Top priority/biggest loss

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Top priority/biggest loss

Post by Rob18C »

Just been reading a couple of articles (don’t know how trustworthy the sources are!) that contract negotiations with Freddie Steward may have broken down and he could look for an alternative club next year.

This would obviously be some of the worst news possible but it also got me thinking about who would be the biggest loss to the team and I was trying to pick my top 5 and wanted to get others opinions.

So the 5 I decided on in no particular order was Steward, Kelly, Montoya, Liebenberg and Chessum

I understand with salary cap reductions this year it’s hard to keep everyone happy but these were the 5 I came up with. I tried to restrict it to 5 although I could have easily come up with 10 names!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Top priority/biggest loss

Post by Dokie »

Rob18C wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:42 pm Just been reading a couple of articles (don’t know how trustworthy the sources are!) that contract negotiations with Freddie Steward may have broken down and he could look for an alternative club next year.

This would obviously be some of the worst news possible but it also got me thinking about who would be the biggest loss to the team and I was trying to pick my top 5 and wanted to get others opinions.

So the 5 I decided on in no particular order was Steward, Kelly, Montoya, Liebenberg and Chessum

I understand with salary cap reductions this year it’s hard to keep everyone happy but these were the 5 I came up with. I tried to restrict it to 5 although I could have easily come up with 10 names!
If you look at it in terms of the player’s level compared to his understudy, Reffell and Montoya are clearly the top two, followed by Pollard, Wiese and Steward.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Rob18C wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:42 pm Just been reading a couple of articles (don’t know how trustworthy the sources are!) that contract negotiations with Freddie Steward may have broken down and he could look for an alternative club next year.

It was rumoured that he was seen having a meal with Rob Baxter at the same time he was in Ibiza with some of the other England lads.
At the end of the day he is now one of the hot properties in world rugby and there are bound to be speculation and rumours about his future. When it comes to new contracts Tigers will have to take into account that for a minimum of the next 5 years he is going to be away with England for 3 months of the season.

Biggest losses there are now a number because of the progress made but if push came to shove I would go Reffell, Steward, JVP, Kelly, Liebenberg
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Firstly gonna post RB's post from the squad and signings page, as all the rumours on Steward seem to have been based on this one article he discusses
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:16 am Just thought I’ll put this in here

Fissler saying Talks with Steward have stalled and he might leave.

Now to put cold water on this.

I doubt tigers have even started talks with Steward considering the last 2 months we have
1. Been building up towards the Plays offs and finals
2. He’s then been away in Australia playing rugby.

So the chances of tigers doing any contracts talks in that time period is zero. Wouldn’t be fair to the player or us.

As I’ve said before if Fissler says that such and such has joined such and such it means it’s done anything else is usually 90% :censored:

I only put this up because I know someone is, but zero reasons to get stressed out about it.

So I wouldn't be too worried about Steward as yet Rob.

As for most irreplaceable player...

I'd say Montoya, he is a step up from any Hooker in the world right now. We have depth their but there is a big drop off from him even if the other Hookers we have are top drawer club Hookers.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Would be a real shame to lose Steward, especially as he came through the academy. We really should be trying to keep those type of players, but at the same time, we can't be held to ransom. Although it's very possible that the club is holding him to ransom...

He deff would be one of the biggest losses, along with others mentioned above, all the great academy/young lads like Kelly, JVP, Chessum, Martin would all be massive losses. Liebenburg is very important for me. Got to captain next season.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I'm not convinced this kind of speculation is too healthy. But I am a little surprised no one has included any of our half-backs!?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:38 am I'm not convinced this kind of speculation is too healthy. But I am a little surprised no one has included any of our half-backs!?
JVP has been mentioned twice, and Pollard once even though he hasn't even played for us yet. Burns would also be a big loss for us though, every club should have a Sir Freddie Burns.

