Single use paper cups?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Single use paper cups?

Post by anz3001 »

So to be clear, the clubs are struggling financially for all sorts of reasons, everyone is worried about the existence of the game, the club goes with a (short term?) cost cutting measure and everyone boycotts the bars or wants to know where 5% of their pint has gone. 😂
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

With any business (however much you love it) there is really only one way you can communicate with it in an effective way .. vote with your feet/ Wallet, it is the only language they understand.
Just because you are invested in that business, or indeed own part of it, however small, which many of us do, it does not mean you have to support it in all its decisions. If the decision is a poor one and not in your interest as a consumer or your needs are not met by it, then opt out of that aspect.
If businesses listen to their consumers they are more likely to stay in business.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but those most adaptable to change” Charles Darwin
bendy

Post by bendy »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 pm So to be clear, the clubs are struggling financially for all sorts of reasons, everyone is worried about the existence of the game, the club goes with a (short term?) cost cutting measure and everyone boycotts the bars or wants to know where 5% of their pint has gone. 😂
I think this is a valid point - but my irritation (and I imagine others') is with the lack of honesty/transparency.

If the club came out and said "look, it's cheaper for us to use paper cups. So this is what we're doing - hopefully we'll use this extra cash to tie up some players on long term contracts" that would be one thing, but this "...in the interests of environmental concerns" is, being frank, just guff isn't it?

I do agree though anz, there are bigger fish to fry at the moment. Doesn't really seem worth moaning about this.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Single use paper cups ae being trialled is what I read. Paper can be recycled and I guess that the club will be saving quite a bit.
1. Cost of cup v plastic mug - cheaper
2. Disposal of plastic cups requires staff to be placed in returns points to give refunds.
If the trial is deemed to be acceptable and successful this will make some savings for the club.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It may make savings for the catering company but I don't see that it will for the club. The cups having no value will be dropped on the floor and terraces and will need clearing up. Do you seriously think someone is going to sort through the debris and the bins full of chip wrappers etc to save recyclable paper cups to gain 10p for the foundation. I was happy to let the club keep my season ticket money when there were no matches I am.not prepared to be shafted on my beer for the profits of the catering company.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

And it has to be that the catering company are making more? Not that it was in everyone’s interests and the contract was renegotiated or a review took place that brought costs down.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Update on Cups Around the Stadium

In an effort to create more sustainable matchdays at Mattioli Woods Welford Road, we trialled paper cups during our pre-season fixture. These cups were not to the standard required, and the club will therefore be using recycled and recyclable plastic cups to serve drinks.

Our catering supplier Levy generously agreed to donate 10p to the Leicester Tigers Foundation for every plastic cup deposited in the MIXED RECYCLING bins around the stadium. This will raise significant funds to support the excellent work of the Foundation and also means no deposit will need to be paid for these cups, hopefully leading to a speedier service at food and drink outlets.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

That sounds like good news all round the club have listened.