Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Rolling Maul Podcast - Special Guests - Latest: Austin Healey

Post by iceman_19 »

Evening all

The latest podcast sees poor Joe Woodward lumbered with the obligation of putting up with me asking him questions. Thankfully, he is great value - brilliant maturity for a young man, but he's not afraid to throw his teammate under the bus when revealing his worst housemate. That's a house of 8 development players, by the way. Yikes.

Hope you enjoy, there's the usual chapter markers on Apple to skip to the interview if you prefer:

https://tinyurl.com/4zj598dy
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Rolling Maul Podcast - Special Guests - Latest: Joe Woodward

Post by iceman_19 »

Evening gang

If I do say so myself, this is a cracker of an episode (by our questionable standards).

Not only do we get to preview the Bristol game with the excellent Bears Beyond the Gate podcast (the Bristol pod) to get their take on Tigers and how Bristol are set up this season, but we also have a natter with Tom Varndell - he talks about his time at Tigers and his take on the current crop. Highlights include getting punched by Leon Lloyd in a game of touch and revealing he has a son in the academy...they say you're born with speed, and that's not a bad dad to have!

Hope you all enjoy - cheers.

https://tinyurl.com/w6yasm7p
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Rolling Maul Podcast - Special Guests - Latest: George Chuter

Post by iceman_19 »

Hello all

Bit of a double update since I forgot to post last week.

First up, we got to speak to Archie Vanes ahead of his Tigers debut. He talked to us about what it's like to learn from the Emperor, the importance of patience at his age and, as is tradition, the worst housemate in what sounds like a hectic Tigers boarding house! https://tinyurl.com/6ahs97as

Then, this week, we've spoken to George Chuter about his memories of East Midlands derbies, as he helps us review the win over Saints. As always, he is brilliant value, and we are also joined by commentator Sam Roberts, who has run a podcast series with Ed Slater, to look ahead to the Slater Cup fixture at Kingsholm. https://tinyurl.com/57azrsbp
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Hi all

Apologies for lack of updates on here, I’ve regularly failed to stick up some of the guests we’ve had on recently, including Nick Mullins, Charlie Clare and Tom Whiteley.

Anyway, as some of you may know, we spoke to Andrea Pinchen this week and the episode is out now. She was very open on a lot of topics - including recruitment, season tickets and the 10 team league - but obviously a bit more coy on a couple of the other hot topics.

We’re not Paxman, so we didn’t push it, but all questions were asked and there was nothing off limits - and big thanks to the club for letting us talk to her.

Have a listen if you have some time to waste:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0648132583
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: The Rolling Maul Podcast - Special Guests - Latest: Andrea Pinchen

Post by ay2oh »

Will listen to it tomorrow
A2O
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

iceman_19 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:49 pm Hi all

Apologies for lack of updates on here, I’ve regularly failed to stick up some of the guests we’ve had on recently, including Nick Mullins, Charlie Clare and Tom Whiteley.

Anyway, as some of you may know, we spoke to Andrea Pinchen this week and the episode is out now. She was very open on a lot of topics - including recruitment, season tickets and the 10 team league - but obviously a bit more coy on a couple of the other hot topics.

We’re not Paxman, so we didn’t push it, but all questions were asked and there was nothing off limits - and big thanks to the club for letting us talk to her.

Have a listen if you have some time to waste:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0648132583
Fantastic interview.
CogGom
Tiger Cub

Post by CogGom »

Agreed, excellent 30min interview - an honest realistic appraisal of situation
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Just listened to the AP interview and she was very honest and open as usual.
A2O
Ellie
Tiger Cub

Post by Ellie »

I’ve just listened to the podcast and apart from Andrea’s comment or should I say lack of comment on the Ten Team League and confirming that senior men’s team recruitment was virtually complete I found her responses rather bland and disappointing. She talked a lot about process but gave no specific examples. The one thing I did takeaway was that they’ve focused heavily on the corporate side to maximise revenues there and have rather forgotten about us supporters so are now trying to make amends, what that will be was again rather bland, I guess we will have to wait and see just like we are still waiting for details on the women’s game.
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

