Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Womens Team

Post by Darc Tiger »

Started off a huge 2023 by extending our perfect record, with a 54-5 win over Worcester. Hattricks for Evans and Draycott.

Definitely a bit of rust after a month off, but had more than enough to work through it. First time I've seen us look a little underpowered in the setpiece during the first half, but grew into it as the game went on. Ball protection a bit sloppy too. Worked hard through a tricky, scoreless 3rd quarter before cutting loose at the end.

Our big point of difference is our offloading game, and an ability to shift the point of attack. Really have to credit our coaching team for instilling the confidence across the whole squad to offload, offer good support lines and get it wide when its on. Then there's some genuine gas in Richardson, Evans and Draycott especially. Big fan of McBrien at 7.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Really happy for the team scoring a great win this weekend, but less happy with the reporting on Tigers’ website - two mentions of ‘brutal’ several mentions of fight and battle and to say that a move broke someone’s ankles - even though it was obviously metaphorical not literal, sounds as though we’re encouraging the women’s team to expose themselves to as much injury as the men’s team. In light of all we now know about neurological damage to rugby players, why are we still thinking and writing like this? The women’s games were refreshing because they were lighter, with fewer serious collisions - is this to be lost? I’m seriously concerned about all our players’ wellbeing.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

If you haven't got enough live rugby this weekend, we're playing West Park Leeds at Leicester Forest RFC at 1400 on Saturday. Leeds are 3rd in the table, so should make for a decent challenge. Free entry.

1st choice scrum half Richardson is starting at openside!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Another strong performance today, 57-5. Good linespeed and breakdown work restricted WPL to limited territory. Some determined last ditch defending at the end of the first half keep them to only one try. We weren't as slick in the wide channels this time, but our ball protection was better, and we did lots of damage through the middle. I continue to be really impressed by Richardson. A rarity to see a scrumhalf playing in the backrow, but she was a real thorn in the side, and very dangerous with the ball. Cracking young player.

Was cool to see the giant Scarratt mural on the clubhouse wall too!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We're away against Loughborough Town on Sunday (3pm, Loughborough University), so relatively easy to travel to if people fancy a double helping of live rugby this weekend! We'll be looking to set the record straight, after they almost sprang a massive upset on us at Welford Road a few months back.

Mostly keeping continuity of selection, but Nye gets just a 2nd start at scrumhalf and Relf a 1st start at flyhalf. Pocket rocket Iavarone also returns to the side on the wing.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Well, we managed to follow up the worst half I've seen us play from the home fixture against Loughborough, with the another to start today's game. A huge scrum turnover at the end of the half led to us levelling things up at 10-10. Our attack was not firing at all, and we were getting pinged off the park.

I was starting to fear for the worst when we started the 2nd with a yellow card for repeat infringements, but we upped our level, and managed to shut them down in the 2nd half. We started protecting our ball better, carrying hard, offloading well and eventually breaking the stern resistance in the last quarter.

Couple of lovely scores in the 2nd half. Neat interplay between Childs and Draycott in the wide channel putting Iavarone clear to run it under the sticks, and a scything solo effort from Draycott at the end to score from inside our own half.

Big shift from Ugiagbe at tighthead. Excellent in the scrum, and got through a mountain of work around the park.

Final score of 10-34 looks comfortable, but going into the last quarter, this was a one score match. I think we'll be pretty happy to see the back of Loughborough Town this season. Still, we managed to dig ourselves out of a bit of a hole again, and maintain our perfect record.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

www.matthampson.co.uk
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Don't think that's updated yet. We're only one game behind after today.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Could someone pleases explain how Cheltenham have got 56 points?
My maths make 11 wins, 44, + 9 tbp + 1 lbp = 54

Worked it out 1 of the loses must have been a draw as odd number of draws in league
Last edited by Farmboy on Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Farmboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:21 pm Could someone pleases explain how Cheltenham have got 56 points?
I think it's because they've had 2 walkovers. Probably hasn't been logged as a try bonus, but awarded 5 points.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Cheltenham Ladies results below in link

https://www.englandrugby.com/fixtures-a ... 23#results
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:49 pm Cheltenham Ladies results below in link

https://www.englandrugby.com/fixtures-a ... 23#results
Won 9 Lost 2 And 2 walkovers
www.matthampson.co.uk
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:42 pm
Farmboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:21 pm Could someone pleases explain how Cheltenham have got 56 points?
I think it's because they've had 2 walkovers. Probably hasn't been logged as a try bonus, but awarded 5 points.
Thanks. Strange that there is an odd number of draws in the table
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Farmboy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:54 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:42 pm
Thanks. Strange that there is an odd number of draws in the table
There's 10 teams in the full table, and it does even out.