Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford and Handrè Pollard discussions

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:34 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:25 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:20 pm I suspect Ford had been carring one of more injuries for some time.

Particularly the achilles one which finally let go in the final. I may be wrong but this may have been affecting his running game for some time. The darts through the gaps that he once had seemed to largely dissappear from his game which make him much more of a distributor from hand or with the boot. Perhaps we should not judge the last couple of seasons harshly with this in mind.

We were lucky to have Burns back as a quality replacement this season.
I did suspect when he suffered the final injury that there was a pre existing Achilles condition.
What cannot be argued is his 100% commitment to the side.
He was carrying it for the tail end of the season most definitely. At the start of the season when he was fully fit he was incredible. That away performance Vs Saints as we hammered them at the Gardens was pure magic.
Definitely, was it the Exeter game when Kelly kicked the points and he didn't do any kicking to try and get him back match fit.

Seem to think it was his first week back post 6N where his body hadn't been used to playing 80 and tweaked it. Was surprised we didn't give him a proper break then tbh..
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Ford was carrying an Achilles injury end of the Covid interrupted season if my memory is correct.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

BengalTiger wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:04 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:32 pm Couldnt disagree more. When it did go to plan it was often Ford who instigated the plan in the first place. Some of his long range passing and miss passes were top drawer. Regarding anonymous when the opposition got in his face this is no different from most other 10’s. Leaves a bit of a bad taste when players get criticised after they leave us.
Agreed, Ford was fantastic for us. Very few flyhalfs look good when on the back foot but Ford managed to be the Prem's top point scorer when he finished above Falcons to avoid relegation. Not someone who couldn't turn it on when things were tough.

As for not showing up in big games, well BT must have a short memory because Ford steered us past Saints in that semi final when our back was against the wall. High pressure in a big game and the cream definitely rose to the top.

Pollard has big shoes to fill but he's a high calibre player. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
No argument that Ford was at times top drawer, but I stand by my comment that he had a lot of mediocre games in a Tigers shirt over the previous seasons, last season he was outstanding (perhaps being dropped by England motivated him), at international level Pollard has a far better CV, that is not even an argument!
As for being top points scorer, is that a case of lies, damn lies and statistics? perhaps he scored most points because penalties were our only option as our forward were power puff and our backs were playing so poorly so no one could score tries?
And I stand by my comment that judging individual performances in a team game is, IMHO, iniquitous. As for relative CVs, compare Jonny Wilkinson's CV at Newcastle and Toulon. Basically the same player, and 2003 WC excepted, CVs are chalk and cheese. Yes, all players make individual errors, but a large part of how they perform is determined by the team's style and how well others do their job.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:00 pm
BengalTiger wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:04 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 pm

Agreed, Ford was fantastic for us. Very few flyhalfs look good when on the back foot but Ford managed to be the Prem's top point scorer when he finished above Falcons to avoid relegation. Not someone who couldn't turn it on when things were tough.

As for not showing up in big games, well BT must have a short memory because Ford steered us past Saints in that semi final when our back was against the wall. High pressure in a big game and the cream definitely rose to the top.

Pollard has big shoes to fill but he's a high calibre player. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
No argument that Ford was at times top drawer, but I stand by my comment that he had a lot of mediocre games in a Tigers shirt over the previous seasons, last season he was outstanding (perhaps being dropped by England motivated him), at international level Pollard has a far better CV, that is not even an argument!
As for being top points scorer, is that a case of lies, damn lies and statistics? perhaps he scored most points because penalties were our only option as our forward were power puff and our backs were playing so poorly so no one could score tries?
And I stand by my comment that judging individual performances in a team game is, IMHO, iniquitous. As for relative CVs, compare Jonny Wilkinson's CV at Newcastle and Toulon. Basically the same player, and 2003 WC excepted, CVs are chalk and cheese. Yes, all players make individual errors, but a large part of how they perform is determined by the team's style and how well others do their job.
What utter nonsense, how can you not judge individuals performance regardless of the team, good players improve those around them, mediocre players become anonymous, yes it is a team sport but if individuals cannot perform regardless they ain't that good!
I am not saying Ford is mediocre, he is good but not the messiah some on here seem to think.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Pollard has been released to us for treatment
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:14 am Pollard has been released to us for treatment
Sensible decision
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:14 am Pollard has been released to us for treatment

SA broke him and now we have to fix him just hope its not yet another serious knee injury. Save Liebenburg we have a very poor record for SA player injuries.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:42 am

SA broke him and now we have to fix him just hope its not yet another serious knee injury. Save Liebenburg we have a very poor record for SA player injuries.
You mean he got injured in a game of rugby which could have happened in any match.
He could have stayed with the South African squad but much better he comes to us so he can start integrating with the squad, learning the calls and the systems.
With the final South African game being on the same day as Tigers v Saints it’s unlikely we would have seen him much before mid October anyway.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

It's not as if Pollard's playing load has been high, as opposed Wiese.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:50 am

You mean he got injured in a game of rugby which could have happened in any match.
He could have stayed with the South African squad but much better he comes to us so he can start integrating with the squad, learning the calls and the systems.
With the final South African game being on the same day as Tigers v Saints it’s unlikely we would have seen him much before mid October anyway.
Pollard spent a season injured on the touchlines with an ACL whilst at Montpelier. Van Staden came to Tigers with a history of concussion. The latter also got injured playing in a game of rugby and that did not end well. SA did not send Pollard back to start integrating with the squad learning the calls and the systems. The reality is that Pollard was sent back because he is unfit to play rugby and he needs diagnosis and treatment. So who knows if and when he will play for Tigers?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:28 pm

Pollard spent a season injured on the touchlines with an ACL whilst at Montpelier. Van Staden came to Tigers with a history of concussion. The latter also got injured playing in a game of rugby and that did not end well. SA did not send Pollard back to start integrating with the squad learning the calls and the systems. The reality is that Pollard was sent back because he is unfit to play rugby and he needs diagnosis and treatment. So who knows if and when he will play for Tigers?
A fair point but it is all swings and roundabouts.If we still had Ford, he would be out until Xmas and whilst Pollard will not feature in the last match for SA, it may not be the case that the injury is serious. I guess he costs in terms of pay and expenses if he is with the squad and so it suits SA to send him back to us.

What we do have, that few can boast, is 2 very able stand ins to cover any time out.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It does mean, however, that he can begin to integrate with Tigers earlier than expected - every cloud....
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:28 pm

No one said that’s why South Africa sent him back so try not putting words in peoples mouths. It is a benefit that he is coming early for the reason stated.
From the sounds of it you would rather we didn’t sign any South Africans because they get injured.
But of course there is Wiese and Liebenberg
glenn

Post by glenn »

Seem to recall a guy called stransky who played for us a while back, he was a saffa . Oh oh and Fritz van heerden . Can't recall them being injured much
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I also don’t think it’s correct that Pollard spent the whole season on the touch line due to his ACL. Once he announced he was joining Tigers he was very much out of favour.