Tigers v Newcastle (H) - 17th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (H) - 17th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by ay2oh »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:21 pm I agree (mostly) with Ian. One to praise was Guy Porter and his limping off at the end looked serious. Lineout was dodgy at times and there were far too many turnovers and knock-ons. Falcons never stopped coming and our defence looked leaky although we generally neutralised Radwan. Our attack was much more purposeful than last week. So, all in all, a curate's egg: "Parts of it, my Lord, are excellent." for those who want the original quote from the 19thC Punch cartoon of a curate having a breakfast egg with his Bishop.
Porter just looked like he had cramp to me and he was walking ok after the game
A2O
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Despite my previous slightly lukewarm reaction to the game, I thought Porter in particular showed some class, and potentially he might have come out the other side of the internationals down under with a boost in confidence? If so, great to see.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:49 pm A little lucky maybe... if that touched the line, then it was one blade of white grass!
If it didn’t then it should have been a penalty try as he was tackled by the neck!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:21 pm I agree (mostly) with Ian. One to praise was Guy Porter and his limping off at the end looked serious. Lineout was dodgy at times and there were far too many turnovers and knock-ons. Falcons never stopped coming and our defence looked leaky although we generally neutralised Radwan. Our attack was much more purposeful than last week. So, all in all, a curate's egg: "Parts of it, my Lord, are excellent." for those who want the original quote from the 19thC Punch cartoon of a curate having a breakfast egg with his Bishop.
OldHob - I think you are correct, both in your game assessment and attribution of the Curate's Egg, of which this was a good example. I have overused this in reference to Tigers over the last few seasons, though probably not on this forum!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:34 am
Pellsey wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:49 pm A little lucky maybe... if that touched the line, then it was one blade of white grass!
If it didn’t then it should have been a penalty try as he was tackled by the neck!
Personally I thought it comfortably touched the line. Thing is they didn't look at the point where it did.

Ref said check if there was seperation, it was shown there was not.

In real time it looked like it may have touched the line, then it was rolled back (what the TMO was shown). Thing is immediately after that he makes a placement forwards (which I think he's entitled to do) which puts it on the line.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Van Wyke looks to be a concern - scrummaging not at premiership level.

Behind Cronin and Whitcombe there is a huge drop off. Presumably Whitcombe is injured?
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

Really impressed with Martin and Chessums physicality yesterday in particular some massive hits in Jamie blamire also Cronin made some good carry’s and tackles
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:01 am Van Wyke looks to be a concern - scrummaging not at premiership level.

Behind Cronin and Whitcombe there is a huge drop off. Presumably Whitcombe is injured?
I think Leatigaga is a good option at LH, especially from the bench as he offers a great carrying threat against a tiring side. His scrummaging is good enough certainly to be in the mix of a matchday 23
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:01 am Van Wyke looks to be a concern - scrummaging not at premiership level.

Van Wyk did make 14 tackles off the bench Vs Chiefs. Work rate is there he's just a more squad level player as opposed to second choice. Hopefully we see Whitcombe gets some game time in the PRC and can push back into the side from there.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Thought I saw Whitcombe warming up before the game but not Leatigaga
A2O
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Some nice tries in the match, Ashtons in particular, fine catch and drive by Harry Wells, pass out of the side door toNemani who obliged with another fine pass to Splash to finish off. Carerras' was a nice individual one for the Falcons, if a tad fortunate we left the ball behind for him to pick up.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Gopperth is certainly a handy player to cover at fly half and centre, his kicking game was good today and marshalled the midfield well and is solid off the tee. Cronin impressed again, we missed Reffell at 7 and need to tighten up in defence. Nadolo was a monster today and was gutted his 3rd try was cancelled out, the flick from Ashton and the power to get over was quality!!

We certainly need Kelly and Steward back to add some consistency and quality.

Chessum and Martin really look like they could be world class operators, so powerful and dynamic for such big blokes!!

Good 5 points win in the end!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... f-the-week

Ashton's try is in the running for try of the week.