Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford and Handrè Pollard discussions

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:36 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:28 am
ay2oh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:12 pm we will have to agree to disagree then. People forget how many games Ford has won for us including almost single handedly saving us from relegation. His passing game has no peers as well as his game management being top drawer. I don’t doubt that Pollard is a very good player but let us see how he plays for us before labelling him the messiah.
I think Guy Thompson arguably saved us more
Thompson played well in one game v Newcastle. If it wasn’t for Ford that game would have been irrelevant .
Wasn’t one game at all mate!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I don’t think anyone is ever going to underestimate Ford’s contribution over the last 3 seasons, but life isn’t just about rugby he wanted to move back home he and his future wife have a couple of businesses and their life ahead.
Pollard is slightly different to Ford in terms of he is more physical and he kicks further off the tee. Both are good things and as SBs plan is about territory management and defence I think he will fit in perfectly. Just to make it clear I’m not saying we don’t use our backs because obviously we do but territory management and defence have to be right first.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:41 am
ay2oh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:12 pm we will have to agree to disagree then. People forget how many games Ford has won for us including almost single handedly saving us from relegation. His passing game has no peers as well as his game management being top drawer. I don’t doubt that Pollard is a very good player but let us see how he plays for us before labelling him the messiah.
When we finished 11th and Newcastle went down wasn't Ford the league's top point scorer?

Whether Pollard turns out to be better or not than Ford we shouldn't forget how phenomenally good Ford has been for Tigers. His performance away at the Gardens last season was nothing short of a masterclass and is up there as possibly the best individual performance I've seen in the Prem. I'm glad we got to thank Ford and Genge for their service to the club with a winners medal at the end of the season.

On a slight tangent, interesting how SA were using Pollard. He was at first receiver but almost played like a 12 at times taking the ball to the line, because he and de Allende both ran hard and straight if tied in the ABs defence so when Pollard went out the back there was space for the other playmakers in the Book backline to attack wide. I would have liked to see him vary his passing and hit big runners off his shoulders a bit more as he did that infrequently but with effect when he did.
I would love to see SB use Pollard exactly like that, our centres would need good hands and run very hard into the opposition, just like Nandolo did in his prime.
Ford was very very good at the kicking game but we were getting predictable, Pollard has a more rounded game, never afraid to take up the ball, George was much more a kick it and retreat to cover FH.
I just hope we can play Pollards way.
We cannot replicate Ford and Genge, but our replacements will, I hope, give us the scope to expand our style.
Cant wait for season. COYTs
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:37 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:41 am

When we finished 11th and Newcastle went down wasn't Ford the league's top point scorer?

Whether Pollard turns out to be better or not than Ford we shouldn't forget how phenomenally good Ford has been for Tigers. His performance away at the Gardens last season was nothing short of a masterclass and is up there as possibly the best individual performance I've seen in the Prem. I'm glad we got to thank Ford and Genge for their service to the club with a winners medal at the end of the season.

On a slight tangent, interesting how SA were using Pollard. He was at first receiver but almost played like a 12 at times taking the ball to the line, because he and de Allende both ran hard and straight if tied in the ABs defence so when Pollard went out the back there was space for the other playmakers in the Book backline to attack wide. I would have liked to see him vary his passing and hit big runners off his shoulders a bit more as he did that infrequently but with effect when he did.
I would love to see SB use Pollard exactly like that, our centres would need good hands and run very hard into the opposition, just like Nandolo did in his prime.
Ford was very very good at the kicking game but we were getting predictable, Pollard has a more rounded game, never afraid to take up the ball, George was much more a kick it and retreat to cover FH.
I just hope we can play Pollards way.
We cannot replicate Ford and Genge, but our replacements will, I hope, give us the scope to expand our style.
Cant wait for season. COYTs
The issue with playing like that is you need a secondary playmaker in the backline to play the out of the back role. Ford was exceptional for us in that he operated the backs by himself for large periods.

Gopperth coming in might help with that or we might see a Pollard/Burns combination interchanging at 10 and 12 with Kelly at 13. Maybe Kelly or Steward will take on additional duties in the backline. Be interesting to see how we work it.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I have always had reservations about Ford since he went to Bath.

He is one of the best tactical kickers in the game, but for me he has always been rather conservative in his play, if we are to continue to evolve as a team his departure might not necessarily be a bad thing, whether Pollard is the right man to take the team forward we shall see, I do wonder how long it will take him to settle in.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
glenn

Post by glenn »

We seemed to be a lot more fluid having Burns at fh, ford was/is brilliant, but, when he played we looked quite predictable. Not that it will happen, but imagine of you will....
9 jvp
10 burns
12 pollard
13 gopperth

That would be very unpredictable!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

glenn wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:32 pm We seemed to be a lot more fluid having Burns at fh, ford was/is brilliant, but, when he played we looked quite predictable. Not that it will happen, but imagine of you will....
9 jvp
10 burns
12 pollard
13 gopperth

That would be very unpredictable!
Given some unusual planetary alignment that could happen, however I think it would be far from Borths comfort zone :smt044
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:29 pm I have always had reservations about Ford since he went to Bath.

