Worcester’s woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by tigerburnie »

Well this could throw a spanner in the plans of some.........................
https://www.cityam.com/worcester-and-wa ... om-owners/
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/StourbridgeRFC/stat ... Urzsg&s=19

Looks like the vote to become Worcester Warriors has been set.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:29 am https://twitter.com/StourbridgeRFC/stat ... Urzsg&s=19

Looks like the vote to become Worcester Warriors has been set.
"1. Subject to Regulation 4 of the RFU Regulations Stourbridge Lions 2022 Rugby Football Club Limited (“Lions”) are merged/integrated with Stourbridge Rugby Football Club Limited (“SRFC”) as soon as possible and with the intention that the merger/integration takes effect for the September 2023 season (or sooner – if achievable);

2. SRFC’s management committee (or any parties so delegated by the management committee) (“Committee”) are empowered to seek RFU consent in accordance to Regulation 4 of the RFU Regulations to fully implement the merger/integration of the Lions in accordance with the provisions of Proposal 1 above;

3. The Committee are empowered to agree such documents and put in place such arrangements or agreements with the Lions or any other third party as shall be required (including the RFU) as shall be expedient to give effect to the provisions of Proposal 1 above; and

4. The Committee shall be empowered to take all and any ancillary actions as may be required to give effect to the provisions of Proposal 1 above."

This seems to be about re-integrating Stourbridge Lions into Stourbridge RFC rather than anything about Worcester.

Previously, second teams were not allowed in the RFU Leagues so Stourbridge spun their second team out into a new club, the Lions, so that they could enter the league system and get regular matches. After recent changes 2nd XVs are allowed into the league system (with some caveats about how high and how near to first teams), so Stourbridge and other clubs who did this are re-incorporating them into the main clubs.

I remember there being some dispute in Stourbridge as to why this didn't happen before, can't remember the details though.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It seems the saga rumbles on. RFU being firm with Worcester, not so much with Wasps?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65252432
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Meanwhile Wasps plan building a 24k capacity stadium "the wasps nest"

Maybe they can sell bonds to raise the money for the build?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... by-2025-26
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:16 am Meanwhile Wasps plan building a 24k capacity stadium "the wasps nest"

Talk about growing organically. :smt017 How about start at 10-15k and work upwards!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:32 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:16 am Meanwhile Wasps plan building a 24k capacity stadium "the wasps nest"

Talk about growing organically. :smt017 How about start at 10-15k and work upwards!
How about simply actually getting a team and a ground for next season first and maybe work out where your home actually is and get some supporters. Oh, and earn some money as I suspect few investors would touch their stadium plans after what happened last time.

All stinks of smoke and mirrors to me. Make enough noise about how you are coming back stronger and what a big club you will be and the RFU will gloss over all of the current issues (as they seem to be more than willing to do).
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

GB72 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:49 am

How about simply actually getting a team and a ground for next season first and maybe work out where your home actually is and get some supporters. Oh, and earn some money as I suspect few investors would touch their stadium plans after what happened last time.

All stinks of smoke and mirrors to me. Make enough noise about how you are coming back stronger and what a big club you will be and the RFU will gloss over all of the current issues (as they seem to be more than willing to do).
It certainly doesn't feel like equitable dealing between the RFU and the 2 clubs. Wasps seem to be guaranteed a place in the championship, come what may; whereas Steve Diamond's bid was rejected and the new franchise seem to be forced down to tier 5 whatever they do.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:12 am

It certainly doesn't feel like equitable dealing between the RFU and the 2 clubs. Wasps seem to be guaranteed a place in the championship, come what may; whereas Steve Diamond's bid was rejected and the new franchise seem to be forced down to tier 5 whatever they do.
To be fair, much of the problem with Worcester was due to the administrators and the RFU actually seems to be awake to what they were doing. Worcester is an out and out land grab and once they are out of the headlines, rugby will cease and Sixways will be developed. Wasps, on the other hand, do not seem to have taken any steps towards having a team or a ground in place but the RFU are doing all they can to keep them going in as high a league as possible.

I actually think that the RFU have done well in standing their ground with Worcester but are failing with Wasps and I would want to see a lot more detail about their plans going forward before deciding on their league position.;
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:12 am

GB - well quite. I was being charitable. If they want a Prem standard stadium maybe start small was more my point and hope that some people turn up!

Hob - the RFU didn't reject Diamond's bid though; the administrators did. They have different priorities to the RFU. The new owners - chosen by the administrator - refused to pay off the rugby creditors and hence came up with a plan to enable them to enter at tier 5.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Reading what the RFU statement said as reported by the BBC, Worcester have been told they cannot buy a league place, they will not be starting at level 5 unless they remain named as Stourbridge. It would seem Wuss begin right at the bottom or vanish.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I also saw this the other day...

New parent company for Worcester has overdue accounts...

https://twitter.com/spkeene/status/1645 ... n5tDA&s=19
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Interesting they have mentioned M40 corridor. I guessed at somewhere around Bicester when this came up last year. Still I wonder how the holders of the worthless bonds are feeling about this.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

M40 corridor stretches from Warwick to West London, if my geography is correct.
Imaging they would look to stay out of South Warwickshire and Northants, I would guess they would be looking at Oxfordshire Bucks way.
High Wycombe maybe !!!!!!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

:smt050 as

Time to roll out the hoary old Yogi Berra line…”It’s deja vu all over again” 🤦‍♂️