Edit: Actually no, only we should have a Sir Freddie Burns!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not sure how long Burns contract is, but if 2 years I could see him returning to Japan at the end of next season. The club he played for has now been promoted to their top league.
With Gopperth having signed for 2 years and some good youngsters coming through it will depend on the offer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If the any of our players harbour England international ambitions, then Leicester is the place to be, if players from other nations wish to further careers then Tigers are the club to be with, our celebrated history proves that and our recent rise from mediocrity to Champions proves that we are still the best club to be a part of, player welfare, conditioning and medical is second to none in the world. Going to Japan or France is where players are likely to get a better salary and that could end international careers. I'm sure players will leave and go elsewhere if they either want to top up their retirement fund, or if they are not regular starters and want game time, that has always happened, Tigers will carry on, we have done in the past, as one great retires or leaves another comes along.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:22 am If the any of our players harbour England international ambitions, then Leicester is the place to be, if players from other nations wish to further careers then Tigers are the club to be with, our celebrated history proves that and our recent rise from mediocrity to Champions proves that we are still the best club to be a part of, player welfare, conditioning and medical is second to none in the world. Going to Japan or France is where players are likely to get a better salary and that could end international careers. I'm sure players will leave and go elsewhere if they either want to top up their retirement fund, or if they are not regular starters and want game time, that has always happened, Tigers will carry on, we have done in the past, as one great retires or leaves another comes along.
Really love your positivity TB which brightens up my day. :smt023
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:32 am

Firstly gonna post RB's post from the squad and signings page, as all the rumours on Steward seem to have been based on this one article he discusses
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:16 am Just thought I’ll put this in here

Fissler saying Talks with Steward have stalled and he might leave.

Now to put cold water on this.

I doubt tigers have even started talks with Steward considering the last 2 months we have
1. Been building up towards the Plays offs and finals
2. He’s then been away in Australia playing rugby.

So the chances of tigers doing any contracts talks in that time period is zero. Wouldn’t be fair to the player or us.

As I’ve said before if Fissler says that such and such has joined such and such it means it’s done anything else is usually 90% :censored:

I only put this up because I know someone is, but zero reasons to get stressed out about it.

So I wouldn't be too worried about Steward as yet Rob.

As for most irreplaceable player...

I'd say Montoya, he is a step up from any Hooker in the world right now. We have depth their but there is a big drop off from him even if the other Hookers we have are top drawer club Hookers.
Imo,Marx is better……just! But it’s very very close. Tomorrow I might say Montoya is better.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am not to worried about these rumours. Simple fact is that for any player that has England aspirations, there are only a limited number of clubs that can offer the sort of salaries the players are looking for and the cap means that no club can easily offer massive amounts more than another. We have the benefit of maybe being able to offer a little more due to the academy route. The player cannot be a marquee at another club and so, unless there is a massive desire to play at another club or move elsewhere in the country, we are always going to be in a prime position.

What I actually hope to start seeing is us creating a bit of a winning dynasty that means we do not have to pay over the odds to players, they want to come here to win things and further their career, like how it used to be.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I really can't see Steward going, he's probably gonna be an England regular for years and that's 20/25k a game and he's at a club that wants to dominate domestically and in Europe. He's a nice kid so that rules out Sarries so realistically wheres he gonna go?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:13 am I really can't see Steward going, he's probably gonna be an England regular for years and that's 20/25k a game and he's at a club that wants to dominate domestically and in Europe. He's a nice kid so that rules out Sarries so realistically wheres he gonna go?
Judging by his Instagram, he does seem to spend a lot of time in London. So, if any of you see Quins/LI staff sniffing around Leicester, scare them away.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 am
tigerburnie wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:22 am If the any of our players harbour England international ambitions, then Leicester is the place to be, if players from other nations wish to further careers then Tigers are the club to be with, our celebrated history proves that and our recent rise from mediocrity to Champions proves that we are still the best club to be a part of, player welfare, conditioning and medical is second to none in the world. Going to Japan or France is where players are likely to get a better salary and that could end international careers. I'm sure players will leave and go elsewhere if they either want to top up their retirement fund, or if they are not regular starters and want game time, that has always happened, Tigers will carry on, we have done in the past, as one great retires or leaves another comes along.
Really love your positivity TB which brightens up my day. :smt023
I am available for motivational speaking lol
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.