Ellie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:25 am I’ve just listened to the podcast and apart from Andrea’s comment or should I say lack of comment on the Ten Team League and confirming that senior men’s team recruitment was virtually complete I found her responses rather bland and disappointing. She talked a lot about process but gave no specific examples. The one thing I did takeaway was that they’ve focused heavily on the corporate side to maximise revenues there and have rather forgotten about us supporters so are now trying to make amends, what that will be was again rather bland, I guess we will have to wait and see just like we are still waiting for details on the women’s game.
Agreed. Very politician like responses. Seemed to suggest Matt Smith is permanent replacement for Dickens?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Not sure what people expect from such an interview.

Season ticket wise: stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they put them up after Covid there would be an uproar. So they've held off and now other things have made it even more challenging - so they've bitten the bullet. Will be challenging initially but a new bar has been set. Hard to know what the optimal price is to maximise revenue.

State of the game/state of the Prem, Salary Cap, TV deals etc: Only so much is under her/our control. I trust her to fight our corner but only so much she can do.

Dan, coaches, squad, recruitment: It's the head coaches first season, the Dickens situ has clearly been difficult. As we all know it's not her fault England trashed our coaching team. Everybody has a view on recruitment. We are thereabouts in all competitions. What's she going to say.

Match day experience, bars & catering, club shop: not something I experience much of these days. But again, I am sure she is trying her best and is certainly going to try to be positive about it all.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ourla wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:46 pm Not sure what people expect from such an interview.

Season ticket wise: stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they put them up after Covid there would be an uproar. So they've held off and now other things have made it even more challenging - so they've bitten the bullet. Will be challenging initially but a new bar has been set. Hard to know what the optimal price is to maximise revenue.

State of the game/state of the Prem, Salary Cap, TV deals etc: Only so much is under her/our control. I trust her to fight our corner but only so much she can do.

Dan, coaches, squad, recruitment: It's the head coaches first season, the Dickens situ has clearly been difficult. As we all know it's not her fault England trashed our coaching team. Everybody has a view on recruitment. We are thereabouts in all competitions. What's she going to say.

Match day experience, bars & catering, club shop: not something I experience much of these days. But again, I am sure she is trying her best and is certainly going to try to be positive about it all.
I’m unsure what earth shattering disclosures people were expecting too. The Barrett brothers buying a farm in the Strettons perhaps. Or the exact location of the bodies under The Crumbie.
She is the CEO of a multimillion pound sporting club, she isn’t in the position to break confidences or discuss contract details
Ellie
Tiger Cub

Post by Ellie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:57 pm
ourla wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:46 pm Not sure what people expect from such an interview.

I’m unsure what earth shattering disclosures people were expecting too. The Barrett brothers buying a farm in the Strettons perhaps. Or the exact location of the bodies under The Crumbie.
She is the CEO of a multimillion pound sporting club, she isn’t in the position to break confidences or discuss contract details
Wasn’t expecting her to break confidences or discuss contract details not sure why you thought that is what people were expecting as it would be career suicide if she did. Not expecting “earth shattering disclosures” either and I doubt she would know if the Barrett brothers were buying a farm unless we had signed them! (We can but hope) But I did expect some detail on certain areas with timescales, particularly about communication of renewed and new signings considering she said this was all but complete. She gave detail on the PRC her view in that it needs an identity so it can be marketed and developed correctly but that is an RFU/wider rugby issue, that level of opinion and detail on the others areas would have been far more informative than the bland responses I felt she gave in a number of areas.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

So things are all but complete, so not complete yet but you felt she could give more details without breaking confidentiality or contract agreements
Ellie
Tiger Cub

Post by Ellie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:15 pm So things are all but complete, so not complete yet but you felt she could give more details without breaking confidentiality or contract agreements
No, I think you need to re-read my comment. I clearly state I did not expect her to break confidentiality or contracts agreements but you seem to missed the point of my response.