Worrying attendances

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Worrying attendances

Post by Nofrontteeth »

RFU's infanticide of their future generations?
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

With Mansfield Town moving kick off times to reduce floodlight use, and only Exeter reporting a profit in the rugby premiership, can anyone explain why the floodlights were on at the Falcons game at the weekend?
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

So all matches 11:00am?
What affect would that have on attendance?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Grannyman wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:10 pm With Mansfield Town moving kick off times to reduce floodlight use, and only Exeter reporting a profit in the rugby premiership, can anyone explain why the floodlights were on at the Falcons game at the weekend?
Can’t remember the weather last Saturday, worrying I know, but is there a playing condition that if the lights are likely to be needed they have to be on for the full match.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 pm
Grannyman wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:10 pm With Mansfield Town moving kick off times to reduce floodlight use, and only Exeter reporting a profit in the rugby premiership, can anyone explain why the floodlights were on at the Falcons game at the weekend?
Can’t remember the weather last Saturday, worrying I know, but is there a playing condition that if the lights are likely to be needed they have to be on for the full match.
It was glorious sunshine.

I’d have thought a sensor based dimmer on match days would have been a better option.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

I believe TV dictate.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

As far as I can tell, there is at least the beginnings of a national debate. The rugby journos have picked it up and, if they keep at it, we may begin to see some movement. Stuart Barnes in the Times is the latest.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if clubs can't fill their stadia drop the prices, better to fill it at a lower price point and make money off of concessions that have thousands of empty seats
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:46 pm if clubs can't fill their stadia drop the prices, better to fill it at a lower price point and make money off of concessions that have thousands of empty seats
Issue with that is how many more fans do you need to get it to make up for the ticket reduction. Also with concessions they are voluntary many people choose not to buy them and the club only gets a cut.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Full seats means food and drink (ideally).

Drop the price and reap the rewards.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Grannyman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:28 am Full seats means food and drink (ideally).

I wish that it was that simple. Food and drink is optional and expensive, fans will often meet and eat or drink outside the ground first, see the queues outside the chippy. Also unsure how much the club gets of that revenue..

Dropping ticket prices is a gamble.
If a club has an average attendance of 10,000 with an average ticket price of £30 that is £300000 per match.
To make it attractive you would have to drop your ticket prices by 20% so £24 a match. That is a shortfall of £60000 per game, so you would either have to find 2500 more spectators from somewhere or make up that shortfall in other ways.
Over a 22 match home season that is £720000 that has to be found to stand still
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:10 am
Grannyman wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:28 am Full seats means food and drink (ideally).

I wish that it was that simple. Food and drink is optional and expensive, fans will often meet and eat or drink outside the ground first, see the queues outside the chippy. Also unsure how much the club gets of that revenue..

If a club has an average attendance of 10,000 with an average ticket price of £30 that is £300000 per match.
To make it attractive you would have to drop your ticket prices by 20% so £24 a match. That is a shortfall of £60000 per game, so you would either have to find 2500 more spectators from somewhere or make up that shortfall in other ways.
I think the issue is that few clubs max out their capacity so they should drop ticket prices to fill out the other 2/3 of their capacity.
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:19 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:10 am

I think the issue is that few clubs max out their capacity so they should drop ticket prices to fill out the other 2/3 of their capacity.
There is no guarantee dropping the prices will fill out the capacity (hello Wasps) and even if it did, the amount you have to drop the ticket prices by might more than offset the supposed revenue increase. If it was as simple as proposed everyone would be doing it.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Looking at the attendances yesterday they didn’t seem too bad with the exception of Worcester who were capped at 5000
A2O
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Or is it because a lot of internationals returned?

What is the future for season tickets that give preference for what? - stars missing and priority to international matches you can't afford.