Castro

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Castro

Post by mightymouse »

I was sent something saying Castro had said his claim to Italian hertitage was through his great grandfather therefore should not have played for them.
That came via twitter though so could be complete tosh!
If true I imagine Argentina must be fuming!
Anyone seen anything else about that. Can’t see anything if you google it?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Castro

Post by mol2 »

Surely this would have been checked at the time - after all it was a hot topic with the Shane Howarth fiasco
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Yep quite a bit about it flying round on Twitter.

Obviously getting attention post Spain being kicked out of the World cup.

So summary of it as I can see.

Castro did an interview talking about how his Great Grandfather was Italian.

Italy allows people to claim passports for dual citizenship though a great grandparent.

World Rugby allow you to play for a national team based on grandparents only, so technically can be a citizen of a country but also not be eligible to play for them.

Also Castro did qualify for Italy based on residency as he played there for more than 3 years (eligibility was 36 months then)

However first few caps I think were before that.

So summary, was he eligible for his first few caps, nobody is sure? He didn't in the interview state his grandmother wasn't Italian. So could be a storm in a teacup...

Getting attention also because Italy qualified for the 2003 WC at the expense of Spain, who are missing this World Cup due to player ineligiblity.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

"In an exclusive interview with Rugby Champagne, he revealed: ““Grandpa Castro was born in Argentina, his name was José María. The one who was Italian was my great-grandfather, Ángel, who was born in Sicily, in Franco Forte”."
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:20 pm "In an exclusive interview with Rugby Champagne, he revealed: ““Grandpa Castro was born in Argentina, his name was José María. The one who was Italian was my great-grandfather, Ángel, who was born in Sicily, in Franco Forte”."
Yes but where his Grandpa was born is irrelevant IF his Grandma was born in Italy, just because he has an Italian Great grandfather from whom he gets his Italian surname doesn't mean his Grandma isn't Italian.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.