Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester’s woes

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://archive.ph/YtK3d

Same article minus the paywall...

So it looks like Worcester are going to be suspended for the full season tomorrow, relegated from the prem AND have their P shares bought by the league (not another club)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:29 pm

So it looks like Worcester are going to be suspended for the full season tomorrow, relegated from the prem AND have their P shares bought by the league (not another club)
Does this maybe suggest that PRL think that who ever comes into Wuss won't be able to put humpty dumpty back together again before the start of the next season?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wigworth wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:58 am

Does this maybe suggest that PRL think that who ever comes into Wuss won't be able to put humpty dumpty back together again before the start of the next season?
Possibly, but the whole buying the P shares so cheaply suggests they may be using it as a way to get down to a closed 12 team league with no bye weeks.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

wigworth wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:58 am

I am not sure how they can. If the team has not played for a season, there is no revenue, players will be leaving, you will have a squad that will not have played a competitive match for 12 months. I am not sure how you get that back to a team that would not look massively out of place in the Premiership. You also have to find investors who not balk at having to finance the club in full for basically a year with no income and just ever increasing outgoings.

My thought unfortunately, was that if the club cannot be put back together and be up and running in the next couple of weeks, that was likely to be the end.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Real shame for Worcester and not good for all teams finances losing a home game in these times.
A2O
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Worcester players to have contracts terminated - WRFC Players Ltd wound up in High Court

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63142239
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I guess that is it then for Worcester. No players, no staff, no club. A really sad day.

I assume that the loan players now cannot be classed as such and clubs would need to find the funds to sign them up on permanent contracts.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:01 am Real shame for Worcester and not good for all teams finances losing a home game in these times.
Absolutely Gloucester reckon £400k, Tigers would be a lot more than that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:36 am I guess that is it then for Worcester. No players, no staff, no club. A really sad day.

I assume that the loan players now cannot be classed as such and clubs would need to find the funds to sign them up on permanent contracts.
Very good point re the loans.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I loved going to Worcs and am very sad to see this happen to a great club. I don't feel that we will be able to sign anyone as my memory says that Bothwicks said a few months ago that we have spent right up to the cap or it may have been very close to it - not quite sure which. So unless the Prem comes up with a new rule to enable clubs who had not planned to expand their squad because of the cap to do so, we are probably not in a position to sign anyone. A very sad day for 40+ professional rugby players, most of whom are now out of work. Equally not sure how Bath can afford to pay 4 new players, even if it is on loan. They must have been well below the cap on the squad they put together to start the season.
Hehehehehehehehe
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:48 am I loved going to Worcs and am very sad to see this happen to a great club. I don't feel that we will be able to sign anyone as my memory says that Bothwicks said a few months ago that we have spent right up to the cap or it may have been very close to it - not quite sure which. So unless the Prem comes up with a new rule to enable clubs who had not planned to expand their squad because of the cap to do so, we are probably not in a position to sign anyone. A very sad day for 40+ professional rugby players, most of whom are now out of work. Equally not sure how Bath can afford to pay 4 new players, even if it is on loan. They must have been well below the cap on the squad they put together to start the season.
My guess would have been (and it is a totally uneducated guess) that the players on loan would be playing for expenses and little else just so as they could keep training and stay sharp for a month. Now that they have no contracts, they are going to have to look for full pay positions at clubs.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Premiership rugby are going to have to take a decision very quickly on this. Not ideal when clubs are already in debt but surely expand the cap a little so that some of these players can find new clubs.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:01 pm Premiership rugby are going to have to take a decision very quickly on this. Not ideal when clubs are already in debt but surely expand the cap a little so that some of these players can find new clubs.
This is why I asked the other day if the RPA are doing anything. Surely it should be them trying hardest to lobby PRL to get some sort of deal in place to allow these players to be signed at least till the end of the season.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:01 am

Possibly, but the whole buying the P shares so cheaply suggests they may be using it as a way to get down to a closed 12 team league with no bye weeks.
[/quote]

Except there is still a strong chance Wasps will be joining them in the Championship, so what happens then with no promotion up?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:01 am

Except there is still a strong chance Wasps will be joining them in the Championship, so what happens then with no promotion up?
[/quote]

I am guessing clubs will be invited to join the league. I am not wholly against that at the moment as I would be more interested in a stable, well run club that has a sold and significant fan base than the latest fly by night team with rich backers and nobody in the stands.