Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (H) - 17th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:54 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:52 pm How was that ruck formed?
Falcons had no one in it...
Now that was a very strange decision :smt017
If there is only one (or maybe two) in the whole 80 minutes, then CMK has has a very good game.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Good win, 5 points to 0. Lots of positives from today
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Good bits, thoroughly average bits but ultimately a TBP win and some well worked tries. Officials did a decent job for my money today. I'd sooner slightly longer reviews and the right decision being reached than the referee simply guessing. If we had lost and Newcastle had been wrongly awarded a few tries people would be livid.

Looked a bit disjointed at times and too many silly penalties in the first half but the lads dug deep. Bit of a seesaw contest but a good result.

Some of the bench had a good impact. Reffell, JvP, Cracknell all looked very sharp and Kini really looked up for it when he came on. Not convinced by Van Wyk; not good enough at this level for me.

Onwards and upwards.. Fortress MWWR continues :smt027

And to think we are still missing Montoya, Burns, Dolly, Kelly, Pollard, Watson, Whitcombe, Wiese to name but a few. At least 6 of those would have made the matchday 23 today for me so lots still to come back. :smt023
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Well, despite the win with 5 tries and impressive number of metres gained, there is much to work on, and far too many penalties conceded. At times our defence looked a bit porous to me.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:33 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:31 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:30 pm That is a rubbish decision. The Tigers player didnt even touch the ball, so he can't have knocked it forward. Just crazy.
Hanro stripped the ball and it went forward.,.. .correct decision
Nope, Hanro pulled his arm away, nowhere near the ball, and the Newcastle guy lost it. No way.
Raffell pulled his arm away no knock on there, not Hanro. I've now watched this many times and I stand by what I said. Hanro gathered it cleanly and knocked it backwards. If the ball had gone forwards it could only have cole from the body of the Newcastle player. Wrong call.

That said, CMK had a very good game overall.
Last edited by Pellsey on Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So I reckon the results today leave us 3rd in the table albeit with Exeter, Glos and Sarries having a game in hand. Long long way to go but we are level on points with Quins and Saints so a good place to be after the disappointment last week :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

There are quite a few new players in the squad including our 10 today, so we have not been too bad with lots of positive phases. I think our defence was better last week, but our attack far better today. Potter and Nadalo made a hug difference as did JVP when he game on. Youngs also mostly had a good game apart from the stumble which led to their try.

It would definitely help to have a few more of our internationals back for next week. I watched the first half of the Saints game today, and they looked quite dangerou, especially Mitchell.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:07 pm Good bits, thoroughly average bits but ultimately a TBP win and some well worked tries. Officials did a decent job for my money today. I'd sooner slightly longer reviews and the right decision being reached than the referee simply guessing. If we had lost and Newcastle had been wrongly awarded a few tries people would be livid.

Looked a bit disjointed at times and too many silly penalties in the first half but the lads dug deep. Bit of a seesaw contest but a good result.

Some of the bench had a good impact. Reffell, JvP, Cracknell all looked very sharp and Kini really looked up for it when he came on. Not convinced by Van Wyk; not good enough at this level for me.

And to think we are still missing Montoya, Burns, Dolly, Kelly, Pollard, Watson, Whitcombe, Wiese to name but a few. At least 6 of those would have made the matchday 23 today for me so lots still to come back. :smt023
Great sum up as usual OakhamTiger32. Completely agree.

It did make me laugh though when you said that Tempest was a good ref. For me, he is distinctly average, even by Premiership standards.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:27 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:07 pm Good bits, thoroughly average bits but ultimately a TBP win and some well worked tries. Officials did a decent job for my money today. I'd sooner slightly longer reviews and the right decision being reached than the referee simply guessing. If we had lost and Newcastle had been wrongly awarded a few tries people would be livid.

Great sum up as usual OakhamTiger32. Completely agree.

It did make me laugh though when you said that Tempest was a good ref. For me, he is distinctly average, even by Premiership standards.
Thank you for your kind words.. I am trying to be more positive about the officiating this season and CMK has had some average outings previously so I was a little nervous about today but he proved me wrong and I think had a good game.. but perhaps that might have been pushing it a little far about Tempo.. must have been a slip of the keyboard :smt002
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Glass of Remy....job done!
Well played lads.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Good win, some terrible defending from us at times though.

Lots of forward passes from falcons missed. Even my mate who I brought along for his first ever game was fed up with forward passes going unnoticed.

We were great at creating something special out of their mistakes, very fun to watch, especially with so many names missing.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Just got back. Don’t drink Remy so it’s a large gin and tonic.

Thoroughly enjoyable match. Had a tear in my eye after the national anthem - such volume. Brilliant rendition.

As for the game - bit worried at times but the good news IMHO is that we won against a decent opposition and yet there is a lot of room for improvement.

Sooooo looking forward to the rest of the season
COYT
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Grannyman wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:44 pm Good win, some terrible defending from us at times though.

Lots of forward passes from falcons missed. Even my mate who I brought along for his first ever game was fed up with forward passes going unnoticed.

We were great at creating something special out of their mistakes, very fun to watch, especially with so many names missing.
I should clarify, on the whole the defence was excellent, but a few silly mistakes resulted in giving away points.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I was surprised to see so many seats empty today! Mind you those of us there made a hell of a lot of noise. A good win but there will need to be a huge step up in the next two weeks. I’m off to Saints and then Sarries and feel it’s a good job we are away as both these teams will be incredibly hard to beat: no disrespect to Newcastle but they caused us lots of problems and they had, like us, a few players missing. Nadalo was great today but I do worry about his defence against teams like Saints, Sarries, Quins and Gloucester. Our kicking games was indifferent today but I thought Ashton, Wells, Martin, Youngs and Gopperth were excellent as was Nadalo in attack. I was sat facing the Tigers as they attacked my end in the second half and honestly didn’t see Hanro or any Tiger knock the ball on: shame as Nadalo deserved a hat trick.
Discipline too needs to be sorted and like others, I can’t fault the effort of Van Wyk but Whitcombe and Lady Gaga are far better players.
The next 3 away games will be especially tough but so will most games away from home.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree (mostly) with Ian. One to praise was Guy Porter and his limping off at the end looked serious. Lineout was dodgy at times and there were far too many turnovers and knock-ons. Falcons never stopped coming and our defence looked leaky although we generally neutralised Radwan. Our attack was much more purposeful than last week. So, all in all, a curate's egg: "Parts of it, my Lord, are excellent." for those who want the original quote from the 19thC Punch cartoon of a curate having a breakfast egg with his Bishop.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina