Worcester’s woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by CJ »

I feel so sorry for the staff, supporters and players. Always looked on Wuss as a decent ‘proper’ rugby club, grounded in their community. All very, very sad.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

One of the cowboy owners put out this atrocious statement 30min before kickoff of the match

Note if fails to say that not paying your staff is *technically* a breach of contract

https://twitter.com/alastaireykyn/statu ... ygvFQ&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

It seems to blame people being upset for not getting paid for the contract taking time to be completed. Arrogant beyond belief.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Offside wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:03 am It seems to blame people being upset for not getting paid for the contract taking time to be completed. Arrogant beyond belief.
Just totally off-tone!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What happens to the results of games that have been played if/when Worcester fold? This seems increasingly likely when this month’s salaries come due for payment.

Hardly fair for teams that played to get more/less than those who win by forfeit in these circumstances.

Covid forced isolated forfeits but if a team drops out, will all of their results be ignored?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mol2 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:14 pm What happens to the results of games that have been played if/when Worcester fold? This seems increasingly likely when this month’s salaries come due for payment.

Hardly fair for teams that played to get more/less than those who win by forfeit in these circumstances.

Covid forced isolated forfeits but if a team drops out, will all of their results be ignored?
Either expunged for the games played or all done as 5-0 walkovers I'd imagine
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:14 pm What happens to the results of games that have been played if/when Worcester fold? This seems increasingly likely when this month’s salaries come due for payment.

There's 4 outcomes as I see it.

1 - The sale goes through this week and they invest the required funds to get the club out the mess (if the current owners are to be believed this will happen in 24 hours)

2 - The sale collapses and multiple fixtures are forfeited, the club ceases to exist in current form assests are sold off to fund creditors

3 - Sale collapses but as they can't host fuxtures they can't function as a club and are forced into administration. The Jim O'Toole consortium's or one of the other groups looking at buying the club after administration come in and rescue the club, get them functioning as a rugby club, probably with only one or two forfeited games. Club may be relegated or not but continue as a club.

4 - Sale goes through but the task is too much for the new owners and they decide it isn't worth the risk after a few weeks and options 2 or 3 occur later in the season...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Even if the sale goes through the fact the current owners are possibly going to be involved is a bit of an issue....the fact the buyer is a mystery is rather intriguing....anyone know where Ed Griffiths & his briefcase is?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Visited family in Worcester not confident that they would be rescued.

Suggested they redecorate the bedroom in Warriors colours to red white & green!

I'll qualify this by saying it's not a joke for those on the payroll who don't know if they have jobs.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:31 pm Even if the sale goes through the fact the current owners are possibly going to be involved is a bit of an issue....the fact the buyer is a mystery is rather intriguing....anyone know where Ed Griffiths & his briefcase is?
Yeah there's a few people saying that there are some legitimate reasons why they may want them there (essentially a way of holding them accountable for things...) I don't know enough about how these things go to fully understand if that's genuine, but here is a tweet saying this

https://twitter.com/Phill_Mason/status/ ... BxATg&s=19

However on first glimpse that is not a great look, however anything coming from the current owners has to be taken with a pinch of salt as it.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Gone midday and still no news on a new owner or funding?

I'm being lead to believe their cup game is on but no team news yet?

I hope the staff, players and supporters get a break from these 'cowboys' (soft noun/adjective to please the Forum Police).

I thought the Sarries financial deviance of PL rules was a disgrace, proven so and punished. Players were happy and fans in denial.

The Worcs case appears to be top-trumping them in their owners questionable financial skullduggery. With £M CVC/PL, and Covid support loans where has it gone? Both Players/staff and supporters understandably not happy.

Do such loans make the CVC, PL, national taxpayer creditors?

My hope is that the Worcs case is recognised as being different. Improper funds going in at Sarries against legitimate funds or loans going in and out (disappearing?) at the Warriors.

Surely the RFU should be questing the Worcester management into bringing the game into disrepute? Fat chance iI fear. I'll have to give up afternoon alcohol :smt030
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:56 pm Gone midday and still no news on a new owner or funding?

I'm being lead to believe their cup game is on but no team news yet?

I hope the staff, players and supporters get a break from these 'cowboys' (soft noun/adjective to please the Forum Police).

I thought the Sarries financial deviance of PL rules was a disgrace, proven so and punished. Players were happy and fans in denial.

The Worcs case appears to be top-trumping them in their owners questionable financial skullduggery. With £M CVC/PL, and Covid support loans where has it gone? Both Players/staff and supporters understandably not happy.

Do such loans make the CVC, PL, national taxpayer creditors?

My hope is that the Worcs case is recognised as being different. Improper funds going in at Sarries against legitimate funds or loans going in and out (disappearing?) at the Warriors.

Surely the RFU should be questing the Worcester management into bringing the game into disrepute? Fat chance iI fear. I'll have to give up afternoon alcohol :smt030
Nofrontteeth Worcester are due to be playing at Gloucester tomorrow night in the PRC. Certain sense of irony there.
Last chance saloon for me this if they can’t put a team out they should be removed from all competitions.
No comparison for me between this and Sarries. Sarries was endemic across the club. Worcester down to the mis management of 2 chancers.
Regarding the points, if they do stop playing, as they have already played 2 games and both their opponents have gained 5 match points, for me the only fair option is for 5 points to be awarded to each of their opponents rather than taking 5 points from those that have already played.
The great sadness to me, if they do go under, is that certainly in their back line they have players that will cause any team issues. That midfield of Williams, Venter and Lawrence looked more than useful.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The club have confirmed they're fulfilling the game tomorrow, though it seems like they are delaying team announcements till tomorrow also. (Guessing issues with funding the registration of loan players)

With it being an away fixture it should be relatively speaking easier for them to fund. Home game Saturday will be tougher...
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Rugbygramps,
With you in that the details and culture between Sarries and the Warriors administration being clearly different other than in that old adage " money currupts".

That unfortunately is a fact that gets in the way of journalists / bloggers from painting Rugby Union clubs as being financially immoral and not to be sponsored. Another nail in the Rugby coffin along with shrinking attendances and concussion worries?

Warriors are a good Rugby club with some very good players and fans and they deserve support.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »