Worrying attendances

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Worrying attendances

Post by Ian Cant »

With no other sport to worry about this weekend due to the sad passing of The Queen the attendances at the games this weekend show the problems rugby union has!
Exeter yesterday was far from a sell out( but their prices are so expensive), Gloucester today again with lots of empty spaces.
Yes, some fans probably didn’t want to attend due to The Queen but other sports’ fans I know said they d liked to have gone to a home game to show collective respect withholding the minute’s silence and singing the National Anthem.
Bristol had a very good attendance but the other two, Irish and Newcastle were both under 7000!
How on earth can the game survive on these!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Worrying attendances

Post by chewbacca »

Without much broader grass roots support I don't think it can. Destined to become an amateur sport.
I'm not cynical just experienced
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

We're in a cost of living crisis. Aside from those who have already purchased season tickets, people will have to think really hard a out if they have the spare cash for a day out at the rugby or pay their food/energy bill/put fuel in the car.

Rugby will have to look at itself and see how they can attract more people into the stands. If it's lowering ticket prices to get more people through the turnstile, then so be it.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

With the current financial climate then it's expected.
When the game went pro whilst hopefully the culture didn't change drastically the playing certainly has.

Gyms, weight gain and muscle rule a big part of the training week.

I must ask can a variation of the two develop. Like many on this Forum we were entertained by a Saffolder up front, a Bookbinder at centre, RAF on the wing and a couple of coppers in the backrow?

Yes, we got used to our captain being pulled by the Chief Constable and our winger flying elsewhere but is it any different to paying for your season ticket today to find half the team rested for the RFU? Picking and choosing games will become more frequent.

The main issue I see for us is paying top coaches and maintaining the expanded ground since those days. It's not just players that went pro.

Bring back the Hiss and Boo band for half time? (LOL)
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

My main issue with Professionalism is what we see on the pitch as a outcome is arguably no better than when the game was "amateur", what is produced on a "Saturday" doesn't reflect terribly well on what goes on during the week, yes the players are immeasurably fitter, but that unfortunately is part of the problem.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I’ve watched Tigers in both the amateur and professional eras and have enjoyed both. Yes they are different but must admit that the presence of 20k + crowds make the game somehow more gripping.
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cost of living crisis as people have rightly pointed out and both games were in TV. Summer holidays can also be an expensive time with holidays and then school uniforms to purchase. Not favourable for occasional fans or away days.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:21 pm We're in a cost of living crisis. Aside from those who have already purchased season tickets, people will have to think really hard a out if they have the spare cash for a day out at the rugby or pay their food/energy bill/put fuel in the car.

Rugby will have to look at itself and see how they can attract more people into the stands. If it's lowering ticket prices to get more people through the turnstile, then so be it.
This. This.

And when you've thought about it, this again.

I would normally have had an away day yesterday, but it's just unaffordable at the moment. Same with Saints away. It's a vicious circle too; fans can't afford the tickets; clubs can't afford to discount them.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Yes, the cost of living could be to blame but the football clubs don’t seem to be affected. One of my friends( a neighbour) is a Bolton lad living here in Leicestershire, yet travels up to see Bolton every other week and goes to away games: they are in League One but their attendances outmatch many Premiership Rugby Clubs! I’ve got many friends who support City or other football clubs: somehow they keep affording to go!

Tigers are encouraging fans with children to take them:
ONLY £12 FOR UNDER-12s SEASON TICKETS

Under 12's for only £12 with a full paying adult*
There’s also the “Try before you buy “ scheme too and as a fan who gets to quite a few away games I can honestly say both our season tickets and match day tickets are very good value.

This weekends matches have seen some exciting finishes which ought to promote the game!
I still think some of the problem is not having your best players available for up to 10-12 matches a season because of International call ups doesn’t help.
But the RFU won’t change( until it’s too late)!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

The Rugby Football Union were extremely disrespectful by allowing games to go ahead, following the death of Her Majesty the Queen. I certainly would not have attended any match yesterday.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Its possible, I think, that in the 'good old days' when the game turned professional that the support base was larger and. more broadly established with the sport being played in a number of state state and not just fee paying schools. As previously discussed that is a rare event in the modern age.
Those of us from that era who were at peak earning power at the time the game turned pro are now fewer on the ground.
The number of boys playing and developing an enthusiasm has and continues to dwindle. Without that firmly established base I suspect attendances will continue to decline. Maybe it will be the women's game that rekindles supporter enthusiasm. Lets hope something does.
I'm not cynical just experienced
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Rugby Union gets virtually no marketing outside of the six nations. Most people wouldn't have known there were games being played at all this weekend.
Football on the other hand is everywhere, constant saturation. Football is also a very simple game to understand whereas rugby union is quite complex with long periods where it can seem like nothing is happening. I got frustrated by some of the kicking battles on Saturday and generally I like the chess element of the game, bit like test match cricket! Non RU fans would just be bored sensless. Then the ref gets involved and even long time fans and those who have played the game don't understand why they make certain decisions.
Look at the womens game, England ladies have won major things over the years, but now the womens football team have won something everything is great in the world of womens sport, again saturation and great marketing.
Kids need to able to play the game, and it needs to be in the public eye, otherwise it won't grow. A few games on free to air channels during the season could be good, a proper highlights show rather than the rushed channel five thing with some ex or current players explaining things.
Anyway I'm just rambling now but did I say the game needs marketing better....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Lots of good points made, the game went professional because the demands being made on the time of players was so great that some in ordinary jobs were losing money to play. Inevitably paying players and staff meant an increase in ticket price. State education changed to massive comprehensive schools and academies where rugby became a module of just a few weeks with few or no matches against other schools. The majority of young people now go away to University so the link from school team to the Old Boys RFC is broken, fewer playing the game at grass roots so fewer progressing to spectating when the knees pack in.
A few clubs have shown that they can be viable on crowds of eight or 10, 000 some need a little help from a benefactor but wage and other costs have to be realistic as do ticket prices. In football the cost of travel to away matches is capped both in ticket price and coach fare with the away team selling tickets to their own fans. This unfortunately leads to some segregation of the supporters but could increase numbers at the game.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am going to be Mr Doom and Gloom for a minute as I think rugby is a dying sport and I am concerned about the future. Clubs that had fields full of pitches with teams on all of them now struggle to get 2 teams out, the sport is being played less in schools, authorities and organisers are getting more concerned about the risks, The professional game just cannot make that leap forward in terms of revenue and attendances. Prices go up, attendances go down. Those who do watch international rugby do not always pass on that support to the club game (what happened to the days when you had to be affiliated with a local club to get tickets, oh yes, the clubs started selling them to anyone who would pay enough, donate shirts etc). Players want to earn more when clubs can afford to pay less and squads shrink as a result despite needing bigger squads. Teams play without their star names for half of the season. No media outlets have any real interest in club rugby.

Sadly my big fear is that club rugby is heading for an apocalyptic colapse/.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

In agreement with Ads thoughts.
Yes, both Tigers and Glos produced last minute thrills but proceeded with kick tennis and "the Ref" taking centre stage; all on the telly with national access and judgement.

On the Wendy Ball monopoly and their self styled 'nations game' I personally reflect:-

As a youngster I was a regular at Filbert St and could relate to the lives of those playing in front of me. Then player contract controls allowed uncontrolled wages etc. I did my 40hrs/week to afford a treat
My attendance stopped on principle as much as finance.

Rugby finances, cap or not are getting totally out of step with the supporters own pressures. With Football spending £mega or Golfers winning millions for hitting a little ball down a hole the whole world of sport as a business is grossly inflationary.

Will that bubble burst?