Worcester’s woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by Rugbygramps »

If it was down to me, and thankfully it isn’t, I would say to a potential buyer that is it for this season, you will have a place in the championship next season if you have the following criteria in place by June 1st 2023.
I understand that could affect the other clubs through loss of revenue for their games v Worcester, but surely it is better to know what is going on.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:27 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:21 pm

A four week loan for those four players would have been pretty cheap and Bath have injuries so could have covered it with injury dispensation. If the combined salary of those four was £600k per annum then it's £50k for the four week loan period to have all four with the club. Quite conceivably affordable.

Unlikely to be able to afford them for the season unless the players take a serious pay cut or the PRL agree to a change in cap rules though.
Sam I think the question is not so much around finance but more who are these 4 players on loan from as they are no longer employees of Worcester rugby club. Would that make them free agents on short term deals.
The contracts aren't negated yet so currently the loan arrangements still stand. What happens after that I don't know. As you say you can't have a loan from a company that doesn't exist. I guess the players agents will be in talks and a short term contract might suit all parties whilst negotiations over longer term take place.
Ah I read it that the players are now free to move on and as such contracts no longer exist between the players and Worcester
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:34 pm It is understood Warriors could now have their suspension from the Premiership and other competitions extended until the end of season - and suffer relegation to the Championship.

But, if a buyer is found by the middle of this month, they could still save their place in the Premiership.
That is not what the administrator is saying, they have asked the RFU not to relegate them using covid as the reason, the RFU have told them they are on thin ice using covid as the reason, it has not been confirmed yet, but relegation is looking likely according to reports today.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:22 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:27 pm

Sam I think the question is not so much around finance but more who are these 4 players on loan from as they are no longer employees of Worcester rugby club. Would that make them free agents on short term deals.
The contracts aren't negated yet so currently the loan arrangements still stand. What happens after that I don't know. As you say you can't have a loan from a company that doesn't exist. I guess the players agents will be in talks and a short term contract might suit all parties whilst negotiations over longer term take place.
Ah I read it that the players are now free to move on and as such contracts no longer exist between the players and Worcester
Yes it's going through today. Sorry, the loan agreements still stand but probably only for a matter of hours. Enough that the players can train today and be insured whilst the train. By tomorrow, different story but I'm sure their agents are thrashing out details as we speak.

If Shillcock, Venter and Atkinson want to come down to Tigers for an initial short term spell I would be adverse to that. Don't think they've got an openside that would suit us unless Hill wants out of Bath already.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Stupid suggestion I know and not one that should have to even be considered but perhaps some of the highest earners at current clubs could support their fellow players by accepting a short term salary reduction until the end of the season to allow clubs to sign players from Worcester under the current salary cap without significant additional expenditure at already strapped clubs.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

George Skivington the latest in an ever growing line saying that players need to take serious pay cuts. I would suggest not just the players George.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/Mcossalifrancis/sta ... a9dGw&s=19

Some, if not positive, not terrible news for Worcester. P shares not being taken from Worcester yet.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:42 pm George Skivington the latest in an ever growing line saying that players need to take serious pay cuts. I would suggest not just the players George.
A few weeks ago I was told that one of their marquee players was approached by another Premiership club offering the player 10% of what he was on....the vultures are circling.....a sad day for rugby and hope the players find employment with a decent salary.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Interesting that the lady in charge of the Administration of Worcester RFC Trading, has come out today in an interview (with the Telegraph) and said.

Due to the complexity of the transaction, she doubts the club will be ready to take the field for their PRC game vs Exeter (October 19th) OR their Prem fixture vs Bristol (October 22nd). Stating it is "unlikely"

That is with the news of liquidation of the "Worcester Players" company. So the person most in the know on the club as a whole is only calling off 2 more games (due to their bye week)

That would be only be 3 league games and a PRC game, thanks to a bye week. Just about possible to be allowed to play the rest of their games...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I suggest the cap be raised by approx £400,000 per club, that would allow, if clubs could afford it, for say each club to sign say 4 players each at an average of £100,000 per player, that would keep all 40 odd players employed.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:39 pm Interesting that the lady in charge of the Administration of Worcester RFC Trading, has come out today in an interview (with the Telegraph) and said.

Due to the complexity of the transaction, she doubts the club will be ready to take the field for their PRC game vs Exeter (October 19th) OR their Prem fixture vs Bristol (October 22nd). Stating it is "unlikely"

That is with the news of liquidation of the "Worcester Players" company. So the person most in the know on the club as a whole is only calling off 2 more games (due to their bye week)

That would be only be 3 league games and a PRC game, thanks to a bye week. Just about possible to be allowed to play the rest of their games...
I'm not as optimistic as you sadly Steve Diamond says it's like the Titanic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63142239
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The news today about the players and staff is awful but expected.
I would like to think they can/could all be inducted to the remaining clubs in the PFL.
We had Joe Batley here on loan and he did OK. I would certainly welcome him back.
A life long Tiger
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Duhan van der Merwe returning to Edinburgh on a "long term deal" subject to visa, medical etc.

Terrible for this to happen to Worcester, I hope all players and staff/coaches/medics etc. can find a new position with another team swiftly.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Smudge wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:04 pm The news today about the players and staff is awful but expected.
I would like to think they can/could all be inducted to the remaining clubs in the PFL.
We had Joe Batley here on loan and he did OK. I would certainly welcome him back.
No, hes only a squad player, not good enough for us.