Womens Team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Womens Team

Post by Darc Tiger »

bendy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:21 pm You have to say it's a scandalous bit of scheduling to put the ladies kick off at essentially the same time as the men's.

They should have taken advantage of the men's early kick off and played the ladies match at 3pm.
Certainly not ideal, but I'll cut them a bit of slack, as it was rearranged from December and there's a lot going on this weekend, including Women's internationals.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

And now the fixture is cancelled, as Barnsley can't field a side...

Bit anticlimactic, but a double walkover for us, so maximum points for the season, and the North division title! :smt038

We'll go a month without a match to the semi-final, unless we can throw together another friendly. Not ideal.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Great news for Tigers but the bigger picture is worrying regarding the infrastructure of the game ! On one hand we have a massive squad many of whom can’t get a game every week and we face a lesser funded squad who can’t raise a team ! Something is clearly wrong ! Sports development is based on a foundation stage that builds a base for future progression into participation, performance and excellence ! The long term future of the sport relies on a total review of each level in both the men’s and women’s games.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

90/90
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:34 pm Image

90/90
Boom!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Many congratulations to our team! They’ve converted many to women’s rugby with their endeavours and I look forward to seeing how they handle next season’s more experienced opponents.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Many congratulations to our ladies team. Superb all season.
We got the chance to applaud them today but I hope we will get to see them on them pitch and cheer like mad at some point.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Surprise! Bonus fixture happening tomorrow at Leicester Forest RFC (1pm) against the Army. Don't know how long that's been in the schedule, because its the first I've heard of it, but I was hoping we'd arrange another fixture to fill this gap before the semi-final.

A few rested, and some fringe players are given a shot, but still looks a strong side. Lucy Nye is back for the first time in over a month. Burgham and Evans also get a chance on the wing, having had limited opportunities in recent weeks. Abi Gordon and Holly Williams form a new centre pairing.

Molly Sanghera gets a rare game, having spent more time playing for Lichfield. Ella-Mae Fereday gets a first start since the demolition in Harrogate, partnered by Jade Jones. She'll be starting her first game at lock since early November, having moved forward into prop for the bulk of the season. The impressive Charlotte Fray starts at 8, and that could be an important weapon for us in the playoffs with Kat Turner's injury. Sophie McMeekin is another who has spent most of her time this season with Lichfield, and may get a chance to impress from the bench.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

What a comeback!

We were very much second best in the first half against the Army. Easily the strongest team I've watched us face. Playing into a little bit of a wind, we struggled to string anything together against an tough, organised defence, and the Army capitalised on our mistakes with territory and nicely taken chances. Whilst we had the edge at scrumtime, their lineout was much better, and they were able to put pressure on our backfield, something I've been highlighting as a weakness. We trailed 0-15 at HT, and frankly didn't look at the races.

Must have been some halftime talk from Vicky, because we came out a different side, and immediately started exerting pressure in their half, and working our way back into the match. Much better continuity, excellent fight to win the ball back when we turned it over, and we keeping them trapped in their half for long periods. 0-15 became 24-15 when Fray picked off a critical intercept to go under the posts.

Job wasn't done though, with the Army always looking capable of doing damage and forced a nervy finish when they pulled back a late try, but the girls survived the closing set to win 24-20! Massive credit to the team for turning that around. A second half full of heart and belief. A really good test for us, heading into the playoffs.

Lucy Nye dealt pretty well with a very messy breakdown and kept the energy up in attack. Some really hard 80 minute shifts up front, too. Church, Williams, Jones and the backrow all worked tirelessly. But the match-winning performance was Charlotte Fray. I saw her coughing up her guts at least twice, but kept pushing through it with big carries, big shots, kicking for the lines, and 2 key tries to take the lead. Left everything out there. :smt038
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We face Old Albanians in the playoff semifinal at Leicester Forest RFC on Sunday 16th, 3pm. The exact same time as the men's match at Welford Road.

Unbelievable. :smt013
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:52 pm We face Old Albanians in the playoff semifinal at Leicester Forest RFC on Sunday 16th, 3pm. The exact same time as the men's match at Welford Road.

I’m assuming time and date have been set by the ruling body. Utterly stupid though either have it on another day or have an early or late kick off
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:56 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:52 pm We face Old Albanians in the playoff semifinal at Leicester Forest RFC on Sunday 16th, 3pm. The exact same time as the men's match at Welford Road.

I’m assuming time and date have been set by the ruling body. Utterly stupid though either have it on another day or have an early or late kick off
You may be right, as Bath vs Cheltenham seems to be at the same time... But I see no reason why another time slot couldn't have been found over the weekend.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Watch them clash the final with the Red Roses match at Twickenham...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

What an utter shambles this is.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:58 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:56 pm

You may be right, as Bath vs Cheltenham seems to be at the same time... But I see no reason why another time slot couldn't have been found over the weekend.
Maybe they feel mistakenly there is no fan base crossover. Be easy enough to have 12 noon kick off at Forest and then anyone who wants to watch the Exeter game can nip down the A47 to MWWR