Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: George Ford and Handrè Pollard discussions

Post by anz3001 »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:12 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:36 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:46 pm

King Freddie or Air Steward?
The latest Ruck headline is that Quins have made Steward their prime target for next summer. Makes no sense really in regards of cost at a time that Smith needs a new contract and when they already have two fullbacks who suit their style of play better than Steward would.

Then again a few months ago it was Bristol, then it was Exeter, wonder who will be signing him next.
He'd be mad to go, I think, but then I figured we'd be able to keep one of Genge and Ford, so what do I know...
I genuinely believe the previous turmoil at the club had a lasting effect on those two. I’m not sure how much these younger guys were exposed to that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

IMHO. Genge and Fords decisions were both down to personal reasons and what has happened in the world at large, nothing to do with what happened at the club previously, as they were both key parts of the successful rebuild.
They could both have got better deals elsewhere, but Ellis is back with his family, and George has recently got married and he and his wife have businesses adjacent to each other, plus he is back near his family.
Sometimes there are things in life that are more important than money
Ace Rugby12

Post by Ace Rugby12 »

Old News now; but I heard Genge took a salary reduction for the first two years of his contract with his 3rd yr being more than double that of one of those yrs. This corresponds with the wage cap going up and him being able to be the marque player. Read into that what you will. So Pat lamb was little economical with the truth about Genge joining for a lower salary. Maybe for the first two yrs.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:12 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:36 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:46 pm

King Freddie or Air Steward?
The latest Ruck headline is that Quins have made Steward their prime target for next summer. Makes no sense really in regards of cost at a time that Smith needs a new contract and when they already have two fullbacks who suit their style of play better than Steward would.

Then again a few months ago it was Bristol, then it was Exeter, wonder who will be signing him next.
He'd be mad to go, I think, but then I figured we'd be able to keep one of Genge and Ford, so what do I know...
They left for personal reasons. Now Steward might have personal reasons as well but it might be that a high profile player is coming up for a contract renewal and negotiations are going slow. Easy column filler for journos at a time when there's not a lot of rugby to write about.

We're seeing the same with Sinckler this week with lots of chat about him moving next summer as well.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:49 am IMHO. Genge and Fords decisions were both down to personal reasons and what has happened in the world at large, nothing to do with what happened at the club previously, as they were both key parts of the successful rebuild.
They could both have got better deals elsewhere, but Ellis is back with his family, and George has recently got married and he and his wife have businesses adjacent to each other, plus he is back near his family.
George not just near family, their businesses are in Uppermill I believe, very close to his old RL club ground Saddleworth Rangers? It's also a lovely place to live.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:45 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:49 am IMHO. Genge and Fords decisions were both down to personal reasons and what has happened in the world at large, nothing to do with what happened at the club previously, as they were both key parts of the successful rebuild.
George not just near family, their businesses are in Uppermill I believe, very close to his old RL club ground Saddleworth Rangers? It's also a lovely place to live.
You’re right. Can be a beautiful place I always picture Saddleworth Moor as you drive on the M62 which can be a really dire place with a Macabre history.