He is one of the best tactical kickers in the game, but for me he has always been rather conservative in his play, if we are to continue to evolve as a team his departure might not necessarily be a bad thing, whether Pollard is the right man to take the team forward we shall see, I do wonder how long it will take him to settle in.
I think he's pragmatic but he's also more than happy to play five phases to create a gap rather than playing more risky strategies to create on sooner. That patience is pretty unusual in rugby. Burns doesn't have it he's more of the naturally creative flyhalfs you see, he certainly takes more risks. Ford is different gravy.

Pollard I think can play the Ford way, maybe doesn't have the same chess master level of foresight but he's also much more physical so swings and roundabouts. I think Pollard is at least as pragmatic as Ford if not more so. I wouldn't rule out Burns being deployed to fullback in games where we need more creative spark, but then Borthwick used that tactic with Ford as well.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I don't think you can really compare Pollard with Ford. Well, obviously you can but it's pointless. They're two completely different players. The general feeling from looking at posts going back to when we signed him was a bit "meh", is he really all that ? I think we're going to be surprised. This is a World Cup winner who has driven a team through a high quality tournament and ultimately picked up the top prize. His kicking both from the tee and out of hand are very good. He offers a physical presence that will tie in additional defenders and leave space outside. Imagine him and Nadolo operating on the gain line, the decoys and plays that you'll be able to run to keep the defences guessing ! Oh, then there's Kelly as well ! Suddenly, the threats in attack mount up. I think he's perfect to take us to the next level. Can't wait to see him in action.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:34 pm I don't think you can really compare Pollard with Ford. Well, obviously you can but it's pointless. They're two completely different players. The general feeling from looking at posts going back to when we signed him was a bit "meh", is he really all that ? I think we're going to be surprised. This is a World Cup winner who has driven a team through a high quality tournament and ultimately picked up the top prize. His kicking both from the tee and out of hand are very good. He offers a physical presence that will tie in additional defenders and leave space outside. Imagine him and Nadolo operating on the gain line, the decoys and plays that you'll be able to run to keep the defences guessing ! Oh, then there's Kelly as well ! Suddenly, the threats in attack mount up. I think he's perfect to take us to the next level. Can't wait to see him in action.
agree with all this except, Pollard and Nadolo will pass each other like ships in the night. If we're lucky we might see a handful of games with them together but not enough for them to really gel.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford and Andre Pollard discussions

Post by johnthegriff »

Ford and Pollard both good players with similar but different strengths. Personally I am happy with what I see as our first choice options.in the backs.
9. Youngs/ JVP.
10. Pollard/ Burns
11. Potter/ Saumaki
12. Kelly/ Gopperth
13. Porter / Cockanasigna (sorry if spelt wrong)
Plus Scott covering 12 & 13.
14. Watson/ Murimurivalu
15. Steward. Cover here probably from one of the
Previously mentioned guys or a newcomer. That all looks pretty strong to me when adding in Nadolo and Hearty for the first half of the season and of course Simmons who covers 9. 15 and wing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:21 pm Ford and Pollard both good players with similar but different strengths. Personally I am happy with what I see as our first choice options.in the backs.
9. Youngs/ JVP.
10. Pollard/ Burns
11. Potter/ Saumaki
12. Kelly/ Gopperth
13. Porter / Cockanasigna (sorry if spelt wrong)
Plus Scott covering 12 & 13.
14. Watson/ Murimurivalu
15. Steward. Cover here probably from one of the
Previously mentioned guys or a newcomer. That all looks pretty strong to me when adding in Nadolo and Hearty for the first half of the season and of course Simmons who covers 9. 15 and wing.
Add Ashton to your options at 14, then you can put Watson or Murimurivalu as your second fullback option
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

George Ford is an incredible player, underrated by many Tigers fans. Handre Pollard will have to go some to be better than GF imho but his credentials suggest he's capable.

Replacing Genge is far more of an issue IMHO.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Seems I’m the minority in this thread, Ford was far more important, in my opinion, to the team.

I was gutted when Ford and Genge were announced, but not at all disappointed at Pollard being his replacement. Immediate thought was we’ll be able to be far more physical. Remains to be seen, obviously, but Pollard probably fits better with Borthwicks eventual game plan/style than Ford did.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

anz3001 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:09 pm Seems I’m the minority in this thread, Ford was far more important, in my opinion, to the team.

I was gutted when Ford and Genge were announced, but not at all disappointed at Pollard being his replacement. Immediate thought was we’ll be able to be far more physical. Remains to be seen, obviously, but Pollard probably fits better with Borthwicks eventual game plan/style than Ford did.
In terms of points scoring and game management are concerned Ford was more important. In terms of the work involved in bring a losing squad together into a premiership winning side within 18 months, the impact of Genge both on and off the paddock cannot be over stated.