Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

As noted by Tyker no thread yet.
Big game local derby and never an easy one to call. Side obviously dependent on availability and difficult to guess SBs thoughts, but I’m going with

Cronin
Claire
Cole
Chessum
Martin
Liebenberg
Reffell
Cracknell
JVP
Burns
Nadolo
Porter
Scott
Potter
Steward

Taufetee Whitcombe Heyes Wells, Snyman Youngs, Gopperth, Cocanasinga
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Northampton (A) - 24th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by sam16111986 »

I think Cracknell will be on the bench with Wells starting personally. Looks a bit unbalanced with two locks on the bench and the go to blindside in the first two games at lock.

Unsure if Snyman is fit. He limped off in the first game and played in neither last week's nor the PRC.

Scott might be lucky to retain his place. We might well go Burns/Gopperth/Porter and then keep the Cokanasiga and Kini option on the bench. It's a competitive area of the team and Scott has been quiet so far this season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Steward
Potter
Scott
Porter
Nadolo
Gopperth
JvP
Cronin
Clare
Cole
Wells
Chessum
Martin
Reffell
Liebenberg

Taufete'e
Whitcombe
Heyes
Green
Cracknell
Youngs
Burns
Ashton

I think with time off we have seen Burns be a bit rusty before, so I'd stick with Gopperth at 10 this weekend. I think Borthwick may go Chessum Green as his 2nd row's as normally neither Chessum or Wells calls the lineout but I'd go Wells and Chessum.

Think 17 needs to be Whitcombe/Leatigaga/Richardson (who has really come on as a player watching the PRC the other night)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Not sure why but I have a sneaky feeling Watson will be in the 23 shirt… :smt017

I’d imagine a similar team to TFS, just with Ashton potentially swapped for Watson. Just a hunch, of which could be wrong!
voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Just one comment. Chris Ashton played really well last Saturday and always has the potential to score from anywhere. I think any 23 that lacks him is missing a vital component. Watson's time will come. However IBWT.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:37 pm Not sure why but I have a sneaky feeling Watson will be in the 23 shirt… :smt017

I’d imagine a similar team to TFS, just with Ashton potentially swapped for Watson. Just a hunch, of which could be wrong!
The complete lack of training photos/videos on social media may tell a story.
I should have put more meat on my op. IMO we are a better side with Liebenberg at 6 which is why I went for Cracknell at 8, and wanting Martin to play so he goes to lock. With Jansen and Ilione having played Tuesday we are a bit light in the back row hence 2 second rows on the bench.

As a slight aside MVS got on for the Bulls in their latest game and secured the turnover that led to the game ending with a Bulls win.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:21 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:37 pm Not sure why but I have a sneaky feeling Watson will be in the 23 shirt… :smt017

I should have put more meat on my op. IMO we are a better side with Liebenberg at 6 which is why I went for Cracknell at 8, and wanting Martin to play so he goes to lock. With Jansen and Ilione having played Tuesday we are a bit light in the back row hence 2 second rows on the bench.

As a slight aside MVS got on for the Bulls in their latest game and secured the turnover that led to the game ending with a Bulls win.
We may be even lighter at back row given Jansen and Illione both looked to be injured in bits of the match.

That's why I'd try and make sure at least one of our fit back rows isn't starting, by having Chessum, Martin both in the row it means we're starting 5 of our possibly 6 fully fit back row options (Wells being the other who is a hybrid himself)

I'd at least make sure one is on the bench. I wouldn't even be surprised by the 2nd row being Wells Green and then Henderson on the bench, that means one back rower could be rested completely.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:52 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:21 am

We may be even lighter at back row given Jansen and Illione both looked to be injured in bits of the match.

That's why I'd try and make sure at least one of our fit back rows isn't starting, by having Chessum, Martin both in the row it means we're starting 5 of our possibly 6 fully fit back row options (Wells being the other who is a hybrid himself)

I'd at least make sure one is on the bench. I wouldn't even be surprised by the 2nd row being Wells Green and then Henderson on the bench, that means one back rower could be rested completely.
The season is a marathon not a sprint. I said the same thing last season, win your home games with as many tbp as possible and pick up what you can away. As with Exeter a bonus point or 2 lose isn’t a bad result at Saints even we will be looking for the win. I think the top 4 may well be a lot closer this season.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 am Just one comment. Chris Ashton played really well last Saturday and always has the potential to score from anywhere. I think any 23 that lacks him is missing a vital component. Watson's time will come. However IBWT.
Agreed, Ashton played well and I don’t think he has had a bad game since signing. He looked to have taken a slight knock in the first half, and whilst he played the full 80, I wouldn’t risk if there’s a niggle there.

