Tigers v Exeter (Away) - 10th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Tigers v Exeter (Away) - 10th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Tigerbeat »

Grannyman wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:32 pm Why isn’t the Bristol v Bath available on premiership tv?
Probably because it was scheduled for BT Sport
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:33 pm
Grannyman wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:32 pm Why isn’t the Bristol v Bath available on premiership tv?
Peobably because it was scheduled for BT Sport
But it isn’t on BT Sport
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

This was always going to be a tough start. Next week too won’t be easy v Newcastle, a side that can score tries.
Credit to Tigers for coming back into the game: trouble is if Whitcombe and Lady Gaga are injured we are in trouble prop wise.
As I said in my post yesterday, home advantage could be the difference and their bench was stronger than ours, and sadly so it proved.
It was the first half performance and injury to Freddie that hurt us.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:30 pm Let’s be right, Exeter deserved that. Defensively we were superb, Martin & Cole standouts. Very little shown in attack and the opposition at least ran the ball with conviction. I reckon that’s a good point, given the missing players etc - on we go, we will get better.
Thinking about it - bit more it was like a Tigers performance in that first 6-8 months under Borthwick.

You couldn’t fault the endeavour, the defence was good today too but we looked devoid of ideas in attack.

I imagine that will be the frustration because we were far better offensively than that last season even with players missing like today.

Onwards and upwards though, not doom and gloom by any means - like RB says we have plenty of players to come back into the frame.

Exeter meanwhile will bash through most teams playing like that and will be up there at the end of the season if they maintain that level
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Just seen the stats. Tigers won’t wiping many games if they have to make over 200 tackles! Is that right! If so, we certainly need to keep the ball more but do we have the backs to do it?
Couldn’t go today but will be at Saints and Sarries! Hope we have more ball by then or we will be in serious trouble.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:27 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:24 pm If Exeter was that much better than us how come they only won it in the last play of the game?
Because we defended well?

You could could argue that we showed heart and desire and put in a decent defensive performance and ignore the rest of the performance I guess
Our forwards were excellent and probably outplayed their opposite numbers for more than half the game. The first 35 minutes we dominated the kicking battle as well.

We can't afford to be that wasteful with chances this season.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

The Youngs drag back, the Woodburn clatter on Burns and the Ewers knock on, all clear as day decisions that should have gone tigers way but ignored, either incompetence or the old look away now!!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:41 pm This was always going to be a tough start. Next week too won’t be easy v Newcastle, a side that can score tries.
Credit to Tigers for coming back into the game: trouble is if Whitcombe and Lady Gaga are injured we are in trouble prop wise.
As I said in my post yesterday, home advantage could be the difference and their bench was stronger than ours, and sadly so it proved.
It was the first half performance and injury to Freddie that hurt us.
Think the front row was sound, line out didn’t really execute, the tigers back play was just flat as, nothing at all of any attacking intention. While we have Nadolo he needs to be played as he will smash a hole every so often.

As for the new boys, Cronin looks solid, Cokansiga looked busy, JG didn’t have the best of starts, Cracknell not in the same league as Reffell, we may well miss Van Standen.

Martin was outstanding and my MOM.
JWar

Post by JWar »

Considering 1 year ago Exeter were be of the best sides in the league. I think the players performed well considering most of the back line hadn’t played together. I think a few poor decisions went against us today. Focus on next week and I’m sure we will improve. Defence was on point for today!
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Whilst I agree with all the comments about stats, tackles, carries, mètres made etc etc, the fact is we were leading with three minutes to go and with à free kick from the scrum. We should have been able to run down the clock from there. Game management cost us the game even though we deserved to lose based on the balance of play.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:24 pm If Exeter was that much better than us how come they only won it in the last play of the game?

You could could argue that we showed heart and desire and put in a decent defensive performance and ignore the rest of the performance I guess
Defence is literally half of rugby.
So how can Exeter still be miles ahead of us?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think with Poter out not starting Nadolo was the wrong move.

Throw in Kelly and or Porter in the centres and we win IMO
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Some real positives today, special mentions to Martin & Cole.

On another day that's an away win at Sandy Park, a rare thing.

Let's face it Borthwick normally picks the on paper stronger team in the home games too.

My biggest worry is that Martin maybe gone also in the Internationals too...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:05 pm I think with Poter out not starting Nadolo was the wrong move.

Throw in Kelly and or Porter in the centres and we win IMO
I'd agree with that. We lacked penetration in attack, particularly in the first half. Kelly and Porter would have been considerably more cohesive and challenged the Chiefs defensive line. Chiefs were able to hide Whitten's lack of pace in the 13 channel which is an area Ulster ruthlessly exposed them.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:04 pm

Defence is literally half of rugby.
So how can Exeter still be miles ahead of us?
I said they were much the better team and on the day I think they were, we did do enough ball in hand to demand the win.

They had 3 held up on the line (you can argue great defence of course) and plenty of half breaks whilst we barely threatened ball in hand- Saumaki in the first half is the only time I recall us doing anything in hand.

As I say I don’t think it’s doom and gloom or that Exeter are “miles ahead” of us it was just a day where the opposition were better, deserved the win and we didn’t perform in, as you rightly note, half of the game.

I also agree that the officiating was terrible but for once we didn’t do enough to take it out the argument.

Hey ho; I’m sure it’ll come good on time - it’s just frustrating we let this one slip when we played 50% (at best) of what we can