Womens Team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Womens Team

Post by Darc Tiger »

Must admit, we've signed more players than I thought we would, but maybe the fact we've massively overshot our season ticket target has allowed the club to cast its net wider and have bigger pool to draw from. As well as we did last season, the squad did need significant additions to ensure we can put up a fight in the Prem, and we simply don't know which of our squad will ultimately be able to make the step up. Lots of younger and raw players with growth potential, and we haven't gone huge with the marquee signings, so hopefully the competition will allow the cream to float to the top.

5 more announced today, with more promised tomorrow.

Maddie Massey (Lock) Cheltenham
Amy Orrow (Number 8) Sale
Tami Agboola (Wing) Kenilworth
Caitlin Clark (Prop) Wasps
Sydney Mead (Outside back) Wasps

Massey (Cheltenham captain) and Orrow (impressed me in our match vs the RAF) bring a bit of experience, and the other three add to our collection of youngsters.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

ancientmariner wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:32 pm Signing all these experienced/international players is fine, but many of the girls who achieved so much last season must be wondering where it leaves them. A common problem in all sports when a team is promoted from a lower division.
As half the matchday squad have to be English qualified then I think there will be quite a lot of rotation of the incoming players
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Women’s team make 4 more signings to more or less complete signings by the sounds of it.

Scottish internationals Eva Donaldson (lock/flanker), Elis Martin (hooker), Francesca McGhie (winger/outside centre and Evie Wills (inside centre).

Expecting perhaps a full squad confirmation announcement at 12?

Maybe then mens in the afternoon or next week.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Four great young players, all centrally contracted, which is a big deal right now.

Cokayne the only real superstar that we've gone for, but we've assembled a large group of young and hungry players for the coaches to get their teeth into.

Might take us some time to hit our stride, especially compared to the big guns, but I think we should be competitive with the bottom half and the potential is high.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Holly Aitchson announced as leaving Sarries and has played for Lichfield in the past - could she be the final piece in the Tigress jigsaw?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:23 am Holly Aitchson announced as leaving Sarries and has played for Lichfield in the past - could she be the final piece in the Tigress jigsaw?
Partners with Hannah Botterman, who has signed for Bristol, so that's the smart money. Would be mega though.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:00 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:23 am Holly Aitchson announced as leaving Sarries and has played for Lichfield in the past - could she be the final piece in the Tigress jigsaw?
Partners with Hannah Botterman, who has signed for Bristol, so that's the smart money. Would be mega though.
Hadn’t picked up Botterman was her partner. Big signing for whoever! Interestingly the Sarries press release mentioned “personal circumstances and positional challenge” as the reason/s for her departure!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... ugby-squad

Full squad for next season announced
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't know much about womens rugby but sounds like McQueen is sticking close to Borthwick's way
Young promising players with a top class hooker.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:24 pm https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... ugby-squad

Good squad for our first year in the league - expectations have been kept realistic by the club and I'm pleased they haven't gone out to sign stars to win at all costs. Obviously I'd like to see success (and see some big stars in the team) but it will take a few years for us to be competing at the top end of the league and steady improvements in the squad make up is the way to go.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Couple of names in the squad that haven't had any form of announcement.

Linzi Taylor, a pretty experienced centre from DMP

Lottie Bozon, back three from Lichfield. She trialed for us a couple of years ago when we were setting up, and appears to now be a community coach for us.

Just two not retained from last year's squad, Molly Sanghera and Georgia Bradley. Surprised by the latter, unless she's gone back to Lightning.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

TigerXV wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:04 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:24 pm https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... ugby-squad

Good squad for our first year in the league - expectations have been kept realistic by the club and I'm pleased they haven't gone out to sign stars to win at all costs. Obviously I'd like to see success (and see some big stars in the team) but it will take a few years for us to be competing at the top end of the league and steady improvements in the squad make up is the way to go.
6th place is probably our ceiling for next season. Ealing, Worcester, Sale and Lightning should be our targets, whilst aiming to keep the scores as respectable as possible against the rest.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:11 pm Liking the women's training kit!

https://twitter.com/TigersWomens/status ... saEqw&s=19
Proper good kit that! 👏🏻
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:28 am Fingers crossed for Scarratt
I'm just hoping she can play again. She has a very tough injury to come back from.....
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?