreed compare that to say Bristols first 4 fixtures. Advantage is that they are out of the way and if we can get something out of the Sarries game it’s a decent start.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Totally agree Oakham Tiger…a full 23 effort …I just felt that the bench wasn’t getting the recognition they deserved