PRC Rd 1 v Sale (A) -Tuesday 20th September 2022 - 7-45pm ko

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: PRC Rd 1 v Sale (A) -Tuesday 20th September 2022 - 7-45pm ko

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:04 pm Full match now available to watch.

https://video.premiershiprugby.com/cont ... up-round-1
Just watched it.

Wow that was a proper game of "rugby", as rugby was intended to be played. So much running, passing, making breaks, great stuff in the forwards, my oh my what a fantastic player young Chessum is going to be, cant wait to see him pack down with his brother in our 2nd row.

I wish our first team could play like that, there was minimal, but necessary, kicking in this game, quite a few mistakes but I thought the game was superbly referred by Hamish. (why don't we see more or him?) I don't think there was a TMO but his decisions were crisp and always decisive, no long waits watching repeats on the big screen.

Sad that we lost, some good players coming through although I thought Shelley was a bit suspect under the high ball and Surmaki makes me wonder if he will make it? Walsh looks a useful future No 10.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I don't think there was a TMO otherwise the third Sale try would never have stood. Two Tigers players got taken out past the ruck which opened up the space for the break and try. Can't say I blame the ref though as it all happened so quickly he'd have needed the TMO or a vigilant assistant to help him out.

Shelley looked pretty composed I thought. He's no Freddie Steward but let's face it few are. The spills were when he had to race forward onto the ball rather than when they came down onto him which is interesting, could be a timing issue rather than a technique issue. I was disappointed by his kick chase game as he's very quick but didn't seem to have the tenacity of Porter and Potter who love to chase kicks down like rabid terriers. He didn't really get chance to open up the taps and show off his footwork.

I thought the pack did a really good job up against a more experienced outfit. I liked how the backs looked to play and how we kicked every penalty to the corner. That tactic may have cost us in the end but I admire the ambition. A lot of the play wasn't perfect but they kept plugging away rather than go into their shells.

Young Chessum looks noticeably more athletic than he looked playing for the under 20s last season. Makes him a far more difficult proposition for the opposition. He's still filling out as well so is going to be a real monster in a year or two.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

One other thing that struck me, Tom Manz is listed as 6ft8 on the Tigers website and Chessum Jnr is clearly taller. Rob Carmichael off the bench is a similar height maybe a smidge taller, at this rate we won't need lifters.