Tigers v Exeter (Away) - 10th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Exeter (Away) - 10th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok so this is the next game, seen a few predicted teams on the preseason thread.

Here's the team I'd pick (though I'm sure SB will pull something out the hat)

Watson
Ashton
Scott
Gopperth
Potter
Burns
Youngs
Cronin
Clare
Cole
Wells
Snyman
Martin
Liebenberg
Cracknell

Taufete'e
Whitcombe
Hurd
Henderson
Jansen
Reffell
Wigglesworth
Murimurivalu

Ok so I've gone 6-2 bench, but Kini covers so many positions that is the backline covered.

Also I'd love to just have Reffell possibly popping off the bench causing mayhem towards the end, but he may not "quite" be there in his preseason journey so I'm liking the option not to have to play him early if there's an injury.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Exeter (Away) - 10th September 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Totally agree with that side TFS.
Not a fan of the 6/2 split bench so would give Reffell another week and either put Hegarty if fit or Cocanasinga on the bench.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hmm, I'd like some more impact in that back three. Ashton and Potter works if we're going to be kicking orientated but against a physical team like Exeter where I'd expect us to have possession we might want another gain line breaker.

Replace Ashton with one of Kini/Saumaki/Nadolo. Cokanasiga should definitely be on the bench, been impressed by him so far. Less impressed by Jansen in that friendly Vs Falcons, errors and I wanted to see more impact ball in hand.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Thought Jansen showed plenty of physicality both sides of the ball. His hands were the issue.
I would like to see more of Murimurivalu on the wing but the coaches don’t seem to agree as he hasn’t had a lot of time there during the friendlies.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cronin
Clare
Cole
Wells
Snyman
Cracknell
Liebenberg
Martin
Youngs
Burns
Nadolo
Gopperth
Scott
Potter
Watson

Whitcombe,Taufetee,Ladygaga,Henderson,Reffell,WW,Hegarty,Cockanisiga
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:08 am I would like to see more of Murimurivalu on the wing but the coaches don’t seem to agree as he hasn’t had a lot of time there during the friendlies.
That's the bit I find interesting - he's not getting many starts and has (very) rarely played in the position he occupied for much of his career in France and has played all over the place for us; and he still signed a new deal. Says a lot about the man and the environment I'd imagine
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think if Watson does start we will have Hegarty on the bench as an insurance policy. Although we could always move Gopperth to 10,have Burns at FB and move Scott to 12 and have Cockanisiga outside him so there are options. I would have Bryce and Phil both on the bench
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

My worry about Nadolo was born out having watched the highlights on YouTube. Once he is beaten first step he is then out of the contest he no longer has the pace to turn and chase back. I do agree that Saumaki or Murimurivalu may be a better bet on the other wing with Potter having nailed down one side.

Re Jansen again the highlights are only 6 minutes but he is very heavily involved in the game.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:26 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:08 am I would like to see more of Murimurivalu on the wing but the coaches don’t seem to agree as he hasn’t had a lot of time there during the friendlies.
That's the bit I find interesting - he's not getting many starts and has (very) rarely played in the position he occupied for much of his career in France and has played all over the place for us; and he still signed a new deal. Says a lot about the man and the environment I'd imagine
If you watch the interview with Anthony Watson on LTTV he talks about how he loves training with Kini and that he makes him laugh every day. Murimurivalu is very experienced, very versatile and is apparently the type of feel good factor in the dressing room every club needs. Borthwick seems to like them, ditto Burns.

Re Jansen, he just didn't seem to get over the gain line enough. He was busy and hard working but he was a step down on the likes of Martin and Liebenburg who would carry at least a metre past initial contact every time. I'm not writing him off just think he needs to work on his footwork a bit like Martin has done previously.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Think we need to be a bit patient with Jansen . He was working on a building site a few months ago so a bit more experience and strength /conditioning and he’ll be much better.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:18 pm Think we need to be a bit patient with Jansen . He was working on a building site a few months ago so a bit more experience and strength /conditioning and he’ll be much better.
Oh I agree he is definitely going to get better. I do take Sam’s point but in contact he is often taking 2 or 3 players so while not making much ground he is tying in players and as other posters have mentioned we seem to be working on a much faster ruck speed which this will help with.
We all see slightly different things which is why it’s so interesting
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:27 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:18 pm Think we need to be a bit patient with Jansen . He was working on a building site a few months ago so a bit more experience and strength /conditioning and he’ll be much better.
Oh I agree he is definitely going to get better. I do take Sam’s point but in contact he is often taking 2 or 3 players so while not making much ground he is tying in players and as other posters have mentioned we seem to be working on a much faster ruck speed which this will help with.
We all see slightly different things which is why it’s so interesting
I thought, apart from the couple of dropped restarts, he was actually pretty good. Carried hard and chased kicks well. Made some big tackles (not many people are bumping 117.5kg off) as well. Tied in defenders and did the hard yards needed.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The Exeter v Ulster friendly on Friday evening 2nd Sept is available on the BBC i player (and BBC Ulster).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62724311
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Just a reminder that the Ulster/ Exeter game can be seen on BBC iplayer. Log in to iplayer, change your location to Northern Ireland and the game is on BBC2 at 18: 45
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Not sure what Tigers can learn from this. Half - time Ulster 19 (three tries) Exeter 0

Exeter have been disjointed, unable to catch, knocked-on and given away a dozen penalties. It is a split side, however, as they are also playing Pirates tonight.