Post by Darc Tiger »

Perhaps I should have been clearer :smt042
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Womens Team

Post by LE18 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:16 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:14 pm The club have added 2 additional coaches
Any details on who they are?
:smt046 Funny old language.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

With Awards Night on Tuesday, it will be the first time we'll have a Women's Player of the Season (and probably a Young Player of the Season), so I thought I'd throw together my shortlist based on what I've seen.

Player of the Season -

Molly Draycott: Surely the frontrunner. Ludicrous tryscoring record this season, primarily slicing teams apart from fullback, and has been working on her goalkicking through the season.

Katie Childs: The team always seems to function better with the Swedish international in the side. A powerful focal point in the centres, and primary goalkicker.

Roisin McBrien: As close to a Tommy Reffell as we've got in this team. Tireless workrate, and regularly comes up with big turnovers.

Georgia Westwood: Very much the engine of a pack that has been dominating all-comers, and boasts a great strike rate for a lock.

Ofure Ugiagbe: A crowd favourite, 'Fuz' is a wrecking ball on the carry, and the cornerstone of the strongest scrum in the league.

Honourable mentions: Captain Natasha Jones leads by example, forming a powerful centre partnership with Childs, and is our strongest kicker out of hand. Jade Jones (née Shakesphere) graduated from the 2nd row to the front row as the season developed, and has become a crucial cog, capable of bringing a power game to either side of the scrum. Zoë Evans and Lucrezia Iavarone both boast excellent tryscoring records from the wing.

Young Player of the Season -

Morgan Richardson: Could well be in the running for the top prize, but I'd have her as my pick for the Young Player award. An unusual positional combo of scrumhalf and flanker, she's electric with the ball in hand and tenacious in the defensive line.

Rebecca Church: Don't let her size fool you. 'Churchy' may not appear the most intimidating prop, but that hasn't stopped her forming a scrummaging partnership to fear with Ugiagbe, and is always in the thick of it.

Samantha Williams: Whilst she may still be developing her throwing skills, Sam has been the one to complete our dominant front row, and brings great dynamism around the park.

Ella-Mae Fereday: The youngest member of the squad, having just turned 19, but already cuts an imposing figure in the 2nd row. One to watch as we head into the Premier 15s.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

A message from Vicky ahead of Sunday's final - https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/a- ... from-vicky

Couple of things to highlight:

More than 4500 have committed to a women's season ticket so far "and this has given the club the base to be able to make some strong appointments to the coaching team and add some extra quality to the playing squad."

They probably won't all show up for every match, and some may just be putting a little money in to contribute to the project, but those kind of numbers would make us the best supported side in the league.

Also "all of the squad taking part in this year’s final, as well as some who are not featuring, will be offered a contract for next season in the Premier 15s."

Presumably these are relatively small, part-time contracts, but its a start. Just reward for the hard work over the past year, and hopefully gives the players some stability heading into the new challenges.
thunderbirds

Post by thunderbirds »

Thank you for all the updates- I enjoy reading them
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Are any of the Tigers squad likely to be knocking on the door of the Red Roses squad anytime soon
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:28 pm Are any of the Tigers squad likely to be knocking on the door of the Red Roses squad anytime soon
Right now, I'm gonna say no. That bar is very high, and the depth England have built in recent years is excellent. Plus, some of those girls have been full time professionals for 4 years now.

The step up to the Premier 15s will be substantial, especially when we come up against a stacked Sarries, Gloucester or Exeter. There are areas of our game that will have to adapt quickly, as they simply have not been tested with the level of opposition we've faced this season.

We'll need good coaches, and intelligent recruitment to try and make the transition to the next level for our players as smooth as possible. We won't know who is really gonna be up to it until we get stuck in, but with so much room to grow, progress could come pretty quickly.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:27 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:28 pm Are any of the Tigers squad likely to be knocking on the door of the Red Roses squad anytime soon
Right now, I'm gonna say no. That bar is very high, and the depth England have built in recent years is excellent. Plus, some of those girls have been full time professionals for 4 years now.

The step up to the Premier 15s will be substantial, especially when we come up against a stacked Sarries, Gloucester or Exeter. There are areas of our game that will have to adapt quickly, as they simply have not been tested with the level of opposition we've faced this season.

We'll need good coaches, and intelligent recruitment to try and make the transition to the next level for our players as smooth as possible. We won't know who is really gonna be up to it until we get stuck in, but with so much room to grow, progress could come pretty quickly.
Thank you DT that’s very helpful.
As you say many of the current England ladies have been professional for 4 years with a couple of World Cup cycles under their belts.
Progress will come quickly and with plenty of support
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

thunderbirds wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:24 pm Thank you for all the updates- I enjoy reading them
Seconded! :smt023
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Player of the season for Molly Draycott, as expected.

Slightly surprised Charlotte Fray won the young player award. Not because she hasnt played very well, but because she's played half the games as some other candidates. Even played against us once!

No denying the impact she's had in the tail end of the season though, and the coaches will have seen more of her. Maybe she's just been smashing the goals set for her.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

The team has been named for the final 'Battle of the Tigers' with Cheltenham. Our main rivals throughout the season, and last year's runaway winners. The last encounter with them was the away clash just before the christmas break, and we fought back twice to edge a very competitive match 19-26. This will be the first time the Championship final has been played at Twickenham.

Sunday, 3pm

We largely stick with the same side that overcame Old Albanians in the semifinal. Lucy Nye returns from captaining the RAF to start at scrumhalf, and Ellie Turner gets the nod over Amy Relf at flyhalf, a first start since the win over Bishop Auckland at Welford Road six weeks ago.

Nye's return to the side sees Morgan Richardson switch back to blindside in place of Tanya Bird. Kat Turner makes a surprise return from injury to strengthen the bench.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Being streamed on England rugby YouTube channel
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Farmboy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:32 pm Being streamed on England rugby YouTube channel
Great news for those who can't travel

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwiBH4CRI9s
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Good luck to the ladies.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:39 am Good luck to the ladies.
Anyone know how many coaches are on their way down? I’m on my way by train as I had other plans for London this weekend, and holding there’ll be lots of other Tigers fans joining me. Very excited about the prospect of a 1st trophy for a fantastic squad!