Why were there so many Scots from Leicester

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why were there so many Scots from Leicester

Post by sk 88 »

Robin Money was from Hawick & I think also just sneaks inside the 50 year cut off the club mentions. Ian Swan (Scotland) I think falls just outside the cut off, as does Colin Martin (New Zealand). Harry Greenless (Scotland) is another "foreigner" to captain the club, getting on for 100 years ago. Looking at the names of the pre-1895 sides where I don't recognise the players as well I would bet at least one of those was Scottish, particularly with such a big Scottish community in Leicester at the time.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Roadsweeper »

Why were there so many Scots in Leicester in the 1890's?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Why were there so many Scots from Leicester

Post by Rugbygramps »

Roadsweeper wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:00 pm Why were there so many Scots in Leicester in the 1890's?
Because Corby hadn’t yet been built :smt017
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There were many Scots in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. Many came to work in the coalfields. There was a further influx in the 20s/30s when the depression was biting hard in Scotland.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:46 pm There were many Scots in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. Many came to work in the coalfields. There was a further influx in the 20s/30s when the depression was biting hard in Scotland.
Think it was also to do with the hosiery & cloth trade.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

sk 88 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:31 pm
Old Hob wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:46 pm There were many Scots in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. Many came to work in the coalfields. There was a further influx in the 20s/30s when the depression was biting hard in Scotland.
Think it was also to do with the hosiery & cloth trade.
Agreed. I think the colliers were mainly in North Notts
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

On Scots in Leicestershire.
Two groups to consider:
1, Those decending from Navvies on canals and railways. Take a look around the County for places where they billeted or stayed with Scotland in the name;

2, Post WW1 depression further compounded by post WW2 constraints and Scottish heavy engineering and mining diminishing.

My own history is father a Highlander, serves in WW2. Billeted for period in Leicestershire, married local lass, demobbed and saw where work was! If questioned I'd play for Scotland even if chased by England (in my dreams LOL)

A further reflection of this is the Scots influence on English League football in the 50's to 80's
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

As an old friend and dyed in the wool born and bred Scot said to me when I told him I was moving north of the border..................................."What you doing that for, I'd do anything for Scotland, I'd die for it, but I'm no living in that freezing, wet midgie, infested place for any amount of money".....................................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.