I’m not totally sure why I have a hunch Watson will be in the 23. It could well be false and my psychy is having an off week! :smt005
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 am Just one comment. Chris Ashton played really well last Saturday and always has the potential to score from anywhere. I think any 23 that lacks him is missing a vital component. Watson's time will come. However IBWT.
He had a somewhat iffy game Vs Chiefs though. He's not a fullback so with Steward back in it's likely he'll drop out the 23. Watson is also a more than considerable talent and if fully fit will always get selected over a 35 year old Ashton. Potter would be the one under threat for his spot as he hasn't pulled up trees so far but in this type of game where kick chase and work rate are likely to be key he's a good option to have.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Especially against Saints
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Team:

Steward
Potter
Porter
Gopperth
Nadolo
Burns
JVP
Cronin
Clare
Cole
Chessum
Green
Martin
Reffell
Liebenberg

Taufetee, Van Wyk, Heyes, Wells, Cracknell, Youngs , Cocanasinga, Ashton
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Do for me.

COYT!!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Ludlam, Lawes, Biggar and Freeman make Saints return for 250th Derby

Director of Rugby Phil Dowson has made seven changes to his Northampton Saints side to take on Leicester Tigers on Saturday, with four internationals in Lewis Ludlam, Courtney Lawes, Dan Biggar and Tommy Freeman all returning to the starting line-up.

The men in Black, Green and Gold take on their local rivals in the first East Midlands Derby of the 2022/23 season – and the 250th ever played in a milestone clash at cinch Stadium at Franklin’s Gardens.

Saints lost all three meetings between the sides last term, including an evenly-contested Gallagher Premiership semi-final, but will be hoping to replicate the sort of form which has seen Northampton win their last five league matches on home soil (the Club’s longest winning run at the Gardens since 2015).

Club captain Lewis Ludlam returns for the first time this season for Saints in the back row and is joined by England captain Courtney Lawes, with the pair having completed their rest period following the summer’s international tour to Australia.

No.8 Juarno Augustus – who has driven through more metres in contact than any other Premiership player in the league’s opening two rounds – completes the back row, while Alex Coles moves up into the engine room to partner Australian lock Lukhan Salakaia-Loto.

There are changes to Northampton’s front row too; Sam Matavesi continues at hooker but props Emmanuel Iyogun and Alfie Petch both earn their first starts of the season to pack down either side of the Fiji international.

Wales skipper Biggar (who was due to return in last weekend’s victory over London Irish before illness ruled him out of the clash) pulls on the No.10 jersey for the hosts, with the Premiership’s player-of-the-round Alex Mitchell continuing at scrum-half.

Fraser Dingwall returns from injury to take his place in the starting line-up, prompting a reshuffle in Saints’ backline as Matt Proctor moves to the wing and Rory Hutchinson continues at inside centre.

England internationals George Furbank and Tommy Freeman round off the back three for Northampton for the crucial clash, with the likes of Tom James, Paul Hill, Angus Scott-Young and Tom Collins all primed to make an impact off the bench.

A small number of tickets remain for the East Midlands Derby, with prices starting from £28 adult / £10 child*. Please CLICK HERE to purchase now.

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS vs LEICESTER TIGERS
Gallagher Premiership Rugby, Round 3
Saturday 24 September 2022
cinch Stadium at Franklin’s Gardens
Kick-off: 3pm

15 George Furbank
14 Tommy Freeman
13 Fraser Dingwall
12 Rory Hutchinson
11 Matt Proctor
10 Dan Biggar
9 Alex Mitchell

1 Emmanuel Iyogun
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Alfie Petch
4 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5 Alex Coles
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam (c)
8 Juarno Augustus

Replacements:
16 Mike Haywood
17 Ethan Waller
18 Paul Hill
19 Alex Moon
20 Angus Scott-Young
21 Tom James
22 James Grayson
23 Tom Collins

Not considered for selection:
Matthew Arden, Callum Burns, James Fish, Joseph Gaffan, Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, Alex Waller and Karl Wilkins.

Referee: Karl Dickson
Assistant referees: Dan Jones and Jamie Leahy
No.4: Dean Richards
TMO: Stuart Terheege
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am
Agreed, Ashton played well and I don’t think he has had a bad game since signing. He looked to have taken a slight knock in the first half, and whilst he played the full 80, I wouldn’t risk if there’s a niggle there.

I’m not totally sure why I have a hunch Watson will be in the 23. It could well be false and my psychy is having an off week! :smt005
Looks like your hunch about your hunch being incorrect was spot on! :smt044