No SPOTY for Tigers then!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

No SPOTY for Tigers then!!

Post by ads »

Was hoping we'd have a chance at team of the year, maybe manager/coach of the year for Borths....

Bledy women soccerballerists!!

I am joking, well done the Lionesses!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: No SPOTY for Tigers then!!

Post by Scott1 »

ads wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:42 pm Was hoping we'd have a chance at team of the year, maybe manager/coach of the year for Borths....

Watched it ,the level is laughable but congratulations all round, shown the men up! Well done ladies,enjoy your celebrations 🍾
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:52 pm
ads wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:42 pm Was hoping we'd have a chance at team of the year, maybe manager/coach of the year for Borths....

Watched it ,the level is laughable but congratulations all round, shown the men up! Well done ladies,enjoy your celebrations 🍾
The level is the level. They’ve not been professional for long. Brilliant effort and refreshing to see.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:52 pm

I don't remember laughing during the match, just choking back tears of pride and admiration at the end.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Throughout the tournament the 'gals' played with spirit and not too little skill
No excess rolling around or surrounding the ref.
On the subject of the finals ref she wasn't tolerant for wrestling and shirtpulling; good on her - a message to the so called men?
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SuperEagle »

The ladies did us proud.
If the Red Roses bring home the World Cup from New Zealand, it'll be interesting to see which team gets the SPOTY award
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tbf even a nomination for SPOTY would be good
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

SuperEagle wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:43 pm The ladies did us proud.
If the Red Roses bring home the World Cup from New Zealand, it'll be interesting to see which team gets the SPOTY award
Unfortunately, football every time. OK, there is not a public vote for the team but most people care very little for rugby outside of the mens' internationals and so based on populist opinion, the football wins every time. Even if it were a home World Cup final, I cannot see a TV audience of over 17 million for the Red Roses however much I wish that were not the case,
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

In fact, I was sad enough to look at the stats and no Union club side has ever won the award. 2 league sides have but the union teams to win team of the year have been either England, the Lions or, just once, Scotland. Bearing in mind some of the great exploits of clubs in the past, not sure that one will ever win that honour.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

only possible chance for Rugby to be represented would be if England's Women Rugby win the delayed World Cup this autumn. Sadly as it's in New Zealand the KO times will dent the potential TV audience figures and therefore press/media coverage here in the UK. Add to that with coverage being on ITV the BBC are unlikely to be hugely supportive. The good news is they have a fantastic chance of winning it and, I for one, will be watching as many games as I can on TV
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Used to be a must watch for me but that changed when they took it out of the studio and put it in these bigger venues.
As others have said it will always be the popular vote that wins unless there is some outstanding performance such as an AJ McCoy or a Flintoff, that is usually a footballer. There was one instance in the not too distant past where a footballer won, may have been Giggs, and a lot of head scratching ensued. It may have been after that when a shortlist was introduced decided by experts.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:09 pm Used to be a must watch for me but that changed when they took it out of the studio and put it in these bigger venues.
As others have said it will always be the popular vote that wins unless there is some outstanding performance such as an AJ McCoy or a Flintoff, that is usually a footballer. There was one instance in the not too distant past where a footballer won, may have been Giggs, and a lot of head scratching ensued. It may have been after that when a shortlist was introduced decided by experts.
Giggs turned out well.......
To win is not as important as playing with style!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I thought the whole tournament was excellent, and especially, as I am English, the final!
Lovely to see:
All the fans together with no aggression (as in rugby),
None of the players rolling around on the ground pretending to be injured and trying to get their opponent a yellow card (as in rugby),
No poncing about then taking a throw in (ooh, not quite the same with some rugby teams such as Sarries who just take all the time they can for a line out if they are winning)
No screaming at the ref (as in rugby)

Overall wonderful. Even up there with a certain Saturday at Twickenham.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

CJ wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:59 pm I thought the whole tournament was excellent, and especially, as I am English, the final!
Lovely to see:
All the fans together with no aggression (as in rugby),
None of the players rolling around on the ground pretending to be injured and trying to get their opponent a yellow card (as in rugby),
No poncing about then taking a throw in (ooh, not quite the same with some rugby teams such as Sarries who just take all the time they can for a line out if they are winning)
No screaming at the ref (as in rugby)

Overall wonderful. Even up there with a certain Saturday at Twickenham.
I loved the interviews after and celebrations,i heard they did a Flintoff today 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the competition, much to my surprise.. A proud moment when we came out well deserved winners .

Very well done, ladies. :smt023