Re: The Rolling Maul Podcast - Special Guests

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

another great interview with Shazam this week
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Agreed, the show has been on top form recently, especially in light of the poor performances that had to be discussed. I am expecting a whole lot more positives in this week's episode.

Big thumbs up to those involved. I am relatively new to listening to podcasts but it has not taken me long to appreciate that it is the personality and passion of those presenting that make or break it. I have tried a few other rugby podcasts over the last few weeks but they just come across as a bit too straight laced and staid. It is discussing sport, it is just not right if it is not an outpouring of passion and frustration in varying degrees.

My suggestion for a future segment, best Tigers pre professional 15 then a play of between the professional and amateur sides.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

GB72 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm Agreed, the show has been on top form recently, especially in light of the poor performances that had to be discussed. I am expecting a whole lot more positives in this week's episode.

Big thumbs up to those involved. I am relatively new to listening to podcasts but it has not taken me long to appreciate that it is the personality and passion of those presenting that make or break it. I have tried a few other rugby podcasts over the last few weeks but they just come across as a bit too straight laced and staid. It is discussing sport, it is just not right if it is not an outpouring of passion and frustration in varying degrees.

My suggestion for a future segment, best Tigers pre professional 15 then a play of between the professional and amateur sides.
good idea though personally I would have to abstain from voting and my pre pro knowledge is severely lacking, I bet it would be a fun listen
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:39 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm Agreed, the show has been on top form recently, especially in light of the poor performances that had to be discussed. I am expecting a whole lot more positives in this week's episode.

good idea though personally I would have to abstain from voting and my pre pro knowledge is severely lacking, I bet it would be a fun listen
Even I only go back to the early 1980s so maybe a cutoff time to how far back you go with this, Sad but with the ever increasing numbers of rugby greats passing on, it would be nice to have a trip down memory lane and perhaps encourage the new generation of Tigers supporters to have a look into what came before.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I go back to the 70s and then and moving into the 80s our strength lay in the backs.
You would struggle to find a better or more entertaining amateur back line than,

Nic Youngs, Les Cusworth, Rory Underwood, Paul Dodge, Clive Woodward, Barry Evans, Dusty Hare.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Thanks so much for the kind words GB.

We’d love to have some tribute to the amateur era legends but it’s tough as c.60% of our listener base are under 40 so have limited experience of some of the club legends - although of course we’re all aware of them. I remember Deano, Rory etc from when I was very young, but missed out on seeing Wheeler, Dodge etc.

Because of that, we may struggle to go position by position on votes, but we may put out a request for suggestions on who you would back from the amateur era to get into the pro team - we can do that for the forwards and backs.
JeffBadland
Tiger Cub

Post by JeffBadland »

I know you've previously ruled out creating a Patreon account, but I'd personally be happy to contribute to the Podcast. It's a real asset and definitely worth paying for.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

JeffBadland wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:49 am I know you've previously ruled out creating a Patreon account, but I'd personally be happy to contribute to the Podcast. It's a real asset and definitely worth paying for.
Thanks Jeff, lovely to hear but we’re determined to keep it free. That said, we’ll never say no to being shouted a pint at the ground!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

iceman_19 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:34 pm
JeffBadland wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:49 am I know you've previously ruled out creating a Patreon account, but I'd personally be happy to contribute to the Podcast. It's a real asset and definitely worth paying for.
Thanks Jeff, lovely to hear but we’re determined to keep it free. That said, we’ll never say no to being shouted a pint at the ground!
you could do what other pods do, keep a free feed but have a patreon that offers an add free (not that you have many right now) version and other bonus content
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Apologies for the double update, I need to get better at this…

Two more guests to tell you about:

10 January 2023 - Sam Harrison pops in from down under to talk about what it’s like to lose coaches halfway through a season and deal with the fans after a heavy loss. https://tinyurl.com/2625upr9

17 January 2023 - Tom Croft joins us to discuss what it was like seeing his mates lift the trophy last year, the experience of being housemates with the Youngs brothers, and his highlights at Leicester. Squidge Rugby also joins us to preview Friday’s game against his beloved Ospreys. https://tinyurl.com/4s834yf9
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

iceman_19 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:16 pm Apologies for the double update, I need to get better at this…

Two more guests to tell you about:

10 January 2023 - Sam Harrison pops in from down under to talk about what it’s like to lose coaches halfway through a season and deal with the fans after a heavy loss. https://tinyurl.com/2625upr9

17 January 2023 - Tom Croft joins us to discuss what it was like seeing his mates lift the trophy last year, the experience of being housemates with the Youngs brothers, and his highlights at Leicester. Squidge Rugby also joins us to preview Friday’s game against his beloved Ospreys. https://tinyurl.com/4s834yf9
Started listening on the way into work this morning and I already want a 'post watershed' version of that Tom Croft interview.
bendy

Post by bendy »

I don't know if you've recorded this week's episode yet, but if not, surely you should be implementing a 'six cans of Thatchers each' minimum drink requirement before hitting 'record' as the only fitting tribute to Mr F.Burns Esq.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Top work fellas as always. Bondi is always an interesting listen, but Tom Croft has to be my favourite so far. Whilst it's great listening to ex-players views on how the current crop is doing, I'm a sucker for any weird stories about what certain players used to do or any shenanigans that they got up to ! Keep up the good work.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:58 pm I go back to the 70s and then and moving into the 80s our strength lay in the backs.
You would struggle to find a better or more entertaining amateur back line than,

Nic Youngs, Les Cusworth, Rory Underwood, Paul Dodge, Clive Woodward, Barry Evans, Dusty Hare.
Oh yes,
Those were truly wonderful days with so much entertainment, pride and passion, where supporters mingled with the players after the game, and struck up interesting conersations with them.

Our back line remained the best in the country for many years. Glorious to behold. :
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Evening all,

Apologies again for the "bumper" update, but here's some of the great guests we've had on over the last month, in case you fancy a listen:

24 January 2023 - Sam Williamson AKA Bondi - Bondi chats to us about life behind the scenes during an unprecedented season at the club: https://tinyurl.com/y384ehsy

14 February 2023 - Vicky Macqueen and Katie Childs - Vicky and Katie stop in to chat about how the Women's season has gone from strength to strength and how they're building towards life in the Premier 15s: https://tinyurl.com/ycyw6jbr

21 February 2023 - Nic Dolly - we speak to the England hooker about coming back from injury and life in the Tigers' front row: https://tinyurl.com/v4yxtb9y

28 February 2023 - Matt Toomua - Matt joins us from Japan to give us some insight on Dan McKellar, discuss his time at Tigers and reveal Greg Bateman's Christmas Tree collection.... https://tinyurl.com/4d2wp93p

Hope you enjoy!