Worcester’s woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by trendylfj »

I had hoped that Worcs would get the same treatment as Wasps and would be able to carry on playing at 6ways but it is seeming to be further and further away - just my opinion. Now with the issue of LI having trouble in paying wages to their staff I can see next season being a 10-team league by default. Let's hope it gets sorted out quickly and that this is the last bit of this type of news for our great game.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

trendylfj wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:58 am I had hoped that Worcs would get the same treatment as Wasps and would be able to carry on playing at 6ways but it is seeming to be further and further away - just my opinion. Now with the issue of LI having trouble in paying wages to their staff I can see next season being a 10-team league by default. Let's hope it gets sorted out quickly and that this is the last bit of this type of news for our great game.
I think there was an issue with the owners of Sixways not wanting Warriors to play there anymore.

As for Wasps, no ground , no money, no players. Just get on a pull the rug
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Back on Worcester for a min...

https://twitter.com/MattHardyJourno/sta ... tjTrw&s=19

Today is the deadline for Atlas to be buying the club... if they fail, then Steve Diamond & Adam Hewitt probably become favourites to take over
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:46 am [quote=GB72 post_id=854604 time=1683020378 user_id=10652
Left field question would a merger between Irish and Ealing be feasible
IMHO, only if Ealing's owners wished to buy Irish's seat at the Premiership. That would mean an end to the London Irish brand in pro-rugby.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Worcester are now owned by Atlas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65471172
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Atlas take over is now a done deal and complete but there are still many questions to be answered - which league? merger with Stourbridge? Wasps playing at 6 ways? stiill much work to be done
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

trendylfj wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:48 pm Atlas take over is now a done deal and complete but there are still many questions to be answered - which league? merger with Stourbridge? Wasps playing at 6 ways? stiill much work to be done
As far as I’m aware Worcester have not got permission to play in the championship next season and I thought a playing merger had been agreed with Stourbridge.
Really can’t see the interest being there for Wasps to make a go of playing championship rugby at Sixways. At the moment I don’t see Wasps playing anywhere
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Sadly I think it is more smoke and mirrors. Keep a bit of rugby at Sixways for a year or so until it is all forgotten about then bring in the bulldozers and develop. Sadly I think that anyone who thinks that top level rugby will ever be played there again is kidding themselves. Sad, but however much they invest, you could be looking at a decade, if at all, before the Stourbridge club is even thinking about reaching that level and I just do not see Atlas as having bought the ground as a long term project to develop a rugby club that will never recoup the investment needed.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:50 pm Sadly I think it is more smoke and mirrors. Keep a bit of rugby at Sixways for a year or so until it is all forgotten about then bring in the bulldozers and develop. Sadly I think that anyone who thinks that top level rugby will ever be played there again is kidding themselves. Sad, but however much they invest, you could be looking at a decade, if at all, before the Stourbridge club is even thinking about reaching that level and I just do not see Atlas as having bought the ground as a long term project to develop a rugby club that will never recoup the investment needed.
Not to forget that Stourbridge have just been relegated from the league that Leicester lions won so they aren’t up on an upward path at present.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:18 pm
GB72 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:50 pm Sadly I think it is more smoke and mirrors. Keep a bit of rugby at Sixways for a year or so until it is all forgotten about then bring in the bulldozers and develop. Sadly I think that anyone who thinks that top level rugby will ever be played there again is kidding themselves. Sad, but however much they invest, you could be looking at a decade, if at all, before the Stourbridge club is even thinking about reaching that level and I just do not see Atlas as having bought the ground as a long term project to develop a rugby club that will never recoup the investment needed.
Not to forget that Stourbridge have just been relegated from the league that Leicester lions won so they aren’t up on an upward path at present.
I think they used to have a load of Worcester Dev loanees, so when Worcester went under they lost significant chunks of their squad
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Now the takeover of Worcester is complete, Wasps have applied to play rugby at Sixways.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Part of the purchase agreement was that they aren't allowed to do anything on the Sixways site in terms of development for a number of years after purchase. I suspect that any attempt inside the next decade would see the local planning committee turn them down. The local MP has previously said that there's no chance of any planning on that site if the rugby team aren't playing games at Sixways.

The investors might have to hold the assets a while before they can maximise the value of them.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Article in the Times saying London Irish's game this weekend is in doubt over non-payment of insurance....

Feels like De-ja-vu
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:27 pm Article in the Times saying London Irish's game this weekend is in doubt over non-payment of insurance....

Feels like De-ja-vu
Hopefully the game will go ahead. If not I can see Exeter being awarded 5 match points which would move them up to 5th
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://archive.is/zBiVw

Times article re. LI