Leicester Tigers' social media is poor

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Leicester Tigers' social media is poor

Post by Darc Tiger »

I have no idea who handles the social media, so I'm a bit hesitant being so critical of potentially some underpaid intern, but the matchday updates in particular have frankly become very poor, and they weren't very good last season. I primarily use twitter, but a glace at Instagram and Facebook show they are no better.

Match updates are infrequent, and do little to paint a picture for those who can't watch. Terms are misused a bit too often. Tries are always communicated by a generic gif and a player's first or last name/nickname in capslock with several exclamation marks. Sometimes it isn't even clear who scored. Today for some reason the score was relayed as if Newcastle was the home team, there were no timestamps given, substitutions were given late, and a crucial 3 points in the 2nd half went unreported.

Even outside of matchday, I find it generally pretty uninspiring, and mostly just posting news, birthdays and a few pictures here and there. I get Borthwick's reasons for limiting access the squad, particularly regarding injuries, but I feel like we should be doing more to connect the fans to the players. The Cam Henderson mini-doc was a rare exception, and the fact it was so rare probably accounts for it not doing numbers either.

It all feels like it has no personality and is not in any way engaging, which frankly is a failure for a social media account with a significant following, and a fanbase as large as ours. When I look at what some clubs are doing in this regard, we're miles behind.

Now the club has been getting plenty right since the new regime took over. With budgets tight I understand priorities are probably elsewhere, but we should be doing better, and be using social media to drive engagement and interest. Particularly if we want to draw in new/casual audiences.

Instead of addressing any of the above, we decided to get into bed with dodgy cryptocurrency garbage, with the appeal supposedly to boost fan engagement. Engagement that is primarily behind a paywall... Any fans of the footy clubs that bought into that will tell you its hollow nonsense. Though the club do appear to have gone quiet on this after the critical response, and either way I doubt it would take off like the Socios marketing department probably sold to them. If that was to be their substitute for having an effective presence online, then they need a plan B.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Leicester Tigers' social media is poor

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Between this social media ,the Fans Forum and that old fashioned idea found at 104.9MHz I seek no more communication.
Each to their own.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Is it me, or has Bondi disappeared?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:31 pm Is it me, or has Bondi disappeared?
He was definitely at Exeter last weekend
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:39 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:31 pm Is it me, or has Bondi disappeared?
He was definitely at Exeter last weekend
Just don't seem to see any content from him. We did really well on the socials and club engagement during lockdown and last season with interviews with Steve and the rest of the coaches, but as the OP said, gone downhill hugely since.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bondi was at the game today
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I 100% agree Darc Tiger, fan engagement via the social platforms in these days is huge. For all their troubles it’s one of the thing Worcs do really well!
Seems lazy to me, hopefully will improve? :smt017
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:37 pm
Bondi was at the game today
And it was his birthday too!
Alas Gary and Bondi only have one pair of hands and there is so much to organise on match days, so I suppose they must concentrate on selected forms of communications. But I hope they change the microphone on the after match LTTV interviews as one is certainly turned down or faulty. :smt034
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Some of the more recent LTTV clips after the games look quite rushed as well, from this weekend Ben Youngs only has audio on one side, and the Guy Porter one has loads of really clunky cuts in it which made it awkward to follow. Real shame if they have had to cut back on the comms side as there is so much room for it to grow compared to what other teams are doing.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Seems like Sherrard has surpassed Bondi. I prefer Bondi.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I get the impression Bondi has had his wings clipped.
Last week we got a short interview with Aled as a preview....back to nothing this week, it's pretty poor.
We know Borthwick isn't that keen, (yet in longer interviews he becomes far more "fluid") but the present level is embarrassing.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I didn't think he'd had his wings clipped I thought instead he actually had slightly expanded role with more responsibility and duties so has had to delegate more.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.